Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

deinterlacer

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   mike_p_t

mike_p_t

Agent

• 28 posts

Posted March 09 2003 - 08:13 AM

I have a Sony Dream System DAVC700 It is one of the older ones so it is not progressive scan. I have a Hitachi 53UWX10BA projection. It has a deinterlacer built in. I have read that if your TV has a built in deinterlacer, you don't need a progressive scan dvd player. I have also read that this is not true. Would I experience better picture qualtiy with a progressive scan?

If a progressive would give me better quality, I plan on using my current player as the receiver. It has a DTS decoder, Dolby Digital 5.1, Prologic, and Dolby Surround. It also has optical and coax in jacks. So if I get a progressive dvd player, it must have one of these. Does that dvd player have to the DTS, Dolby Digital etc. decoder out built in?

Can anyone recomend a pretty decent cheap progressive scan dvd player?

Thanks,
Mike

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh

Producer

• 5,183 posts

Posted March 10 2003 - 04:47 PM

Hi Mike. Welcome to HTF! Posted Image

You dont need a progressive scan DVD player if you have a HDTV.

But if you feed INTERLACE signals to that TV, it will:

- Have to digitize all the odd lines & even lines
- re-assemble them in progressive order
- try to fill in between the lines to up-convert to 720p or 1080
- convert them back to analog for display

You might notice little artifacts in the display caused by the TV trying to do all of this.

A progressive scan DVD player will reduce the need to buffer/re-interlace resulting in fewer artifacts.

A few years ago, you HAD to have a PS DVD player because the built-in line-doublers were so bad. They have gotten much better in the last few years so it's not as necessary.

Your next DVD player should be a progressive scan, but I would not buy a new player just for this if your TV is current generation.

For recommendations on specific models, go to the "Audio/Video Sources" fourm and you will find lots of "What DVD player should I get" postings. Read back a week or two before posting a repeat thread.

Enjoy your stay.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   mike_p_t

mike_p_t

Agent

• 28 posts

Posted March 10 2003 - 05:12 PM

Thanks for the info!
It's a pleasure to be here...

b.t.w., what do you mean by "current generation"?

Thanks again,
Mike

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Charles J P

Charles J P

Screenwriter

• 2,028 posts

Posted March 11 2003 - 03:37 AM

TVs pretty much come out with updated models every year, so if your TV is a 2002 or 2003 model, it probably has a good line doubler and you can just wait until new, better progressive scan DVD players (or ones with more features) come out, or until prices fall further.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh

Producer

• 5,183 posts

Posted March 11 2003 - 12:31 PM

What Charles said Posted Image