Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

What are the differences between The Rock and the Criterion Edition

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 of 28 OFFLINE   George_W_K

George_W_K

Screenwriter

• 1,472 posts

Posted March 23 2003 - 09:39 AM

Wow, I sure am getting a lot replies to this thread! I bought it Friday online. I'll let you know how I like it. Obviously it won't be a comparison, but I'll still know whether or not I like the transfer. When you guys are talking about the DTS soundtracks not going as low in the low end, what do you mean? I liked the DTS soundtrack on Pearl Harbor better (IMO)but my sub I believe doesn't do below 30 HZ very good. I am upgrading soon with an SVS product. When I am able to hear and feel the <30 HZ frequencies, will I find that the DD soundtracks mentioned will go lower in frequency? Or is it just the volume at these frequencies aren't as good between DD and DTS? Just curious. Thanks again for the replies and helping me spend my money more wisely. George

#22 of 28 OFFLINE   Devin U

Devin U

Second Unit

• 399 posts

Posted March 23 2003 - 03:25 PM

The only thing I dont like about it is the menues. I have had to go down to a 20 in tv and can hardly see what I am selecting.

#23 of 28 OFFLINE   George_W_K

George_W_K

Screenwriter

• 1,472 posts

Posted March 29 2003 - 07:23 PM

Well, I bought the Criterion Edition of "The Rock" and I am extremely happy with it. The picture is beautiful and the sound was great. I liked the DD soundtrack better, though. Usually I side the other way. I am glad I asked you guys about this or I would have bought the normal version of the movie to save some cash. That pretty much takes care of my LD collection. I don't need to bring them out anymore since I have all of them on DVD now. I bought Dante's Peak DTS in the same order. Although, I think my LD sounds better, especially during the final explosion when glass breaking sound effects happen. I don't get it, because my LD player doesn't have DD output so I watch it in Pro-Logic. Is it just me? Thanks again everyone. George

#24 of 28 OFFLINE   Tom Blizzard

Tom Blizzard

Stunt Coordinator

• 105 posts

Posted March 30 2003 - 08:09 AM

No George it's not you,
Many of us like the PCM LD soundtracks more than some of the DD 5.1 tracks......... (right??)Posted Image
Still A LD and Vinyl FAN !!

#25 of 28 OFFLINE   Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman

Screenwriter

• 2,714 posts

Posted March 30 2003 - 12:28 PM

I got The Rock Criterion, but I too feel the DTS laserdisc (which I also own) has the best soundtrack presentation of this film so far. HARD AS A ROCK!! Posted Image

Now, if only I could synch up the LD's full bitrate DTS track with the video on the DVD...

Dan

#26 of 28 OFFLINE   greg_t

greg_t

Screenwriter

• 1,654 posts

Posted March 30 2003 - 01:49 PM

Just a sidenote, the bitrate on DTS LD is 1234KBPS, so it is not actually the full 1509 or so from DTS DVD.

#27 of 28 OFFLINE   Evan Case

Evan Case

Screenwriter

• 1,113 posts

Posted March 30 2003 - 02:29 PM

Same thing happened to me (total freezeup at and after the layer change). It worked the first time I watched it, but when I tried it a year later it had suddenly stopped working. However, when I emailed Criterion they said they couldn't replace it (despite my having the receipt) and to check with the dealer. Of course, the dealer said no, as it had been almost a year since the purchase. So I've been stuck with a malfunctioning $35 Rock for a long time now. Maybe if I email again, they'll allow me to exchange it this time. I sure hope so.

On topic, the CC edition is great (my glitch aside). This is one of the few action blockbusters from the 90s I actually like--mainly due to the teaming of Cage and Connery, and some strong work from Ed Harris.

Evan
"               " - Buster Keaton
S&S (1992 & 2002), The 1930s : Finished! S&S Club : 311 seen (Recent: Bigger Than Life)
AFI Challenge Stars: 36 left, Songs: 11 left, Passions: 2 left, Cheers: 4 left, Quotes: 2 left, Top Tens: 1 left; (Most Recent: Camille [Passions, Stars]) 

#28 of 28 OFFLINE   Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman

Screenwriter

• 2,714 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 04:53 AM

greg_t,

Semantics! Posted Image

That's full bitrate for DTS on laserdisc. ~1.5 Megabits/sec is full bitrate for DVD. They seemingly used a much better master (perhaps the archival master?) for the laserdisc-- the dynamic range and side wall imaging are at full throttle!

Dan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users