What's new

What are the differences between The Rock and the Criterion Edition (1 Viewer)

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Is the picture a better transfer on the Criterion Edition? Is the sound better? Are there added scenes like in "Armageddon"?

Thanks for the info!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Same cut of the film, but the Criterion edition is a better transfer and is anamorphic. It's the only one to get.

M.

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
Not only is the picture better, but the commentary track is one of the better ones I've ever heard.

-R

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
Slightly off topic but I purchased Criterion's version of The Rock only to find that it had a manufacturing flaw. Due to my lack of a receipt and it was over 30 days before I got to watching it I could not return it. BUT, I email Criterion and the allowed me to send it directly to them and replace it. Great personal service.

Oh, as for the film itself, great picture, sound, and commentary. The supplement disk is a bit weak but the bit by an ex-SEAL on how Hollywood typess handle guns incorrectly was entertaining.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Wow! It's unanymous! I guess when I get my paycheck, the Criterion is the way to go. Only a couple of more movies and I won't have to bring out my LD player anymore.

Thanks for all of the replies, guys,
George

RobD

Second Unit
If you want to save some money and have a multiregion dvd player, the r2 special edition is the Criterion version (Even has Criterion's menu) and can be bought for £8 ($12).

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Off topic slightly, but there was actually a scene in Armageddon that was cut (edited) in the Criterion version. What is up with that?
I'd imagine Michael Bay wanted it removed, like with the add-a-bit/remove-a-bit director's cut of Pearl Harbor.

What's on the disc is Michael Bay's preferred cut, so I'm happy with it.

Declan

Second Unit
well the Vista series Dir Cut of Pearl Harbour (not everyones favourite film, but I thoughly enjoyed it for many of the reasons it's hated for) is definitley my preference over the original cut (which i sold as soon as I got the Dir Cut) mainly for all the added gore and the Ben Affleck/Josh Hartnet commentry which is hilarious. Have to watch the technical commentary and the Michael Bay commentry, looking forward to when i have time to give them a listen.

Is it just me or does the DD5.1 seem a bit more powerful in the low end compared to the DTS.

The Criterion of the Rock has a weak DTS track compared to the mind blowing DD5.1....... but thats old news.

While were on the subject of Michael bay movies...Cant wait for Bad Boys 2.

Declan

Second Unit
It's not really THAT bad and actually there is better imaging on some scenes in the rears. But the low end does'nt go as LOW as it should on the DTS of Pearl Harbour. I noticed this on both the theatrical cut and Dir cut versions.

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
The Rock : Criterion has one of the finest film to tape transfers I have ever seen. Oodles of detail, little artifacting, and *ahem* rock solid.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks