-

Photo
- - - - -

Poll: Your top 3 favorite directors

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#1 of 32 Justin_S

Justin_S

Producer

• 3,573 posts

Posted March 10 2003 - 06:07 PM

I'd like to know which directors you all have as personal favorites (i.e. you love all or almost all of their films, they have the best or most intriguing ideas in your opinion, or whatever makes you love them and their films so much).

My top 3 in order are:

1) David Cronenberg- I love every single film this genius has done, and his ideas are some of the most original and interesting of any director ever. I can honestly say that I think every film he has done is a classic to me. Long live Cronenberg!

2) John Carpenter- Carpenter has two films that reside in my top five of all time, and I love almost all of his other films as well. Carpenter is also as outstanding at creating brilliant film scores as he is at making spectacular films. Its hard to name a Carpenter film that isn't a favorite of mine.

3) David Lynch- I love every film Lynch has done except for DUNE, and his masterful MULHOLLAND DR. is actually my second favorite film of all time. Lynch is an extremely innovative mastermind of cinema, and his films effect me like no other directors' films can. Once again, most all of his films are huge favorites of your's truly.

#2 of 32 Andy Olivera

Andy Olivera

Screenwriter

• 1,302 posts

Posted March 11 2003 - 12:01 AM

John Carpenter - Yeah, he has some bad films, but when he's good, he's one of the best.

David Cronenberg - I don't think I admire him for his directing skills so much as his intellect. This man is absolutely brilliant.

David Fincher - Easily my favorite in terms of sheer beauty of the final product. He doesn't exactly lack in the areas of pacing, atmosphere, or intensity, either. Oh, and between Fight Club and Panic Room, he's proved himself the all-time master of camera movement...
"It is not, and never should be, the policy of the law to require the protection of the foolhardy or reckless few and therefore to deprive, or interfere with, the enjoyment by the remainder of society of the liberties and amenities to which they are rightly entitled." -unknown

#3 of 32 Gabe D

Gabe D

Screenwriter

• 2,173 posts

Posted March 11 2003 - 12:23 AM

1. The Coen Brothers
2. David Lynch
3. Alfred Hitchcock

#4 of 32 Tommy G

Tommy G

Screenwriter

• 1,235 posts

Posted March 11 2003 - 12:29 AM

Alfred Hitchcock He is truly the master of suspense. What else needs to be said than what has already been said about this master?

Billy Wilder Can do comedy, drama, noir. There's nothing this guy couldn't do.

Steven Spielberg He did some of my all time faves including my number one all time fave - Raiders. Anyway, with Jaws, Saving Private Ryan, etc. he is number 3.

Honorable mentions go to David Lean, Frank Capra, John Ford, Stanley Kubrick and Orson Welles.
Please release The Goodies on Region 1 DVD
My DVDs

#5 of 32 george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted March 11 2003 - 12:34 AM

Alfred Hitchcock - while I certainly don't love every film he's done, he has made of 20 films I consider true masterpieces (including 4 of my top 20), films that are well-written, entertaining, with lots of symbolism and other artistic touches.

Billy Wilder - the man is simply a genius. He excels at so many things, and has made great mysteries (Double Indemnity), hilarious comedies (Some Like It Hot), and is one of the masters of mixing comedy and drams (Stalag 17, The Apartment). He usually also wrote the scripts, which in my opinion are unparalled. He's my #2 director, but my #1 screenwriter. Again, I don't like all of his films, but the vast majority are great.

These are 1 & 2 easily. Selecting #3 is hard. There are lots of candidates, but none sticks out clearly for me (Orson Welles, Stanley Kubrick, Steven Spielberg, Charlie Chaplin, Woody Allen).
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#6 of 32 george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted March 11 2003 - 12:35 AM

Geez, Tommy posted while I was composing my list. Bizarre, but damn good taste you have there. Posted Image
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#7 of 32 Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted March 11 2003 - 12:43 AM

Kurosawa
Kubrick
Hitchcock

Death before Streaming!

#8 of 32 Angelo.M

Angelo.M

Producer

• 4,007 posts

Posted March 11 2003 - 12:54 AM

This changes all the time. At the moment:
  • Woody Allen
  • Hitchcock
  • Fincher

#9 of 32 SteveGon

SteveGon

Executive Producer

• 12,267 posts

Posted March 11 2003 - 12:57 AM

Stanley Kubrick
Orson Welles
Werner Herzog

Kurosawa would be a very close #4.

#10 of 32 Rand

Rand

Supporting Actor

• 626 posts

Posted March 11 2003 - 01:19 AM

Naming only three is tough and the third slot could have gone to several different people.

William Wyler Gets my vote as the greatest director of film. Very versatile and many great films, including two of my top ten.

John Ford Also one of the very greatest directors, not as versatile as Wyler but great in every sense.

Ang Lee Thought I include my favorite current director here.

#11 of 32 JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted March 11 2003 - 01:34 AM

Stanley Kubrick
Akira Kurosawa
Oliver Stone

Also love:
Alfred Hitchcock,Martin Scorcese,Coen Bros

#12 of 32 ChuckDeLa

ChuckDeLa

Screenwriter

• 2,802 posts

Posted March 11 2003 - 03:05 AM

What Jim said...
Kurosawa
Kubrick
Hitchcock

I have one shelf on my DVD rack devoted to specific directors: these three, and Woody Allen.

#13 of 32 Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Second Unit

• 250 posts

Posted March 11 2003 - 04:09 AM

1. Hitchcock
2. Capra
3. Wyler

#14 of 32 Brook K

Brook K

Lead Actor

• 9,468 posts

Posted March 11 2003 - 04:56 AM

1. Akira Kurosawa - He understood human beings as well as anyone who ever directed films. Known for action-filled samurai epics, it's his gentleness and humanity that most attracts me in films like Ikiru, Ran, Rashomon, and Madadayo.

2. Stanley Kubrick - Combined technical genius with the ability to pull every element of filmmaking together to create his cinematic masterpieces. I treasure each of his films.

3. Ingmar Bergman - Always willing to expose his soul for the world to see. Always ready to question why and to seek to understand the world we live in. Worked with 2 of the great cinematographers to create films that are showpieces of visual economy and lighting.

Rainer Werner Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, and Preston Sturges would be my runners-up.
2002 Sight & Sound Challenge: 321  Last Watched: L'enfance Nue
Last 8 Films Watched: In the Loop - A- / It Might Get Loud - B+ / What Just Happened? - B / Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs - C- / Drums Along the Mohawk - A- / Punisher War Zone - B+ / Moon - C+ / A Man For All Seasons - B+

#15 of 32 Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy

Producer

• 3,999 posts

Posted March 11 2003 - 07:08 AM

Pretty much interchangeable, but today:

1. Tarkovsky (the festival's in town, so I'm on a super Tarkovsky kick right now)

2. Bunuel

3. Hitchcock
"Only one is a wanderer;
Two together are always going somewhere."

#16 of 32 Darren H

Darren H

Second Unit

• 449 posts

Posted March 11 2003 - 08:15 AM

Tarkovsky
Dreyer
Bergman
[ long pauses ]

#17 of 32 Bill J

Bill J

Producer

• 3,970 posts

Posted March 11 2003 - 10:39 AM

1. Stanley Kubrick
2. Alfred Hitchcock
3. Akira Kurosawa

#18 of 32 Travis Olson

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor

• 936 posts

Posted March 11 2003 - 11:41 AM

1. Steven Spielberg
2. John Carpenter
3. Robert Zemeckis

#19 of 32 Vickie_M

Vickie_M

Producer

• 3,208 posts

Posted March 11 2003 - 06:58 PM

1. Terry Gilliam
2. Stanley Kubrick
3. The Coen Brothers
Favorite film of 2008 (so far): The Fall

Favorite films of 2007: There Will Be Blood, Across The Universe, The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford, Black Snake Moan

My Happy Rhodes MySpace page

#20 of 32 Jan H

Jan H

Screenwriter

• 2,010 posts

Posted March 12 2003 - 03:32 PM

1. Stanley Kubrick
2. Woody Allen
3. Steven Spielberg
(just saw Schindler's List on Laser and it bumped Billy Wilder to 4th Posted Image )