Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Widescreen VHS on 16x9

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Jeff Brooks

Jeff Brooks

Second Unit

• 256 posts
  • LocationSugar Hill GA USA

Posted October 01 2001 - 06:14 AM

Call me crazy for asking this; but, how will a widescreen/letterbox VHS appear on my widescreen Toshiba 65H80 16x9 HDTV?

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted October 01 2001 - 06:24 AM

The heads of your VCR will read the signal magnetically encoded on the tape, and will translate this in...oh, you mean the quality Posted Image

Considering how bad they look on my 27", I'd say pretty horrible

Jeff Kleist

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Han

Han

Second Unit

• 262 posts

Posted October 01 2001 - 06:27 AM

Horribly. Usually stretched way out horizontally in "full mode" or with black bars on top and gray bars on the sides in "normal" (unaltered) mode.

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Jeff Brooks

Jeff Brooks

Second Unit

• 256 posts

Posted October 01 2001 - 06:50 AM

In other words, there is no signal interpretation, like with DVD; so, I have no real advantage over a regular 4x3 TV? The only benefit will be that the tape has the "full picture image", as opposed to "pan and scan"?

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Dmitry

Dmitry

Supporting Actor

• 743 posts

Posted October 01 2001 - 07:43 AM

I was under the impression that there was also a variety of zoom modes available of which at least one stretches the picture horizontally and vertically, filling the screen (you'd still get the black bars for aspect ratios wider than 1.78:1 of course but they'll be smaller) and keeping the geometry intact. With all that said, the quality of the image will appear to be horrendous, just like the previous posters stated.
My DVDs

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor

• 849 posts

Posted October 01 2001 - 09:27 PM

It looks like garbage juice.

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard

Screenwriter

• 2,314 posts

Posted October 02 2001 - 07:01 AM

Dmitry is correct- you can use the zoom mode, so that the geometry is correct.

As far as the "interpretation" that you speak of, I assume you are talking about DVDs that are encoded for display on 16x9 TVs. Widescreen VHS tapes have no such encoding, so they are displayed just as a non-anamorphic DVD would be. However, with the reduced horizontal resolution of VHS, they generally look, uh, not too good. Posted Image

I have made a 16x9 encoded SVHS tape from a DVD or two, as an experiment, and it looks OK- still not nearly as good as the anamorphic original.

Todd
I love to singa, about the moon-a, and the june-a, and the springa...
-Owl Jolson

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Jeff Brooks

Jeff Brooks

Second Unit

• 256 posts

Posted December 06 2001 - 12:22 PM

You guys were right. Raiders looks like crap-grainy as hell. But, when I record in the "virtual" s-vhs mode off cable, the output looks pretty decent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users