What's new

What to replace an Acurus Act 3? (1 Viewer)

Tyson

Stunt Coordinator
My Act 3 has been a faithful companion for the past several years, but I'm looking to replace it.

Requirements:

1. video switching - a couple of S-Video switches, component video not necessary (but might be nice).

2. Must be quiet. The only real drawback of my Act 3 is the hiss that it sends through the speakers. I'd like a unit that is very quiet.

3. Bass management that lets you cross over at 80hz (some units seem to only let you cross at 100hz!)

Would be nice features to have:

1. 6.1 or 7.1 outputs.

2. Dolby Prologic II (don't really care, but it would be fun to play with).

That's about it. Oh yeah, and I want to stay under $1k, that's a hard limit.

Thanks!!

Rick Guynn

Second Unit
Why don't you send in the Act3 and have it upgraded by Mondial? I think it's $900+shipping to get it upgraded to stageone features.

RG

Darrel McBane

Second Unit
The upgraded Act-3 doesn't do video switching if I remember correctly?!

For that price range the Outlaw may be a better choice. I've don't have any experience of their Pre/Pro other than what I've read here and on other forums. But, doing a search here should give you a lot of information on it.

Claude M

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Tyson, I think the Outlaw 950 Pre/Pro and the Rotel 1055 Receiver come close to what you're looking for. What are you using these days for HT speakers and amplification? Still using the marble Norhs?

James Gallup

Agent
Tyson,

Do what Rick said and upgrade the ACT3 to near "Stage One" performance via the Mondial upgrade program. Nothing else in the near 1K price range will even come close IMO.

Darrel McBane

Second Unit
You are correct Craig.

For what it's worth. I do like Prologic II and DTS Neo for TV. The upgrade of the Act-3 will do both. And if it matches the Stage One in two channel music. And reports on the Klipsch forum say it does. Then it's a bargain IMO.

Tyson

Stunt Coordinator
But is the upgrade for $900 finally going to get rid of the hiss? That is my main complaint against the Act 3 - the features are reasonable for what I'm using it for (only 5.1 HT, no music listening). I'm just tired of the hiss and noise, and figure this is my chance to get a quiet unit. Can anyone comment on how quiet the Outlaw is compared to, say, the B&K Ref 30?

Claude,
Yep, still using nOrh speakers, got a pair of marble 9.0's up front, a mini-9.0 for a center, and a pair of marble 4.0's for rears. I'm about to sell them though, and go back to 4.0's all around (ceramic 4.0's). I want to get some money out of the HT, and use it to upgrade the 2 channel setup in the other room. I just sold my Odyssey amps for specifically this purpose. I'm sorry to see them go, but I realized HT was a distant 2nd in importance to me, compared to the 2 channel setup.

Does anyone have the link to the Act 3 upgrade discussion forum? I searched on the Klipsch site for a while, but couln't find the Acurus specific topics.

JackS

Supporting Actor
Tyson- If this setup is only going to be used for HT, Consider one of the mid-priced receivers. Most of these in the 1k range can be found on line for much less. The savings may even allow you to add a two channel amp for the fronts. Feature wise, its hard to beat this option, and sound-wise, it's going to be very hard to be too critical for Home Theater use only. Jack

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks