Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Is PAN & SCAN more popular??

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 of 20 Matt Mediate

Matt Mediate

Extra

• 22 posts

Posted March 13 2003 - 11:06 PM

Alright, the story goes like this: I stopped at my local Walmart to check out the new releases after work a few weeks ago. One hour photo was that weeks new release. To my astonishment, Neither of my local Walmarts were carrying the widescreen version of the film. To make matters worse, there was a big sticker on the cover which said something to the degree of NO BLACK BARS!! FILLS YOUR SCREEN!The clerk at the one store claimed that most of her customers want the full screen version. I live in Pittsburgh. It's not the most sophistcated place on earth but it's not backwater USA either. Has anyone else encountered similar strange behavior in their neck of the woods. Does the general public really prefer pan scan?

#2 of 20 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,353 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 14 2003 - 12:13 AM

Quote:
Does the general public really prefer pan scan?

No, but Walmart thinks they do.

#3 of 20 Bryan X

Bryan X

Producer

• 3,469 posts

Posted March 14 2003 - 12:21 AM

I found the same situation at my Wal-Mart in Ohio with 'One Hour Photo'. I asked the associate why they didn't have the widescreen version and she gave me some b.s. that they have NO control over what they are sent.....

#4 of 20 Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit

• 488 posts

Posted March 14 2003 - 01:45 AM

The "FORMATTED TO FIT YOUR SCREEN (NO BLACK BARS)" sticker is a Fox thing....

#5 of 20 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,508 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted March 14 2003 - 01:57 AM

Quote:
The "FORMATTED TO FIT YOUR SCREEN (NO BLACK BARS)" sticker is a Fox thing....

Amazing how they know for a fact that everybody in the country watches movies on a 4:3 display. Posted Image

Overall, WS outsells P&S. Wal-Mart simply caters to more J6P's by nature of their size and clientele. But the Wal-Marts around here stock both versions.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#6 of 20 Tony-B

Tony-B

Producer

• 3,768 posts

Posted March 14 2003 - 03:47 AM

Might I add that The Ring's "Full-Screen" edition outsold the Widescreen edition in the first week. But that doesn't happen very often.
DVD Collection/Video Game Collection/Music Collection
"The Weighted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you." -GLaDOS

#7 of 20 Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit

• 468 posts

Posted March 14 2003 - 03:49 AM

I ought buy it and return the damn thing saying I expected no black bars since the sticker told me that but got black bars on the sides of my widescreen tv. My Wal-Mart had only full-frame versions of The Ring as well as One Hour Photo. If people were educated about widescreen we wouldn't have this crap. The Wal-Mart employees go out of their way to be ignorant.

#8 of 20 WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,213 posts

Posted March 14 2003 - 03:59 AM

"Might I add that The Ring's "Full-Screen" edition outsold the Widescreen edition in the first week. But that doesn't happen very often."

Well, from what I read in reviews and such "The Ring" Seems pretty pedestrian. The type that would sell well to J6P, but enthusiasts might more likely skip.

Of course we are the same people who are begging for Special Editions of the "Friday the 13th" series, so go figure.
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#9 of 20 Dean_Jonesy

Dean_Jonesy

Agent

• 37 posts

Posted March 14 2003 - 04:16 AM

I ought buy it and return the damn thing saying I expected no black bars since the sticker told me that but got black bars on the sides of my widescreen tv.

My sentiments EXACTLY! Quick story. I had a friend who rented The Grinch. She rented it for herself but I told her we could watch it on my widescreen. The frickin' thing was P&S! I couldn't get myself to watch it in Zoom or Widezoom because I hate messing with the aspect ratio the DVD is in. Needless to say it was worthless to watch it at my place.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

Albert Einstein

#10 of 20 Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure

Screenwriter

• 2,702 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted March 14 2003 - 05:17 AM

The Wal-Mart employees go out of their way to be ignorant.

Because I am a nice guy I will try to overlook your narrowmindedness. I worked for Wal-Mart 10 years ago in electronics and I now work there again in the garden center. I am as big a OAR advocate as you will find, as are quite a few people employed by Wal-Mart. While some employees do not know the difference or, worse yet, care about the difference, that does not make us all ignorant.

All the Wal-Mart stores local to me stock both P&S and widescreen versions of films because of customer input. YES customer input. Don't yell and scream and make an ass of yourself about it, just ask nicely to speak with the dept. manager or store manager and tell them you would like them to stock the widescreen versions of movies. They will relay the information when having meetings or send it to their supervisors via e-mail. If enough people rationally comment they prefer the OAR or widescreen version to the P&S version, then the tide may change at your local Wal-Mart. Completely boycotting Wal-Mart because of a poor DVD selection is laughable at best and intentionally buying DVDs then returning them complaining they are not OAR will not win the war.

I asked the associate why they didn't have the widescreen version and she gave me some b.s. that they have NO control over what they are sent.....

This is correct. Items are demographically selected and sent to stores. If a white toilet seat sells better in Alabama than a blue seat with a rebel flag on it, guess which toilet seat goes to the hardware/plumbing dept. in Alabama? Store level associates have absolutely no control over the merchandise send by the regional distribution centers. That is all controlled by sales totals automatically generated by the inventory control system when items are purchased. People who intentionally buy P&S DVDs thinking they are sending a message by returning them all are actually shooting themselves in the foot. If 20 DVDs of the P&S version of the Ring are sold, the ICS automatically orders 20 more copies to replace sold inventory. If all 20 people return the P&S version, there are now 40 P&S copies on the shelf waiting to be sold rather than just 20 copies. From a retail standpoint, it makes more sense to just not buy the P&S version than to buy the P&S and return it intentionally. This is why it is vitally important to nicely ask the manager to relay your message to their boss about stocking OAR versions of movies. If you treat the manager like an imbecile, your request will most likely go no further.

#11 of 20 Kami

Kami

Screenwriter

• 1,496 posts

Posted March 14 2003 - 05:27 AM

Quote:
Might I add that The Ring's "Full-Screen" edition outsold the Widescreen edition in the first week. But that doesn't happen very often.
It could be because every store I went to had about 80% fullscreen, 20% widescreen Posted Image

Oh well, as long as they don't stop offering widescreen versions. J6P is gonna be whining in 5-10 years when widescreen TVs are more standard and they have black bars on the left and right. Or maybe they'll be content with stretching the crap out of it.

#12 of 20 Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood

Producer

• 3,215 posts

Posted March 14 2003 - 05:34 AM

> I live in Pittsburgh. It's not the most sophistcated place on earth but it's not backwater USA either.

I would blame the situation on Wal-Mart, not the city you're in.

Whenever I look at sales charts for titles that have separate WS and P&S releases, the WS always seems to rank higher.

Plus you have to consider some people accidentally buy the P&S version, not knowing there's a separate WS version. (In other words they assume all DVDs are WS, based on the fact that most are.)

I really think the number of people who actually prefer P&S, after it's been correctly explained to them, is pretty small. It's more like some don't really care one way or the other.

#13 of 20 Charlie Essmeier

Charlie Essmeier

Stunt Coordinator

• 139 posts

Posted March 14 2003 - 06:03 AM

I live in rural Utah, and my local Wal-Mart stocks plenty of widescreen films. While I don't expect them to carry every title I'm seeking, I've never found something I was seeking in widescreen to be available in full frame only.

Charlie

#14 of 20 RobD

RobD

Second Unit

• 264 posts

Posted March 14 2003 - 06:52 AM

Full Screen releases are even rarer here in Europe, only one I can think of is Harry Potter. I think its for the best really that widescreen is forced down people's throats.

What I really hate is the odd film that is chopped from its original full screen aspect to wide screen.

#15 of 20 Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,456 posts
  • LocationBlairsville, GA, USA

Posted March 14 2003 - 08:33 AM

Pan & scan has never been popular...

It has been accepted.

Non-original aspect ratio releases just were the normal way to go. When people get used to something over 20-some years, that's what people are going to be safe with.

It's like getting someone to switch their brand of cigarettes after years of smoking it. And it's addictive.

#16 of 20 MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted March 14 2003 - 05:02 PM

Quote:
It's like getting someone to switch their brand of cigarettes after years of smoking it. And it's addictive.
Good analogy. It's like greasy foods, I know they are bad for me, but I continue to eat them becuase I don't care that they are bad for me.

It's similar to people who are used to P&S, educating them to the fact that WS is better is sometimes futile because they don't care that P&S is bad.

#17 of 20 Lars Vermundsberget

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor

• 725 posts

Posted March 15 2003 - 12:06 PM

Quote: "It could be because every store I went to had about 80% fullscreen, 20% widescreen "

---

That could be because the widescreen versions sell and the "fullscreen" versions stay on the shelf.

#18 of 20 Rob T

Rob T

Screenwriter

• 1,991 posts

Posted March 15 2003 - 12:45 PM

Quote:
But the Wal-Marts around here stock both versions.

Same here.
The pan & scan (or open-matte) versions are always greater in number and the widescreen versions are always hidden behind (or under) the pan & scan (or open-matte) versions, but if you look for them, they can be found. Posted Image

#19 of 20 Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted March 15 2003 - 01:07 PM

RobD,

your in a small minority of people, myself included, who's had the balls to say what you did, that OAR should be forced upon the public, that's the only way they'll ever come to accept it.

I have no idea why a smart studio like Fox would put such a sticker on their full screen releases, it undermines the integrity they've built for themselves. It's also false, if someone has a 16x9 their WILL be bars, grey ones, on the sides.
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#20 of 20 Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt

Producer

• 4,207 posts

Posted March 15 2003 - 02:01 PM

John, that's why whenever an only fullscreen release is made, we need to write the studios and tell them that it is NOT formatted to fit my screen!

As for the 80/20%, consider that a stupid J6P picks up a widescreen version by accident, and then returns it for a fullscreen exchange. That is considered a 'widescreen sale' as well.

Glenn

Back to Archived Threads 2001-2004

Forum Nav Content I Follow