Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY - DVD Comparison needed

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Hal M

Hal M

Agent

• 36 posts

Posted March 12 2003 - 05:23 PM

Has anyone compared the older DVD release of HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY with Fox's new release? Is it the same transfer? Better? Worse? I have the old, wondering if I should get the new. If it's better, I'll want it.

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Rain

Rain

Producer

• 5,020 posts

Posted March 12 2003 - 05:53 PM

While I never owned the original disc, it is my understanding that the transfer on the newer disc is a marked improvement (it is definitely not the same transfer).

Ron's review of the new DVD is here.

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Mitty

Mitty

Supporting Actor

• 886 posts

Posted March 12 2003 - 07:05 PM

I only have the old one. We're not much help, are we? Posted Image

I didn't really think the older release was so bad, although it's been a while since I looked at it. It was originally released right around the same time as "Gentlemen's Agreement," "Miracle on 34th Street," etc. The only title I really recall being disappointed with amongst those was "All About Eve." The old DVD of that is a real mess. That's the only one I upgraded.

BTW, anxiously awaiting "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" to complete the three I need to get "Sunrise."

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Lead Actor

• 7,597 posts

Posted March 13 2003 - 12:09 AM

Yes.

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

• 1,348 posts

Posted March 13 2003 - 01:00 AM

Quote:
Ron's review of the new DVD is here.

Well, that's not much help for Hal's question. Although he wrote a fine review, Ron didn't compare the new DVD to the old and had actually never seen this classic movie before watching the new DVD.

As Robert briefly confirmed (I think), the new DVD has noticeably better video quality. DVD File's review does compare the two releases' quality, as does DVD Verdict's.

Of course, with the new release, you also get two nice extras in the commentary track (including film historian Joseph McBride and actress Anna Lee Nathan) and the AMC Backstory episode about the making of the film. And it's cheap!
Randy A. Salas
DVD Columnist & Feature Writer
Minneapolis Star Tribune daily newspaper

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Lead Actor

• 7,597 posts

Posted March 13 2003 - 03:25 AM

The problem with the original release of How Green on DVD was more in compression that transfer or film element.

The new release eliminates a number of annoying artifacts which were found in the original.

Fox has done their homework.

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Rain

Rain

Producer

• 5,020 posts

Posted March 13 2003 - 08:55 AM

Quote:
Ron didn't compare the new DVD to the old and had actually never seen this classic movie before watching the new DVD.
Well I know, but given some of the comments in that thread, I thought it was better than nothing. :P)

Of course we now have Robert Harris's opinion, which should pretty much clinch it. Posted Image

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Hal M

Hal M

Agent

• 36 posts

Posted March 16 2003 - 07:46 PM

Thanks, everyone. Guess it's time to place my order. This is a film I love so the better it looks, the happier I am.

Thanks again,

Hal

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter

• 1,568 posts

Posted March 16 2003 - 07:57 PM

You'll learn one hell of a lot about its making too! A wonderful disc, highly recommended!

Forum Nav Content I Follow