What's new

Weekly Roundup Special: Toys R Us preorder for Harry Potter 2: $12.99 total!! (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
"Ravenous" tells me this:

This week only!

I was reading my Sunday paper and the Toys R Us sales ad says:

You can pre order Harry Potter 2 for $12.99 with a $5 down payment. So...when it arrives (on 4/11) you can pick it up for $7.99.

Not a bad deal at all, but they ONLY show a pic of the VHS and FULL SCREEN DVD. The price is good, but given the trouble some had with finding a Star Wars Widescreen, this may not be worth the trouble at all.

And since its a pre-order, if you cant find WS, you're screwed. Personally, Im not even going to deal with this offer because it might be easier just to get it somewhere else that Im guaranteed WS. Besides Im hoping (yet doubting) that Ill find it the week its released for $9.99 like I got Pt 1 for.
Thanks to Stinkpalm as well mentioning this to me, but Ravenous had more complete info.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Unless they do like Blockbuster did on LotR, with the card, they actually reserved you the version DVD/VHS and FS/WS that you wanted. I might look into this, will decide by Friday, I'm off and there is a TRU not too far from home.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yeah. I'd be careful. I very carefully did a WS Star Wars pre-order at TRU only to show up for the pick-up and be told they only had P&S show up at the store! :angry: After insisting that I specifically wanted and ordered WS, the manager miraculously went into a backroom and found one for me! :rolleyes::D

I will probably give this a try--again--since the first time did work out--barely. ;)

EDIT:
Just went and dug out my TRU flyer from the Sunday paper. They say:

VHS - Save $4
VHS 720278
VHS - Spanish 720324
Reg. $16.99 each

DVD - Save $10
DVD 720286
DVD - Widescreen 720316
Reg. $22.99 each

Also: Limit one per customer. No coupon needed. While supplies last. Offer not available on-line.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I need to decide if I should get this. I have a feeling we might be seeing $9.99 at Walmart again, but $12.99 is such a great price....

That week is going to be rough too, with Miyazaki titles.

Dave Danek

Stunt Coordinator
I did the pre-order yesterday and the slip I have shows WDVD (which should mean widescreen DVD) and the SKU 72-0316 which corresponds to the ad for the WS version. But as has been pointed out, let's see what stock they get. . .

dd

ErickM

Auditioning
I was assured by the TRU rep that my copy would be the widescreen version. So maybe they've learned their lesson from previous disasters. ....then again, guess I will know for sure once I have it in my hands.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Dropped by my TRU tonight to make sure I got in on the deal. I pre-ordered mine with the store manager. I told her about my close call with the Star Wars pre-order. She gave me the impression they'd be getting tons of both WS and FS HP&CoS in-store.

I also asked her how the pre-orders worked...that is, if the pre-order locked us in at the $12.99 price, what was their regular price going to be? Even though the flyer quotes a "regular" price of $22.99 (see my post above), she said they'd be selling the DVDs for $19.99 and that the $12.99 deal was definitely over today.

Don't know what other stores will be selling the title for, but this ploy will certainly keep anyone from price-matching TRU's $12.99 price, wouldn't it?!?!

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I did my pre-order yesterday as well. I asked if by some chance they don't have my WS copy, can I get a refund and they said sure. I also asked if another store has it for less will they price match and if not could I get a refund and buy it at the other store and they said yes to that as well.

ErickM

Auditioning
Was that a "yes" to (they will price match?) or was that a "yes" to (they will give you a refund to buy it somewhere else)?

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Basically I think it was a "well we should price match it, but even if we don't, you can definitely get a refund and buy it at the other place".

Dick White

Stunt Coordinator
My wife went in to take advantage of this deal and the local store told her the price was $5 plus $12.99. She didn't have the flyer with her to prove what it said so we won't be buying at TRU.:angry:

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I would definitely wait on this one folks. I am sure someone else will have this for less than $12.99. As long as you get do a return or get your money back from Toys R Us, I guess it doesn't matter. But, I think $9.99 is a reality again for Potter.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I would definitely wait on this one folks. I am sure someone else will have this for less than $12.99. As long as you get do a return or get your money back from Toys R Us, I guess it doesn't matter. But, I think $9.99 is a reality again for Potter.
Time will tell, Dave. But I think the TRU offer is a great way to hedge one's bet. ;)

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
My wife went in to take advantage of this deal and the local store told her the price was $5 plus $12.99. She didn't have the flyer with her to prove what it said so we won't be buying at TRU. :angry:
That's really funny considering the preorder ticket shows both the deposit price on the front and the 'after' price of $7.99 on the back. The guys behind the counter must have been sniffing paint again.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Yep, that's what I figured. Not a bad way to lock in $12.99 as a max, and then still have a chance to get it for less, if things work out.

John Millers

Stunt Coordinator
I had a bad experience last time with TRU. I am with Dave H on this one, this will be a loss leader for someone (Compusa?). Preordered at Blockbuster who will pricematch with no hassle.

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
Just bringing back to the top as we should see things in this Sunday's paper. I'll be printing out or taking the best deal with me to Blockbuster for a price match.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Guys, without naming names, so far it looks like the best deal was this Toys R Us preorder thing. Next best deal seems to be in the over-$14.00 range. Of course, there are still 3-4 parties I've yet to hear from, but only one of them a regular part of my Roundups these days.

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
I think I'll be better off with the other places considering the hassle that TRU was the last time.

It might just be worth the $14.99 price point to buy at some other place.

Just a thought.

Glen

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Here's the preliminary workup on HP2-tCoS:

[c]
Retail__Price
WalMart$14.24
CrcCity$14.99
Target_$14.99
BestBuy$15.99
SamsClb$17.02
Amazon_$17.86
CostCo_$18.99
Borders$26.99
CompUSA$_"HP"
Frys___$_N/A_
K-Mart_$_N/A_
ToysRUs$_N/A_
[/c]

Note that "$_N/A_" means that the price is not available at this time, either from their advertising or from website info.

Since this is a Friday, April 11th release, many stores may not promote it until the end of the week, or even next week.

Toys R Us mentions it on the cover of their Pre-Easter Sale flyer, but I can't find a price. I imagine that the $19.99 stated above is the right ballpark...but anyone who got the $12.99 pre-order from them got the best deal, from what I can see.

CompUSA - who had the winning price with the first Harry Potter DVD at under ten dollars - is careful just to say "Hot Price" this time. No idea what it will be. But it might be cheap, as this is splashed all over most of a page in their flyer.

K-Mart is an odd sort, with sale prices on television units showing Harry, Ron, and Hermione in the screen-picture of the TVs, but no ad for the video itself! :confused:

Frys will probably have a separate ad late this week that has HP in it.

The Wal-Mart price you see is what I expect my store's local price to be, based on their price-match formula (Target and Circuit City prices minus 5%)...each Wal-Mart varies. Experience proves that this is the ballpark most folks will see it in; it may even be lower at your store. YMMV; no guarantees.

All of this will be repeated at the end of the Weekly Roundup that I post this afternoon, in case it was missed here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks