What's new

Anyone watching Everwood? (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
With all of the reruns of late for Everwood, I've been catching up on many of the early Everwood (still haven't seen the pilot or maybe one or two of the early episodes). But what I've seen, I do like, and mainly due to the strength of the characterizations and acting on the show. There's a good mix of humor and drama and conflict that runs through the show, but there's also a lot of heart in the episodes, and it's not just the awkward teen years for Ephram, but the awkward adult years for his recently widowed father Andy as well.

Then again, I don't think I've recovered yet from seeing Amy in the blue bathing suit either... ;)

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Yes, every week. It's a nice counterpoint to 'Gilmore Girls.'

If you've just been catching up with it than you should like what they've done with Colin's character. It's nothing groundbreaking but it's honest.

Jodee

Screenwriter
I love this show. I have wood for "Everwood". :)

I wasn't even going to watch it in the beginning and it's become my favorite new show of the season.

I really like the cgaracter of Ephram. I thought he was kind of "funny looking" at first, but he seems to get better looking every week becaus ethe character is so real & likeable.

I also like what they've done with the Colin character.

I think the secondary characters on this show is what makes it so good. I love Dr. Brown's nurse lady and her son the other uptight doctor is a hoot. Whenever the two doctors get together, it's always a funny scene.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
It's a good show. Certainly better than its lead-in, 7th Heaven, which still gets freakishly high ratings (still #1 on The WB).

//Ken

Brian Burgoyne

Second Unit
I've enjoyed it as well. I watch Boston Public then switch to Everwood. What's with Andy and the seemingly, possibly available blond neighbor? Supposedly she has a husband, but seems like she is not happy with the situation.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Thought I was the only one. All the characters are wonderfully three-dimensional and complex. The humor is a natural offshoot of the character dynamics and the drama seldom feels forced. One of my favorites on TV.

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
I agree, character development is very strong and the writing is good. They manage to address real-life issues without seeming forced or clichéd. I originally had no interest in watching it, because it seemed like just another nighttime soap, but my wife started watching in and to my surprise I found it to be quite good.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

Her husband came back for an episode, and in lieu of chasing their dreams of owning a sporting goods store he decided he could make more money back out on the road selling...whatever it is he sells.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think Andy and Trott make a cute couple. I didn't realize the neighbor was married because I thought I was getting some vibes between her and Andy.

I just remembered where I've seen Gregory Smith, he was Mel Gibson's character's son (who was too young to join in the fight) in "The Patriot".

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I didn't realize the neighbor was married because I thought I was getting some vibes between her and Andy.
That was established in the first episode. I think that she is being kept on ice as a possible love interest just in case. After all it will be pretty easy to write the always-on-the-road husband out of the story. So long as they keep the mutual attraction just on a low simmer, it will be easy to drive that storyline any of a number of ways without it seeming artificial.

Don Black

Screenwriter
A truely excellent show. Emily Van Camp is shaping up to be a young Natalie Portman. I'm thankful for the WB's reruns. It allowed me to catch-up with the rest of the season!

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

Also the first part of the season she was preganat with what turned out to be an older ladies child (who was too old to have her own) which caused a mini-scandal in the town.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I love this show!

I didn't think I'd be interested at first. I'd put it on while "surfing the net" just to have something on. Then I got interested and actually started watching, and now I love it. I hope more people check it out.

Dr. Brown rocks. I hate that whiny lame chick Ephram likes! He's an idiot. Collin's sister was like 10 billion times better than little 12-year-old (at least mentally) girl Amy.

Don Peskin

Stunt Coordinator
I agree, it's a very good show. Thank goodness the WB was smart enough to replay it on Sundays.

As for the previous comment on 7th Heaven, I also agree. It started off very good but has gone downhill. The mother is now whinny and crazy. The middle daughter is whinny and crazy. The father went crazy. Worst of all, the hot, older daughter left the show.

Tony_P

Stunt Coordinator
This show has really surprised me. I started watching it just a few weeks ago (while in reruns) and I must say I'm hooked.

I thought tonight's episode was one of the best I've seen so far. The whole "Norman Rockwell" theme could have been very heavy handed, but they pulled it off, IMO. It added the just right amount of subtext to the story without too much moralizing or social commentary.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was a good way to kick back into things, though not as strong as the episode about that Jewish memorial service that they closed out with a month or so ago. I'm glad to see they're giving Delia(sp?) something to do again; I find it breaks up the rather soap-operish nature of the rest of the series nicely, while providing an additional source to drive home the primary point. Overall, they creative team has done an exellent job walking the tightrope between jumping the shark and changing things too much and letting the series remain stagnant and turn stale. With Colin's health going down the proverbial shitter, it should be interesting to see what they do with season two.

Tony_P

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, Adam you must have pretty high standards for TV shows! I didn't even think it was possible for a show to "jump the shark" in its first season. :D

(I'm kidding, but something tells me the readership at HTF will be able to point out many shows that did the proverbial jump that soon.)

I must have missed the ep with the Jewish memorial service (I've only seen 5 or 6 eps so far). I'll have to make sure I catch that one when it's re-run this summer.

Don Black

Screenwriter
Upcoming episode:

Controversial abortion episode coming up in the next few episodes (18yo/not Amy)...

(Admin note - edited to add in spoiler text).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks