Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

"Director's Cut" releases

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 of 19 OFFLINE   ThomasJB

ThomasJB

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted March 18 2003 - 02:59 AM

Are there any films you'd like to see on DVD where the director releases a "director's cut" version?

I'm thinking more Blade Runner style changes than Lethal Weapon here.

Personally, I've always wanted to see the version of The Saint (with Val Kilmer) that was initially tested and then butchered to the version released in cinemas.

More details here: http://uk.imdb.com/A...ersions?0120053

#2 of 19 OFFLINE   TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted March 18 2003 - 03:13 AM

I'd like to see the original cut of "The Avengers" to see if it sucked less.

I'd also be curious to see "What Dreams May Come" with the original score, which Harry hyped to a certain extent on AICN at the time. I'd also like to see if there were other scenes that went in a different direction than where the plot of the movie went.

Jason

#3 of 19 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted March 18 2003 - 03:42 AM

Ditto on The Avengers. There's got to be something like half an hour cut out, making the movie almost completely incomprehensible.

I'd be curious to see Air Force One with the original Randy Newman score, which was apparently tossed for being too intense.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#4 of 19 OFFLINE   Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted March 18 2003 - 04:59 AM

In my dreams:
David Fincher's Alien3
Richard Donner's Superman II
ac

#5 of 19 OFFLINE   Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets

Screenwriter

• 2,371 posts

Posted March 18 2003 - 04:59 AM

I'd like to see a long version of Billy Bob Thornton's All the Pretty Horses. Of the movies I've seen from the past couple of years, that one smacked the most of being chopped up.

#6 of 19 OFFLINE   Steve_Knutzen

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter

• 1,317 posts

Posted March 18 2003 - 07:26 AM

The rough cut of the Goonies complete with apes and leeches.
"Oh I can hold my breath for a long, long time!"

http://www.dvdprofil....s=TromaFiend02

#7 of 19 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,480 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted March 18 2003 - 10:07 AM

I'd like to see a reconstruction of Buster Keaton's "The Cameraman." Roughly one reel was lost before 1930 (the extant 16mm production print and sparkling 35mm fine-grain lack this) but was fully described by Keaton in the 1950s.

It's mostly stuff that would only require some stock footage with perhaps a stand-in standing in front of a rear projection screen. It would at least be better than the jarring cut in the current (but beautiful) version.

Plus, it would be a great excuse to re-record the awful quality piano score that has been attached to it. It would be great if re-performed on an organ or even just a plain piano.

#8 of 19 OFFLINE   Chris Atkins

Chris Atkins

Producer

• 3,887 posts

Posted March 19 2003 - 04:54 AM

I would like to see SW and IJ archival cuts that include all (or almost all) footage shot. The only cuts I would like on these versions are for time, not content (e.g. a character walking to their mark could be trimmed, but not dialogue).

I would very much like to see Shatner have another shot at Star Trek V.

#9 of 19 OFFLINE   Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,549 posts

Posted March 20 2003 - 12:48 AM

Quote:
In my dreams:
David Fincher's Alien3
Richard Donner's Superman II

Ditto. And I would add:

Orson Welles' The Magnificent Ambersons

Odds are against that one, though, since the footage was destroyed. I still think the other two are possible.
"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

#10 of 19 OFFLINE   Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted March 20 2003 - 01:23 AM

Good for you, Bryan. It's good to remain optimistic.

I suppose that as long as the director doesn't face a major life change or pass away unexpectedly (I certainly hope they live to a ripe old age all the while producing great entertainments), one can never say never.
ac

#11 of 19 OFFLINE   Conor R

Conor R

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted April 22 2003 - 11:26 AM

Donners SII first all with new special fx. .
I'm gonna say Chris Reeves SIV because he actually want the film to be good. Sidney J. Fuire didn't.
So Superman IV the 134 minute cut all with new special fx.
Superman: The Movie - Where The Magic Begins

#12 of 19 OFFLINE   Bill J

Bill J

Producer

• 3,970 posts

Posted April 22 2003 - 11:37 AM

The 5 hour version of Terrence Malick's The Thin Red Line.

#13 of 19 OFFLINE   Chris Miller

Chris Miller

Agent

• 32 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 02:40 AM

American History X

Then there's countless films I'd just like to see the complete unrated versions of (The Rules Of Attraction, 8MM, Killing Zoe, Gummo, etc). Also probably a few PG-13 films out there it'd be nice to see the original R versions of.

#14 of 19 OFFLINE   Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,549 posts

Posted April 27 2004 - 05:23 PM

Thought I'd resurrect this thread to see if anyone's come up with anything else. Since I last posted, we have indeed gotten the closest thing to a director's cut of Alien 3 as we ever will with the "Assembly Cut."

One thing I might add (although it would most likely be completely impossible) would be James Whale's original cut of Bride of Frankenstein. Wouldn't it be wonderful if a print or even a partial one just happened to surface in some warehouse somewhere. I guess it's always fun to dream. Posted Image
"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

#15 of 19 OFFLINE   Beau

Beau

Supporting Actor

• 503 posts

Posted April 27 2004 - 06:02 PM

Quote:
I'd be curious to see Air Force One with the original Randy Newman score, which was apparently tossed for being too intense.
MAN! I love this movie and think the score it has is great, but there's a MORE INTENSE one?!?!?!!?! Would LOVE to watch the movie with it.

#16 of 19 OFFLINE   Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister

Producer

• 4,148 posts

Posted April 28 2004 - 05:23 AM

"I'd also be curious to see "What Dreams May Come" with the original score, which Harry hyped to a certain extent on AICN at the time."

What Dreams May Come has a beautiful score. If Knowles criticized the existing score for What Dreams May Come, that's all I need to know in order to appreciate the existing score even more.

The alternate ending for What Dreams May Come seen on the DVD is another matter. As much as I adore the film (it is one of my ten favorite films of all time), the alternate ending is more powerful than the softer touch used in the theatrical release.

#17 of 19 OFFLINE   Jim Barg

Jim Barg

Second Unit

• 395 posts

Posted April 28 2004 - 01:24 PM

I may as well say it: I'm looking forward to see if the Daredevil director's cut is closer to the film's novelization, because that filled in a lot of the current cut's plotholes.

I suppose I'd sit through Jeremiah Chechik's cut of The Avengers, but from what I've read, that project was pretty much mucked with from the beginning.

How about Terry Gilliam's 2 and a half hour cut of The Adventures of Baron Munchausen? He's said that all the extant footage still exists, but has no real desire to revisit the film (not that I blame him).

Oh, and the John McTiernan cut of The 13th Warrior, too. As it is, the first five minutes feel like there's another 25 minutes of backstory missing.

#18 of 19 OFFLINE   David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter

• 1,435 posts

Posted April 28 2004 - 02:22 PM

Wow, someone mentions The Saint (I was the one who submitted the info on cut scenes to imdb).

I thought I saw some sort of footage from an alternate ending for the 13th Warrior in the TV ads.

I thought I saw the Norse woman came back to the Middle East with Ibn. She is shown in Mid-east garb.

Just don't verify me on that one. I only saw the TV ads (for the 13th Warrior) a long time ago.
ENTERLINE MEDIA (entertainment articles and DVD/Movie/TV show reviews)

#19 of 19 OFFLINE   paul_goz

paul_goz

Agent

• 34 posts

Posted April 29 2004 - 03:13 AM

I would pay HUGE cash for a directors cut DVD of the Cammell / Roeg Masterpiece "Performance".

Roeg is still alive.

Sandy lieberson has outakes.

Original negatives are in the Warner Vaults.

Film school sales alone, justify the restoration and mastering.

Why can't this one happen?

Forum Nav Content I Follow