What's new

MERGED: Lion King DVD discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Given the facts that it hasn't been announced yet and probably won't come out until the fall of 2003, I think specs are a little premature. I'll be shocked if it doesn't port the commentary and most of the other disc-based features from the fabbo old LD boxed, though...

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Yeah ...

All we know at the moment is that it will be out in Fall 2003.

If this year's Beauty and the Beast Platinum Release is any indication, Disney should be publishing the specs for the Lion King disc around February of 2003. That's the same month that the Beauty and the Beast disc will go on moratorium ...

Brian_L_Kleis

Stunt Coordinator
Ditto the above comments...

Plus when the BV/Disney publicity machine cranks up for the Xmas 2002 IMAX re-release of Lion King, we will probably be deluged with new info on what to expect....

To quote the movie itself... BE PREPARED !!!!

:D

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Excuse me if this seems like I'm thread farting but:

How about an apology to the estate of Osamu Tezuka for ripping off his property, denying they had done so and not paying them one red cent, instead calling it their "first original movie", which had been "thought up" on a trip BACK FROM JAPAN, and totally denying knowlege of Jungle Taitei(Kimba the White Lion) despite the fact the Walt Disney Company had sent over consultants for the color work being done on it?

Better now. Please picket your local IMAX theater showing this movie in January 2003!

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
What was on the LD set of any significant worth?

Video, audio and still based extras, not lithographs or books. (because we're unlikely to get those.)

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know definitively if they're screwing around with the movie for IMAX re-release. I sure hope not. It's my favorite of the Disney animated classics and I think it'd be really great to see it on the big screen (the really big screen), as I missed the opportunity 8 years ago. I hope they're not tinkering with it, like they did with Beauty and the Beast.

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
Mark Zimmer is right. The Lion King took from Kimba the White Lion aka Jungle Emperor, but that took from Bambi. Borrowing elements from other films/television series is nothing new, and sometimes, it creates another good film/television series. Filmmakers can't be original all the time, because there are not enough good ideas...that's why they get reused. And I noticed differences between TLK and Kimba as well, so TLK isn't just totally stealing from Kimba. People just make it out to be that it does.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Here's the difference

Tezuka always came right out and said he was inspired by Disney, and only the baseline elements (parent dying) is from Bambi

However Lion King rips RIGHT DOWN TO THE EYE THE SCAR IS ON
Magical monkey, obnoxious parrot, I think all it lacks is Timon and Pumbaa

You can't get much more blatant. The only reason why Tezuka productions DIDN'T file a lawsuit was because they knew all that would happen was that they would be bankrupted. No matter what, the film was boycotted and picketed in Asia where it bombed. Disney was counting on the fact that most Americans wouldn't remember Kimba, and it succeeded

Gui A

Supporting Actor
The LD includes:

Deluxe CAV letterbox Edition
Features bonus material exclusive to this 4 disc (all CAV) set

Mono commentary by Producer Don Hahn and Directors Roger Allers and Rob Minkoff!

"The Making of The Lion King" Hosted by Robert Guillaume. An exclusive Behind-the-scenes look at Disney's all-time animation triumph!

Over 80 minutes of additional bonus material exclusive to this laserdisc, including:

History and development of the original story
Preliminary art and early concepts
Art design, layouts and backgrounds
Original storyboard sequences
Detailed character designs
Plus, computer animation, trailers and much more!

Portfolio containing 6 lithographs of concept art from the film!

75 Chapter stops! (That's for the bonus platters. The feature had 27 chapter stops.)

Notables include:
5 Storyboard sequences
The music section has interviews with Elton John
Early concepts of Hakuna Matata (Timon's verse) and Can you feel the love tonight

I expect the Disney store to give away some lithographs with a pre-order of the DVD like they did with Snow White, and should be doing with beauty and the beast.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
The LD set also has some early concept songs on there as I recall. I've not wtahced the extras in a while, but I remember some early stuff being on there. Time to revisit the set methinks... lovely set, truly is.

The film transfer on the LD set was THX Certified and 5.1, but many actually prefer the standard surround track on the disc.

I'm wondering now where Aladdin fits into their plans. Since they've gone from Beauty and the Beast direct to Aladdin, what's happening? Will we get both Lion King AND Aladdin in 2003? Or IMAX Aladdin at Christmas 2003? Or is Al not going to be part of the Platinum range... ?

Dan

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Aladdin will be a Platinum Edition and may come in 2004 since Buena Vista Home Entertainment wants to release one Platinum Edition a year over a 10 year period.

Robert Cook

Stunt Coordinator
Justin_M wrote:
Tarzan in IMAX would make me wet myself. :D
Is that part of the Circle of Life? ;) I think that Tarzan would look stunning on IMAX, although I wish it had more long shots--both in camera distance (so to speak) and duration (those quick edits may not play well on IMAX). Some of the vine swinging is going to be dizzying, which is what IMAX is all about. :) I don't recall if it was here or on another forum, but I had once joked about whole audiences throwing up on each other if this movie were ever to be shown on IMAX, and now it might actually happen! "A complete and total barf-o-rama."

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Robert, what about that great Waterfall long shot/push in in Tarzan? That would just be simply breathtaking on an IMAX screen.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks