What's new

Toshiba 50H82 (1 Viewer)

AllanY

Auditioning
Hi, I'm planning to buy Toshiba 50H82 widescreen HDTV-ready television. Why I'm considering this TV? Because of its price! The price is relatively cheaper than Sony's. So is that a good buy? Any problem with 50H82??? how are they compare with other brand like Sony/Panny/Hitachi etc. in terms of quality, performance or reliability?

Btw, I'm going to watch a lot of TV (4:3) with this unit.

Any comments are appreciated. Thanks!;)

AllanY

Auditioning
Here's the feature sheet for Toshiba 50H82:
-------------------------------------------

Key Product Features and Options

Features

- Digital Video Noise Reduction analyses multiple video frames, determines the amount of noise present, and applies the correct amount of noise reduction, resulting in crisp, clear pictures.
- IDSCpro provides a seamless management of all video sources for stunning HD-compatible picture quality.
- Dual Tuner Multi-Window (9) Picture Outside Picture (POP) offers two built-in tuners that can display two pictures of equal size, side by side, or up to nine windows all at once.
- ShortWing Advanced Lens Technology, exclusive to Toshiba, creates an extremely accurate beam spot for stunning HD picture quality.
- 3:2 Pulldown Detection and Compensation creates proper reconstruction of film-based (24 fps) content on video, and eliminates artefacts and jagged edges caused by improper processing.
- A Wide Band Video Amplifier ensures accurate reproduction of high-resolution signals, such as progressive scan DVD and 1080i HDTV content.
- TouchFocus™ Auto Convergence System restores the pre-set factory convergence for more accurate pictures.

Convenience

- 37-Key Back Lit Universal Remote Control
- Favourite Channel
- Channel Label
- Trilingual On-Screen Display
- Off Timer
- Closed Captioning
- Channel Lock
- Video Lock
- Speed Surf
- Quick Connection Guide
- Advanced Channel Return
- Clock
- 2 Level Mute
- Video Label
- Front Terminals

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
If price is the overriding factor and you plan to watch tons of regular 4x3 TV, have you also considered the 4x3 Tosh 50H72 instead?

Depending on the actual price difference AND what exactly matters most to you AND how long you expect the TV to last for you, etc., that might be the better option for you.

_Man_

AllanY

Auditioning
true.. i'm not sure how much for 50H72. i'll hit the shop this weekend and find out. if the difference isn't big, i might be better off with 50H82.

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor
If you watch a lot of 4:3 television I would recommend going with the 4:3 Toshiba. I own the 50H82 and couldn't be happier with it. However, the picture leaves a lot to be desired when watching 4:3 material on cable or Directv. The stretch modes are nice, but if your picture isn't that great to begin with it will look even worse after being stretched. Go someplace like Best Buy that has the 50H82 out and view some non DVD or HD sources and see what you think.

Ken Custodio

Second Unit
But if you are going to have that TV for say the next 10 years, hopefully in the next 3 years everything will be widescreen. but you never know.
So you might as well get a 16:9 tv, plus the stretch modes for 4:3 material on the toshiba look great. I watch 70/30% 4:3 / Widscreen material.

Shana

Stunt Coordinator
I have the 57H82 and it gets a pretty good screen with 4:3 stretched on my Directv. Pickier people may not agree, but I am very satisfied.

Kami

Screenwriter
I also plan on buying a 50H82 this summer. I've been waiting for this for years, I can't wait :D:D:D After lots and lots of reading on all the forums I am totally set on this set.

Goodbye 27" Sharp piece of crap!!!! (in comparison, anyway...it's actually a good set for the price)

John Macri

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
I bought a 50H82 in December and couldn't be happier, after Video Essentials calibration and several 52 point convergence adjustments, DVDs look great. The geometry is almost perfect and 720p/1080i HDTV is awesome.

I bought the Toshiba since it has the best 4:3 stretch mode (I owned a TW40H80), and watch a lot of TV. I sit about 7.5 feet (eyeball to screen) and 50" is perfect.

Good Luck

JimC_A

Stunt Coordinator
I have the 50H82 as well. I haven't been disappointed with the picture or features. Good luck with your decision.

AllanY

Auditioning
thanks guys.. i have put down deposit for Toshiba 50H82. Although I watch 70% TV, I heard Toshiba got the best stretch mode out there. So i hope i will not be disappointed.

As for cablibration, any good site regarding this unit? thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks