What's new

Beatles: _The Long and Winding Road_ DVD. (1 Viewer)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
My copy of this multi-disc set/documentary should be sitting atop my mailbox when I arrive home this evening.

Thing is, I had never heard of the multi-part documentary before. Is it a British production? Has it been telecast before?

Just curious.

At any rate, it should be decent stopgap material to fill the time until April 1, eh?

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Maybe it's a DVD version of a BBC-type series. The site says it was produced in 2003. Perhaps it's something that eventually will aire on TV.

On a related topic, I've heard rumors that Let It Be will be coming out on DVD. Anyone know something about this?

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
Never heard of it, but look forward to your review, Jack.
So do I. I saw a review on Amazon.com from a customer which said that this set is a hugh dissapointement. I am hoping to see a full review of this set on Home Theater Forum before I buy this disc.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I saw this set at Frys the other day and was wondering about it myself.

So did you ever hear the story about how Kubrick was toying with a Beatles soundtrack for 2001?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I haven't seen it, but I don't get a positive impression of it. I saw it at Suncoast the other day - anything with so little legal protection behind it that they don't even include a PHOTO of the Beatles on the cover can't have much potential! There's a Stones package that's similar, and similarly uninspiring. Be curious to hear more about it, but I'll eat a bug if it's actually worthwhile...

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Jack, please provide us with a review of this title when you have a chance. I would love to hear how you compare it to The Compleat Beatles, knowing you are as big a fan of that documentary as I am.

In any case, I am anxiously awaiting the release of Anthology.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter

The 'photo' in question is a recreation of Vee-Jay's painted cover for Jolly What! The Beatles and Frank Ifield album from a Dezo Hoffman photograph. Vee-Jay had access to few real photographs of the Beatles for their albums, and many of their album covers and 45 rpm picture sleeves used painted reproductions of their photographs...

vs.

P.S. I don't know if anyone's seen a photo of the Anthology DVD set, but here's a great pic from fab4collectibles.com

Jon Sheedy

Stunt Coordinator
I've been waiting to see a pic of the Anthology set for the last few weeks, finally got a chance to see it thanks to your pic Keith....thanks!

All I got to say is WOW...this is gonna be as beautiful as the LD box. Can't wait.

JOn

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
The 'photo' in question is a recreation of Vee-Jay's painted cover for Jolly What! The Beatles and Frank Ifield album from a Dezo Hoffman photograph. Vee-Jay had access to few real photographs of the Beatles for their albums, and many of their album covers and 45 rpm picture sleeves used painted reproductions of their photographs
I recognized the image. My point was that I'm very suspect of a package that doesn't even use an actual photo of the act in question. I don't think they did this as an homage to the Vee-Jay album. The Stones collection also uses an artist's adaptation of a photo. Neither look terribly good and they make the sets seem shoddy...

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Lots of things are puzzling me too. I received the box last night, and I did recognize the painting from the old Vee-Jay disc.

The descriptive copy on the back of the box is baffling. It mentions that more than forty interviews were conducted and that "rare, unseen" footage of the band is included.

Five discs make up the set and the approximate running time is given at seven hours.

But here's what's really puzzling: Only the descriptive copy and running time are included on the back cover of the box. There is absolutely no production information, no mention of a studio, a director, or anything. There is a disclaimer, however, that states the documentary is not authorized by The Beatles or by Apple Corps. That, of course, is not much of a problem; The Compleat Beatles, which, to this day, is the best-ever documentary about the band, is not authorized.

I will start looking at this tonight (I didn't have time last night to look at anything other than a Star Trek episode on DVD).

A report will be forthcoming.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of the compleat beatles; I just watched the ld a couple of days ago. My wife had not seen it before, she was really impressed by it.
It's too bad it'll never get to DVD, it's a great documentary.
That, of course, is not much of a problem; The Compleat Beatles, which, to this day, is the best-ever documentary about the band, is not authorized.
Jack
At one time it must have been authorized.
The LD does not have that disclaimer on it and they allowed their music on it which they could of held off like "I am Sam". I think once the anthology came out, they didn't want it and pulled their authorization.

So is it really rare footage or recycled stuff that most Beatlemaniacs know by heart?

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
To answer an early question in this thread - to the best of my knowledge, it isn't a Brit TV production, or at least, it's not been on Brit TV (including satellite channels) as yet.

I'll hang fire on this one until I hear the reviews - I've alredy got Anthology on order.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone noticed how the compeat beatles and the rutles are very similiar in style?
I kept hoping that 'leggy mountbatten' would show up.:D

Tonya

Auditioning
The person leaving a review at Amazon wrote that this set was on Star TV over five nights. From checking Google, it appears to have aired in Canada.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, sort of.

Avoid!

I have only myself to blame for not fully comprehending the implications of authorization from The Beatles and Apple Corps. Because, if the production is not in some way authorized by The Beatles, one may not use the music. And, ultimately, The Beatles are about the music. Their music. Performed by them.

Which is what you don't get here, along with professional production values.

I lasted only through the first disc, and I was lucky to make it through that.

It's a dispiriting sensation as the first segment opens to the faux strains of "I Saw Her Standing There." "Faux," because some session band was included on the soundtrack.

So, I blew $40 on a boxset that I have put away. It's not even being stored on the shelves with the rest of the library.

I predict this set will be out of print in about a year.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Thanks for the warning, Jack. It's too bad you wasted your money, but you did save many other Beatles fans here some dough. ;)

So, I blew $40 on a boxset that I have put away. It's not even being stored on the shelves with the rest of the library.
Jack, if you wish to get rid of this title, check out www.sellmydvds.com . They are a decent alternative for those people who wish to avoid ebay. I sold quite a few clunker titles to them to recover some money and shelf space.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks