Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Ebay scam. Beware before bidding for high end receivers

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#21 of 29 OFFLINE   James Dailey

James Dailey

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted March 11 2003 - 12:57 PM

Once, for fun, I emailed guys running a similar scam on Ubid with Digital Camcorders. They have GL1's going to under $500. Of coarse it was all European West Block addresses.

I played real dumb and sent them an email saying how excited I was and how I was going to make an immediate bid. I then started asking all kinds of dumb question of what's it like "over there".

#22 of 29 OFFLINE   Mike Up

Mike Up

Second Unit

• 393 posts

Posted March 11 2003 - 01:31 PM

Phil,

When you compared the Interludes against the Alphas, were you directly comparing them in the same room?

The reason I asked is that the differing room can affect the frequency response. As you, I definitely believe in a break in period on speakers. These things are motors and are probably engineered to sound the best "after" break in(which would certainly make sensePosted Image ).

When I compared, all the Alphas sounded very, very similar but with bass being their differing point. Same was with the Polks which to me had a slightly thinner sound(all subjective and opinion oriented.) I will say that I would rather have a Polk RTI speaker any day over an Infinity Entra. Posted Image

While obviously not having my RS speakers in the same room at CC, they share very similar characteristics where I felt I was listening to my RS2000.4s with a sub but was listening to the Alpha 40s or 50s. Their sonics were that close. Like I said, there was most likely differences involving frequency from rooms but their overall character sounded like my RS. The Entras were nothing like my RS and the the Polks most certainly sounded different.

Infinity did state that there were different sonics in all the lines, even while the Entra, Interlude, and Alpha series using the "same" drivers. The overall package is what determines the sound, not just the drivers. For reference, the Entras use a 3/4" CMMD tweeter while the Interludes and Alphas use 1" CMMD tweeters. I doubt the 1" tweeter makes a difference other than having a higher output, more dispersion, and higher power handling. Since the tweeters are really the same, just slightly different sizes, the differences should be very minimal.

The differences you noted could had been in the different crossover networks. Looks as if the Alphas crossover at different high frequency points. Since the crossover networks usually use attenuation on drivers(using resistors) to even out the driver's sensitivity differences, the frequency response could be slightly different between the Interlude and Alpha series. I'm just saying, that my RS speakers are going to sound closer to what the Alpha speakers sound like, than any other speaker out there(except perhaps what the RS speakers replacedPosted Image ).

Ever hear Monitor Audio Bronze 1 speakers? A dealer just offered them to me for $250/pair. I don't know much about these other than the ads I've seen.

Have a good one.

#23 of 29 OFFLINE   Phil*K

Phil*K

Stunt Coordinator

• 170 posts

Posted March 11 2003 - 02:54 PM

Hey Mike,

Yes and no. I was able to compare them with some IL10s that were left over, but that was back when they first got them in so that would be skewed.

Electronic Express has started to carry Infinity as well and they have the Alpha sub and the Alpha 25es so I might check them out.

I would take the RTI's over the Entras as well. I was not too impressed with the Entras.

I haven't heard the Monitor Audios. There made by the Integra division of Onkyo. Having said that HiFi Buys carries Integra receiver and they might have some Monitor Audio's. They also carry Denon so maybe I'll swing by there and listen to them. I did find a review by sound and vision, which liked them. You've probably have looked it up but here's the link. They appear to be well thought of.

http://www.monitorau...iews/index.html

Take it easy,

Phil

#24 of 29 OFFLINE   Mike Up

Mike Up

Second Unit

• 393 posts

Posted March 11 2003 - 03:36 PM

Yeh,

I've done some searches and the Monitor Audio Bronze 1 had gotten some excellent reviews beating out KEF, NHT, Boston Acoustics and some others. These look like great speakers for $250. I just might have to take a drive.Posted Image

BTW, funny thing. After talking about my RS speakers lately and of course talking to Infinity about them as well, they finally put them up on their websitePosted Image . Do you think they've been eves dropping on our conversations?Posted Image

Here's the RS10 which was about $2000(perhaps higher) a pair in it's day, an awesome speaker especially considering it's loud sensitivity. The other speakers are there as well, on the page. My speakers most closely resemble the RS4s until they get more on their site. Also, if you go into the URL and change 2000.5 to 2000.4, there's my speakers. However they don't have the pictures loaded to the page yet. Looks like they're in the middle of this.Posted Image

Here's the RS home page.

Also, they posted the older Prelude PFR that used the same drivers as the RS series. The Prelude MTS uses the same CDDM drivers that are used in the Interludes, Alphas, and Entras.

Here's the excellent Overture Line.

It's nice that Infinity finally starting adding information on the older lines. You might recognize these.

Happy listening.Posted Image

#25 of 29 OFFLINE   Phil*K

Phil*K

Stunt Coordinator

• 170 posts

Posted March 11 2003 - 04:26 PM

Hey Mike,

Looks like we took over the threadPosted Image . Thanks for all the great links. Hopefully, they'll get pics up of your speakers soon so I can take a look at them Posted Image .

I saw a couple of Prelude PFR's on sale on ebay, cheap, but they had a lot of problems with them, but I suppose they could be a project speaker Posted Image . I'd love to own some of the MTS, but way above my price range. The other ones I'd like to hear are the Kappa's but no one has them in Nashville.

The Monitor Audio's seem to be a very nice speaker for the money. Certainly worth a listen Posted Image

BTW, I got a call from some guy in Chicago yesterday asking me about a review I placed on cnet. Just FYI, being you're town.

Have a good one,

Phil

#26 of 29 OFFLINE   Chas_T

Chas_T

Supporting Actor

• 758 posts

Posted March 11 2003 - 05:00 PM

Dave:

Quote:
So there is no "credit card" protection when using paypal- that is a myth.

Thanks for the info. That is pretty much what I suspected.

Phil:

Quote:
Looks like we took over the thread

I would agree!! Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#27 of 29 OFFLINE   JimmyK

JimmyK

Second Unit

• 471 posts

Posted March 12 2003 - 02:34 AM

Quote:
This thread has enlightened me a bit. I've never sold on ebay and am considering to sell quite a bit. I have my Yamaha RX-V2095, my Yamaha CD player, and a couple of Sony minidisc recorders to sell. All this sits in my closet in their boxes with manual and accessories, as they were when new.

Another option I used in the past is to sell components on consignment through my local dealer. They do take a bigger cut, but you are guaranteed a no hassle, no risk transaction.

JimmyK

#28 of 29 OFFLINE   Jerry Dreiss

Jerry Dreiss

Stunt Coordinator

• 55 posts

Posted March 12 2003 - 06:08 AM

I wanted to chime in with a caution about the Escrow scams.
Legit escrow services are great for big ticket items like cars and plasma TVs. The idea being that the bidder sends their money to the escrow service, and when the product he won on Ebay arrives at his door he informs the service who then releases the money to the seller. This, in theory, keeps everyone honest.

The problem is that scam artists have set up very convincing looking escrow service web sites that mimic legit ones. The mark/bidder sends his money to the fake escrow services account, but no product ever arrives.

Never use the escrow service suggested by the seller! If they are selling on Ebay they should have no problem using Ebays own, in house service. In fact it supposedly is cheaper then other services anyway.

This scam has turned into a multi-million dollar industry. The scammers went so far to set up a site that mimiced a web page warning people of fake escrow sites. Of course the scammers made sure their page said their escrow sites were legit. Bold!
Link to the story on MSNBC
A page for Zoids, the Coolest Toys Ever!

#29 of 29 OFFLINE   Dave Koch

Dave Koch

Stunt Coordinator

• 149 posts

Posted March 12 2003 - 07:01 AM

Jerry:

Thanks for that heads up on the escrows, I was not aware of that...

Chas_T:

You are quite welcome. I myself was not burned this way, but a friend was, so I made the Paypal thing a personal crusade. Did you know Paypal IS E-Bay?
dave
----------------------
*******The Big Cartoon DataBase

The Big Comic Book DataBase

Forum Nav Content I Follow