What's new

New Infocus X1: Getting Everything to Work (1 Viewer)

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit
Pretty much self-explanatory...looking for opinions on best setup and best GAF (Girlfriend Acceptance Factor) and EOU (Ease of Use). I have the following:

Infocus X1
Toshiba SD 3750 Progressive Scan
Harman Kardon AVR525
Sony Playstation 2
Motorola Digital Cable Box (w/ Upgrades S-Video)
3m SilverSerpent Component Cables
Sony AVM3000
7.1 Polk Audio System

I know I need a VGA/Component breakout cable to make the progressive scan work. The Infocus guy was trying to sell me Component to VESA adaptor for $10. What does this do?

If I use this adaptor will I be able to use my existing component cables? How do I hook up the PS2?

Thanks!

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Component to VESA adapter? Never heard of it!

I use a VGA-to-BNC breakout cable, and 3 component to BNC adapters to attach to the BNC side. This allows me to hook up my Xbox and my DVD player to my NEC LT240 projector.

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
If I recall correctly the x1uses a special cable that almost looks like an s-video cable. It isn't though. It can run the Component and S-video source via the single input. I suspect that is the cable he is trying to sell you.

Just a guess though.

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit
I've heard from several people that you can only the VGA output is the only one for progressive scan. The s video output will only allow interlaced material.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Matt you have the same dvd player I have. I'm really curious to hear how well the picture looks using your projector. For when I get mine I will be going straight from the dvd player as well.

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
The X-1 doesn't have an s-video input but instead has an input that looks very much like one. The cable you run into that input accepts both Component and s-video.

In other words you plug your component into this special cable and then into this odd input. It will accept the progressive via your component output on the DVD player.

TanT

Stunt Coordinator
That's not true, there is a S-Video input on the X1. This S-Video input accepts intelaced signal only. The X1 shipped with this special adapter to convert Component to S-Video but this will only work with Interlaced signal.

Any progressive signal will have to go through the VGA input.

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit
TanT (or anyone else),
How would this work (until the VGA breakout cable arrives) could I hook up my progressive scan DVD player with the included S-video to component adaptor but set the output on the DVD player as interlaced instead of progressive scan?

GabrielleG

Stunt Coordinator
Tan T is correct. I have my X1 hooked up using a S-video cable to my receiver. It does not have component inputs which may be where the confusion lies. The PJ comes with an adapter that will allow you to convert your component cables to Svideo. I however, didn't notice any PQ difference. Mathew you are lucky to have the Motorola box with S Video capabilities. Mine doesn't and it is my ONE complaint about my system.

Gabrielle

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks