What's new

Which two of these four DVDs should I pick up? (1 Viewer)

John Randolph

Stunt Coordinator
I've never seen any of these 4 movies, but have been planning on picking them up. Now that Best Buy is having a sale, it makes it much easier.

Which two of these, in terms of the quality of the movie, and in terms of replay value should I get?:

True Romance
Unforgiven
The Color Purple
Citizen Kane

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
This might get moved to Software...
...but in terms of quality and replay value, I'd recommend "True Romance" (Special Edition).

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
I own all of those discs and their all just stellar discs...and its like pickin your favorite kid or somethin...amazing discs...but if I had to pick 2 I'd go for Citizen Kane and True Romance...

Seth_S

Second Unit
I'd put Citizen Kane on the top of that list. Superb film, very fine transfer (especially for being 60+ years old), 2 audio commentaries (one great, one good), and a great 2 hour PBS doc (few docs on DVD are this good - mostly because this one was produced for PBS). Lots of replay value all-around.

The rest are up to your personal tastes.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I have none of these discs but want all of them. I'd take Citizen Kane and Unforgiven because they're two damn incredible movies (with very good dvds).

True Romance was written by Quentin Tarrentino, so if you like his films you'll probably like it. Color Purple is a Spielberg film that's supposed to be damn good. Unforgiven's one of the best western's ever. and you probably know ABOUT Citizen Kane (considered greatest movie ever etc...)

Adam

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
The Color Purple is one of those films that i'd watch once every ten years, certainly not enough replay value for my collection.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Unforgiven and Citizen Kane are both in my top 20 (probably even top 10) all-time and both are quality DVD's, so those two are my reccomendations. True Romance is good, but I wouldn't put it on the same level as Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs, and I haven't seen The Color Purple.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
I'd definitely get Unforgiven, it has the best replay value of the four, in my opinion.

Citizen Kane would be the best film of the four, but I don't find myself watching it that often.

James Miranda

Auditioning
It always depends on what you like and what you want to purchase for. If you want one of the greatest movies of all time, then Citizen Kane has to be one of them.

The others you can take your pick of an award winning Steven Spielberg drama, a good Quentin Tarantino action flick or a western that is the antithesis of all previous Eastwood westerns. You just can lose.

My preference would be for Unforgiven and True Romance, because I love action flicks.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
I have the first version of Unforgiven. Is this the same? if not, what is the difference? Better transfer, added commentary, corrected aspect ratio?

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
The difference between the new and old Unforgiven is night and day. The transfer is miles better and the features are worth it alone. If your a fan of the movie it's a no-brainer to upgrade.

Tommy G

Screenwriter
I echo most everybody else. Go for Citizen Kane and Unforgiven. I'll be doing the Unforgiven/A Clockwork Orange deal from Best Buy.

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Get all 4! :)

If you don't like 2 of them...ebay em' or sell them here on the HTF...you shouldn't be out any $$$ if you do that either....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks