What's new

Trading shows? (1 Viewer)

TedE

Stunt Coordinator
Just curious, does anybody who frequents this area trade live shows? If so, which bands?

I'm just getting back into it after taking years off. I used to trade lots of Blues Traveler back in the day and gave away my WHOLE collection when I moved and it bacame a hassle. Now I'm starting to rebuild (and discovering other bands in the process), and I'm amazed at how much more enjoyable and hassle-free the hobby is with the advent of CD burners (having a wide-open T3 pipe and a burner at work doesn't hurt either ;) ). Sure as hell beats worrying about sketchy 5th-gen copies of tapes. Download SHNs, decode, burn: no muss, no fuss.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
FurthurNet is an online sharing service for bands that have expressed that they don't mind live-show trading.

Indispensable service IMO.

TedE

Stunt Coordinator
I've been grabbing some shows from the archive.org (etree) but mostly it's been from folks personal servers that have offered them up. Just trying to get shows that I attended (read: older shows) or some newer stuff from some bands that don't make it to my area much. I can tear through a spindle of 50 in about 2 weeks at the rate I'm going. Like a kid in a candy store. I know I started sounding like an old-timer (and I'm only 29!) when I actually said to a buddy the other day "Kids these days don't know how good they have it!". Yeah. Like it's, "Back in my day, we had to trudge 3, no 4 miles through driving rain to drop off blank tapes at the post office, and all we got in return were sh#$%y copies with breaks for side flips and full of hiss."

TedE

Stunt Coordinator
Greg,

I've been starting to get back into seeing shows after being away from the "scene" for a long time due to work/personal stuff. A lot of local stuff here in D.C. I guess I've been into "jam" bands for awhile now, but not the really big names like Phish or SCI or DMB; never really got the appeal. I still get into Blues Trav, but they aren't what they were 7-8 years ago. A couple that I've recently picked up on: Pseudopod (who rock), Carbon Leaf (Irish influenced, great live shows), O.A.R. (they REALLY deserve a better fan base than the whiny high schoolers and college kids that follow them around), WSP (well, was in to them years ago but caught them again recently), guy named Matt Nathanson whose shows are pratically stand-up comedy; very funny. Gabe Dixon Band: these guys are incredible and I've only been able to get my hands on a couple shows. And whatever else piques my interest ;)

TedE

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not too keen on the whole pay-for-download stuff (and luckily no band that I'm in to does that). I realize that they are only trying to get their piece of the pie, but when I see smaller bands without major label recording contracts releasing their SBD sources for free ...

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
yeah, I started to put together a page of the shows I have here and I am currently downloading a David Bowie show from 83, I get mine through DC.

Van Patton

Second Unit
Yes I was at at the 3/01/03 Phish show and have that and the 2/26/03 on my harddrive that i bought. Also nugs.net has a good selection of jam bands shows for download and to listen to.

Jason_H

Second Unit
Are there any other sources out there for SHN concerts? I have tried Furthernet but it doesn't seem to be all that reliable (or have enough members yet).

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I've done alot of trading, mostly the Dead and Dylan, but some Beck, Aimee Mann, etc., along the way.

What I'd like to do is get in touch with people willing to trade/b+p for OOP DCC gold discs and MFSLs. I've got DCC Golds of Joni Mitchell's "BLUE" and "COURT AND SPARK", and they sound amazing, nearly as good as my favorite SACDs. These are essentially gone, except for the exhorbitant prices they bring on eBay (I paid $65 for an open copy of "COURT AND SPARK", and was assured by folks over at the SH forums that this was a good deal).

I don't want to step on any toes regarding copyright issues (are there even such issues? these discs are simply unavailable from any source other than private collectors), but it's something I've been thinking about as I find myself unable to find such gems as DCC's Jethro Tull "Aqualung" and "Original Masters", or MFSL's "Bookends", "Innervisions", "Velvet Underground and Nico", etc.

robertLP

Stunt Coordinator
Best way to get these shows is to trade directly with other like-minded people. After exchaging lists, you can then rec'd something that the other trader might like. I've been introduced to more than a few great bands this way.

This is a more 'human' way to collect shows then simply downloading off some site. Also, you'll get far more variety.

BTW, my list is at http://db.etree.org/rplace76 ;)

Rob

Brett_H

Second Unit
Count me in as a frequent downloader. Started off with WSP, but have recently began listening to a lot more Phish. (and even attended my 2nd and 3rd shows of theirs in Cincinnati) I've managed to score nearly every show of theirs since the reunion using BitTorrent. For those of you not familiar with this technology, please check out this forum for FAQs and some sources:
http://forums.etree.org/viewforum.php?f=21

Oh, and my list can be found here:
http://db.etree.org/brett_haney

It's really outdated, though, I've just gotten lazy since last summer!

-Brett.

PS - Ted, I recently came across some BT shows from Nov 7-10, 2002. I gave them a listen, but they're not really my taste. I'd be glad to send them to you, shoot me an email if interested:
brett_haney {at} yahoo.com

TedE

Stunt Coordinator
Brett,

Thanks for the offer. I've really been concentrating on getting their older shows (ca. pre-1996). I'm not surprised that you didn't find their recent stuff that great; compared to their heyday it isn't. After Bobby Sheehan died things seemed to fall apart. The last couple of albums have been fair to middling at best. But back in the day, their live shows were great. I saw them on Halloween this year and wasn't all that impressed with the newer stuff.

But, hey, if you're offering up free disks who am I to argue :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks