Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Hanging the screen/weight issue

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Adam_Bailey

Adam_Bailey

Extra

• 18 posts

Posted March 10 2003 - 02:43 PM

I just got my 92" stewart screen today. I think it's going to work out great with the exception of one thing I'm a bit worried about. The box says it weighs 48 pounds. Now, the instructions just say to mount it according to your needs. Real helpful you know. Anyway, they provide four anchors(? the are long screws that have a hinge that pushes behind the drywall through a hole and then unfold, butterfly?), but I'm wondering if this is really going to be strong enough. Anyone put up a stewart screen on just drywall?

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Jim Doolittle

Jim Doolittle

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted March 11 2003 - 12:20 AM

Adam,

I would suggest that you inquire with the screen manufacturer for this type of information, I'm sure that they have experience in this matter and will be glad to assist. In the event that something got damaged, it would be better for you if you had been following their advice.
Jim Doolittle

Member ISF since 1994. ISF employee since 1996. Joe Kane Productions employee since 1996. Providing calibration and alignment services. Equipped with Philips PM5639 color analyzer, TVS Pro optical comparator, Sencore 5000, Sencore VP300, and 10 years experience.
jim@jimdoo.com
781-...

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor

• 986 posts

Posted March 11 2003 - 04:36 AM

you may want to ask at the screen section of AVS forum, Don Stewart is a regular contributor there.

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Doug_B

Doug_B

Screenwriter

• 1,084 posts

Posted March 11 2003 - 04:51 AM

I had my AV store do my screen installation. I made sure they mounted into the studs (thus using different screws), which was the installer's choice anyway. As I recall, the mounting brackets can be positioned anywhere you need them horizontally, so why not go that route.

Doug

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,341 posts

Posted March 11 2003 - 09:32 AM

I would not feel comfortable with 4 mounting bolts (with butterfly clamps) in drywall with the 92" Firehawk. Mount off the studposts instead.
Click and enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
My Home Theatre "The Holodeck"

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Adam_Bailey

Adam_Bailey

Extra

• 18 posts

Posted March 11 2003 - 05:41 PM

Thanks for the input everyone. I called Stewart and they said that those anchors are more then sufficient (not that they were real excited to help or informative, although, I admit there is little reason for the biggest and best cinema screen manufacturer to really care). I agree with everyone here that going into the studs would be better. The problem is the clamp on the frame is fixed, so it's either use the anchors or tear out the drywall.

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   EdAngell

EdAngell

Stunt Coordinator

• 84 posts

Posted March 12 2003 - 01:09 AM

Couldn't you run a couple of strips of wood across the wall horizontally and anchor them into the studs, and THEN mount the screen brackets to the strips using screws?

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Adam_Bailey

Adam_Bailey

Extra

• 18 posts

Posted March 12 2003 - 10:54 AM

yes, that appears to be the right answer. thanks.