What's new

When Will All This "Reality Tv" Madness End? (1 Viewer)

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
Have'nt we had just about enough of all these "reality" shows?

After watch SNL this weekend with their spoof "Who Farted?", I'm surprised FOX hasn't ran with this idea.

Now we have a new edition of "The Bachelor" and coming in April, we have "Mr. Personality" where the female contestants date men who are wearing masks and the women can only decide who will be a potential mate by their personality.

It's bad enough now that new tv shows are being pushed aside for these "shows" and even tried and true shows are given little air time over the last few weeks.

And don't even get me started on "The Family". How tired are these stereotypes with the Italian-American family from Jersey?

Imagine if they had chosen a family of a different background? Yikes! the crap would have really hit the fan!

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Tell me about it. It's horrible. I never watched one before. I just don't think they're interesting. I'm fearing that in 20 years...they're going to be the only things on TV.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Count me among those annoyed that these shows are coming at the expense of original "fictional" programming. I've sampled a few of these reality shows and I just don't find it entertaining at all.

Robert, I'm sure this won't last more than a year or two. Any time the networks flood the programming as they're doing with reality TV, there's a backlash. That Regis millionaire show is a perfect example. Once it was aired 4 times a week, it sank almost as fast as it became popular.

Chris Brunner

Second Unit
More is STILL coming. I have a friend who just auditioned for a proposed new reality show. SURPRISE!!! It's about "love and dating". :rolleyes

C

Paul E. Fox II

Second Unit
These shows will end when the ratings start to drop. Right now, even the bad ones are getting better ratings than the "normal" fare on TV and are MUCH cheaper to produce so you can expect to see them for quite a while.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
It'll happen just as soon as people stop watching them. A lot of people - these things are so cheap that they don't have to do especially well to be cost-effective.

As to when that will happen? I couldn't guess. Maybe when the next fad hits, or when something truly disturbing happens on one.

Stephen Heath

Stunt Coordinator
ROFL, thanks for reminding me of the SNL spoof. Did you also see the one later in the show... "I'm A Celebrity Who Farted"?

To be honest, I was hoping they'd throw Sean Connery in, after all, he does a great job on Celebrity Jeopardy =p

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
coming in April, we have "Mr. Personality" where the female contestants date men who are wearing masks and the women can only decide who will be a potential mate by their personality
I remember when this was called "The Dating Game".

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I was going to start a "I HATE REALITY TV" thread but thought it was too biased on my HATRED of these pathetic programs. This is why new shows like MIRACLES catches my attention, because there is some imagination behind it, other than some group sitting in a room and brainstorming how to get (A) 'good' looking girl to (B) date (C) marry (D) 'good' looking guy.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> we have "Mr. Personality" where the female contestants date men who are wearing masks and the women can only decide who will be a potential mate by their personality.

Picking a mate based on personality? That's sick! :D

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
quote:
good god I hate them all, haven't seen a one........

Spot the logical error in this argument!
Unless the commercials are misrepresenting what the show is about, you can judge whether you like them or not based on the commercials. If you're watching a commercial for a reality show and you're thinking "I'm sick of this already", then you can tell whether you like it or not.

The networks like these shows because they are cheap to produce. But I doubt that anyone will want to re-watch any of them. Few will want to watch these shows in syndication or buy DVDs of any of them.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> And don't even get me started on "The Family". How tired are these stereotypes with the Italian-American family from Jersey?

Notice how the logo from that show is in a font reminiscent of The Sopranos or The Godfather? I'm sure that's a coincidence.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I have nothing wrong with these reality shows. If anything, it gives fictional/written programming a run for it's money, cutting out the crap and leaving only the good stuff behind. I'd much rather have some bad reality TV than a bunch of bad sitcoms or spinoff shows.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
So long as daytime TV lives on Jerry Springer type shows and Court TV. Prime time TV will embrace these shows because they have a similar voyeuristic appeal and they are cheap to make. No writers, everything is spontaneous to a degree. They have essentially replaced the 1/2 sit-com and are starting to replace the 1 hour dramas.

Wayne W

Stunt Coordinator
How about a reality show where they take all the producers of reality shows and leave them on an island without food or water?

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Oh, there will probably be a backlash when somebody on a reality show dies on-camera. Even more backlash if it is a gruesome death. And maybe the backlash will be enough to put a big dent in reality shows. But probably not. The ratings will probably go through the roof instead. Don Henley wrote a song about it about 20 years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks