What's new

Those sneaky folks at Fox and their Studio Classics spine numbers... (1 Viewer)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
With my first two titles in house (neither of which I've ever seen), I see that Fox is playing with my collector's brain by numbering the spines of these Studio Classics releases. Do you really think this is going to make me buy them all?

...probably... :frowning: :)

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Um, that might be my fault. In a feedback thread on the demise of the Five Star series I suggested to Peter Staddon that Fox might have done better to number them, a la Criterion, since then they could sell the set to obsessives (or Obsessives, as the case may be) like you and me. They seem to have taken the suggestion to heart. :b Whoops.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Mark,

I remember that. You are morally obliged now of course to keep one of those ownership threads in your sig. :)
(Mine would be something like:
TCFC 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5
= own 1 and 5, but 2, 3, 4 and >5 not received yet.)
:D

Cees

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
They have spine number?

Well how about that.

Let me now file that in the "whatever" section of my brain.

If people are actually encouraged to buy DVDs just because they have numbers on their spines, then I would like to encourage Fox and others to go right ahead and milk it for all it's worth. :laugh:

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Cees,

I would do that if I could find any place that stocked the darn things! It took me over a month to find How Green Was My Valley, and am still coming up dry on Affair to Remember. They're not making this easy....:frowning:

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Mark - you bastard! :)

I think I also brought this up at some point.... I should learn to keep my mouth shut. grrr

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Well, from the reviews I've read, these DVDs are worthy of being identified as if they were from Criterion.

Few studios will make sure an entire DVD series will have a restored video/audio transfer, considerable extras, and classy movie choices.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Sunrise just says "Limited Edition" in the spot for a spine #. So those who choose to go without need not have any fear for their numbering being incomplete. Not that I would know anything about being incredibly anal like that. :b

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
what I would like to know is would these Fox Studio Classic line be continued in 2004 and beyond ?

anybody know the answer to this ?

Thanks

:emoji_thumbsup:

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Yeah, I realized something similar when I was at the market today and bought four Lean Cuisines because they were "4 for $10." Afterwards I thought, "I didn't have to buy four. They're $2.50 a piece. Why doesn't the sign simply say say $2.50 a piece?"

Then I realized exactly why the sign doesn't say that, and boy, did I feel like a sucker. :rolleyes:

I didn't notice the Fox spine numbers either. I just filled out my form to get "Sunrise" last night, and was going to mail it today, but I want to photocopy the receipt and the form proofs of purchase -- I am scared to death it's going to get lost in the mail or lost by someone at Fox. At least this way I'll have proof if it does.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yeah, I realized something similar when I was at the market today and bought four Lean Cuisines because they were "4 for $10." Afterwards I thought, "I didn't have to buy four. They're $2.50 a piece. Why doesn't the sign simply say say $2.50 a piece?"
I've been having this same discussion around here. All the area supermarkets are having a sale on the same brand of frozen pizza. It comes out to $2 each, but none of the stores are advertising them for $2. One has them advertised for "3 for $6" and two others have them advertised for "5 for $10." I wonder which store will sell more? :wink:

Since the offer to get "Sunrise" requires three purchases, they should have numbered "Sunrise" as #4. :D

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
One has them advertised for "3 for $6" and two others have them advertised for "5 for $10."
If I didn't stop to think about it, my impulse would be "5 for $10." It just sounds like a better deal, doesn't it? :laugh: Jeez, the way they play with our minds. Makes you wonder what exactly Fox was up to with this Sunrise deal.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
I remember when I was young the signs would actually say something like 3 for $1 (or $.50 each (or individually)). Is this illegal to do now or something?

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
My local grocery has their computers set up so you can buy pizzas individually at $2.50 each or 5 for $10, so it's still in practice in at least some locales.

Now, if they individually numbered the pizzas, would the "collect them all" mentality set it? Or would people conclude (as I have with Criterion, after collecting up to #150) that there are just too damned many to keep up with?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I remember when I was young the signs would actually say something like 3 for $1 (or $.50 each (or individually)). Is this illegal to do now or something?
I think it's legal, but they probably get tired of the complaints from people who don't want to buy the large quantity and don't think it's fair to have to pay a higher per-item price for only buying one or two. Occasionally I'll see ads that specify, "Must buy quantity indicated for discount. Lesser quantity at regular price." But it's fairly rare.

Disney did a similar numbering scheme for the "Beauty and the Beast" trilogy. B&TB was "I", Enchanted Christmas was "II" and Belle's Magical World was "III." And they even offered a snazzy case via mail order "to hold all three."

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
For you folks looking for An Affair To Remember:

1) Target has it right now for $14.99

2) Best Buy will DEFINATELY have it next week. It's part of a sale promotion. I can't say yet what the promo is due to forum rules. But it's a deal similar to the current Best Buy 2-for-$25 deal (which has strange similarities to the grocery-store-related posts in this thread! :) ).

So, there's hope. Frankly, I would try waiting for next week to see. If you can't wait, or don't want to risk it, then I doubt you'll regret the Target price. But keep in mind that BB's regular price on this is $14.99 as well, so there's no loss in waiting. BB *should* have stock on Sunday, in time for this ad. At least if you're there at opening! Plus, there's always BB.com if worst comes to worst.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks