What's new

Anyone here ever win something (1 Viewer)

ryan_x

Stunt Coordinator
I was just thinking of the amount of contests i have entered in my 25 year lifetime that the only time I have ever won something was when I was in highschool...I won a skateboard from a local skateshop that had a monthly give away...who in the world wins all these contests...when i think of all the contests ive entered online...atleast 10 at Futureshop.com alone...lets hear everyones stories

KyleS

Screenwriter
who in the world wins all these contests...
Their friends, families, & co-workers of course. ;)
Actually McDonalds had this happen with an insider (Working for the firm they hired to do the contest) on like 3 or 5 years worth of contests but at least they were willing to make it right and ran the contests again in a very short period of time.

KyleS

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
When I was living in Redwood Valley CA, a I won a radio station trivia contest. The question was, "Who did Billy Dee Williams play in Batman?" Of course the answer was District Attorney Harvey Dent. The radio guy tried to get me to change my answer, "you're sure it wasn't the Commissioner?"

The prize: a limo ride and free video rental. The limo came to our house, my sister and I were taken to the video store in nearby Ukiah, and I picked out Live and Let Die because I was getting into the Beatles at the time and Mr. Paul did the theme song. The limo had a TV and VCR so my sister and I were able to watch the Pink Panther cartoon that preceeded the movie on our way home. :D

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
Of the billion odd contests I've entered I haven't won jack squat. I have won money on lottery tickets before, but nothing serious.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
In 1987 I won a drawing sponsored by MTV and Warner Music promoting Howard Jones' 3rd Warner album "One to One"- I got a Zenith Hi-Fi stereo VCR, 50 music video tapes (25 from Warner, 25 from CBS/FOX) and a set of Bose "Video Roommate" speakers. I filled out a form at a Tower Records store and a few months later UPS showed up with some boxes! I still have the tapes and the VCR, which still works fine though it doesn't get much use these days; I gave the speakers to my dad.
The grand prize winner got the same items plus a Zenith TV and a live MTV broadcast from their house with Howard Jones in attendance- I wonder who ended up winning that and if anyone has a tape of the MTV event, as I'm cable-free and never got to see it :)
I also won a Fisher-Price PXL-2000 camera (the one that shoots black-and-white low-resolution video on audio cassette tapes) from a write-a-commercial contest from Tide detergent- these are collectors' items now.

Todd K

Second Unit
In college I used to have a knack for winning radio contests- you know, being a certain numbered caller. Never won anything big though. If you practice at it you can get pretty good.

Won some movie tickets, comedy club tickets, and I think maybe a carboard stand-up Chewbacca that I never claimed.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
About 6 years ago I won a radio station contest where they played a clip from Heat and I was the first to identify it.

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
Let's see...a 19" TV at the company picnic about seven years ago, a few free bottles of soda from twisting the cap off, and three CDs (Blur, Gigolo Aunts, and Atari Teenage Riot).

Ryan, perhaps you need to go to Scooterpalooza to better your chances. ;)

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
When Win 95 came out, the makers of a driving game called Pod had a top ten list contest. They asked contestants to write the top ten things to do while waiting for Pod to be released. So I came up with a list and entered and won 1st place, a Thrustmaster T2 driving wheel for my PC.

-Keith

Shane Bos

Second Unit
I won an authentic autographed Joe Sakic 2002 NHL All-Star jersey in a hockey pool run by Jersey City. I was only like 8 points from winning the Bobby Orr jersey. I also won a Clearnet prepaid cell phone at a launch party (note the company doesn't even exist anymore).

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
A won a grand at a Celtics game. I won circus tickets for winning a coloring contest when I was 4 or 5 too! :)

My dad won a Jeep Wrangler a few years ago (!)

LewB

Screenwriter
I'm sure that everyone claimed their 'winnings' on their taxes, right ? :rolleyes

BrandonM

Stunt Coordinator
Three years ago, I played ESPN Baseball Challenge with my friends, which is essentially a version of fantasy baseball where you pick new players each day with a limit on how much you "spend" for the lineup. For one week, I just so happened to have the highest scoring lineup out of anyone on ESPN and I was named one of the weekly winners. Then, at the end of the season all of the weekly winners were put into a drawing and I just so happened to win. The prize was a Sony Home Entertainment System which included a 32" TV, 5.1 Speaker Setup and DVD Player. :) I still use the system to this day.

Kris McLaughlin

Stunt Coordinator
Some of my winnings:
- A Sony Sports Walkman (pretty cool, I was like 10 yrs. old)

- A matted & mounted "autographed" poster of Britney Spears from a music store (pretty cool, I was like 19 yrs. old :) ) Enjoyed this one on my wall for a while, then sold it for a small profit :emoji_thumbsup:

- A long-sleeved "Had Ex today?" shirt from Molson Brewery

Anders Englund

Second Unit
I won a LEGO building contest when I was like 8. Got me another LEGO set. Later that year I also won a bicycle helmet in another contest.

I think my luck ran out about then... :frowning:

--Anders

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Many years ago, I won a small Victorinox kitchen knife in a box of J-Cloth towels. On of the towels had the message "You've Won!" printed on it.

Then a couple of years ago, The Big Picture DVD site had a contest where you had to identify the movie titles associated with five very brief music sound clips. The prize was the CD soundtrack of one of those movies. I picked Reservoir Dogs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks