What's new

Sony KP-46WT500 tweaks (1 Viewer)

Daniel Metcalf

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone done any service level tweaks to this set yet? This is my first rptv & I already downloaded the service manual but I've never tweaked beyond the user menu. I've already navigated around a bit in the service menu to get acclimated but of course didn't change anything, yet! This is probably a dumb ? but what is the monoscope signal that the manuel keeps refering to? I've only had the set for 6 days so it's not really broken in yet but I'm anxious to get started, any suggestions?

Gilbert ^P

Stunt Coordinator
i've done tweaks to my Sony kp46WT500 in the service menu and all is well. i've been very happy with the results. My email is [email protected] email me and i will email you my tweaks and the site i got it from. MOST IMPORTANT--- let the set break in and turn down contrast & brightness in all pic modes to 50% or less. Pick up an Avia or sound & vision disc. Let the set break in for the first 100 to 150 hours. When you are ready to do adjustments, make sure you write down the original value just in case you mess up. Also can you do me a favor? Can you go into the serviec menu and tell me what your values are in full mode for HSIZ and VSIZ paramenters as i am curious to know if they are the same?

Ottis Fletcher

Stunt Coordinator
Gilbert, would you be able to post that site or email to me. I to have the 46wt500, and would like to know a little more about the service menu before I tweak it. BTW, I do have Avia. Thanks.

Greg_L_C

Stunt Coordinator
If any of you guys are still watching this tread, I would like to get a list of the tweaks you've done. I've had my KP46WT500 for about 3 weeks now and am very happy with the picture. I have a copy of Sound & Vision Home Theater Tune-Up DVD on the way.

Thanks

Greg

Frank_Ber

Agent
I've had my KP46WT500 for about almost 2 weeks now and only fix the red push and adjusted the contrast, hue, etc. with Sound & Vision Home Theater Tune-Up. I will try and get my hands on AVIA soon.

Dean-S

Auditioning
can someone tell me how to change the color decoder from zero to one in the service menu i have the service manual but i can find any thing on color decoder

John*I

Auditioning
I have tried to access the yahoo group sonyhs10 and it will not allow me to join. I am signed into yahoo. any suggestions, I would like to check out the tweaks.

sean_pecor

Stunt Coordinator
John I just emailed you the Sony WS500 (and WT500) tweaks document in HTML format. If others want it, let me know.

I think the original sonyhs10 site has been shut down. Earlier, the moderator shut down everyone's access and demanded everyone begin paying. Since this is in violation of the Yahoo Egroups terms of service, I think Yahoo canned the group. There is a "NEW Sony HDTV Tips Group" available, and I'm not sure but I think it is the original sonyhs10 recreated with a new name. Perhaps the original documents will appear there:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SonyHDTV

(I fixed this url on 7/15/03 since the maintainers changed the name)

Sean.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Color decoder should be "AXIS". Original value is 0, change it to 1.

"UVML" is scan velocity modulation, with values of 0 thru 3. This has to be changed for each input and in each pic mode. Original value should be 0 for Pro, 1 for Movie, 2 for Standard, and 3 for Vivid. I changed it to 0 for all but the cable input, which I set to 1 in Standard mode. Seems to help some of the more mediocre cable channels.

Gray scale (not to be confused with color decoder) is adjusted with the R, G, and B CUT and DRIV. Cut affects dark areas and DRIV brighter areas, but they are a bit interdependent.

Be sure to write down all original values before changing anything.

Omard.

Stunt Coordinator
Hi I hope i'm not to late. Can somebody send me the info to adjust the tv? I have had the tv for about a month or so. I love it it is the first big screen tv I ever owned.

ChipFiev

Grip
I just got this set today, actually. Is there anyway to calibrate the set, other than Flash Focus? I'm seeing quite a bit of grain in DVDs and I'm just getting the feeling that flash focus isn't perfect.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Chip,

Buy a copy of the "AVIA Guide to Home Theater" dvd. Might be hard to find locally but online dvd retailers carry it.
Has step by step voiceover calibration instuctions and test patterns for adjusting your set for the best picture.

ChipFiev

Grip
Steve -

I've already got, and run through, the AVIA DVD. While that helped me get color and contrast right, I ended up doing some work with the convergence - my red gun was hugh and my blue gun was low. That made a big improvement. But, after doing the convergence, I think my guns might be a little out of focus, as the top right of my screen is not as sharp as the rest of the set. Has anyone improved their focus with this set?

Of course, any tips will be appreciated. This is my first RPTV, so I'm just a good ol' fashioned newbie. I think I know just enough to really do some damage. :)

Aaron Storvick

Auditioning
Chip, I have the service manual and Avia. Do you happen to have the steps for a manual convergence? However I don't think I'll have to adjust the geometry.

-Thank you !

sean_pecor

Stunt Coordinator
Aaron,

The service manual for the kp46-wt500 includes instructions for doing manual convergence through the service menu. Converging is actually adjusting the geometry :) Since you are moving r/g/b beams on a grid. If you're not paying attention, you can correct your convergence but at the same time booger up your geometry :D

By manual convergence, if you mean electrostatic convergence, then I'm not sure this is included in the service manual. However, if you join the http://groups.yahoo.com/sonyhdtv/ group, there is a file download called ws500tweaks.doc that documents this (with the usual caveats, like don't get yourself killed, when in doubt hire a pro, etc).

Sean.

Aaron Storvick

Auditioning
Thanks for the heads up Sean, I guess what I should have said, is not adjusting the scew, tilt....etc... I think I only need a minor adjustment mode with the grid.
Thanks for replying, your right though, when in doubt get an expert. Problem is is that I live in Mayberry, And Im sure there would be a lot of travel time involved.

ChipFiev

Grip
Aaron -

The document Sean is talking about did wonders for me. After manually converging my set, the quality I expected was there.

If you need this document, please let me know and I can email it to you.

Chip

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks