What's new

Directors GREAT Films you hate - The Draft (1 Viewer)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
This idea came to me during Steve's Worst Movie Draft. Judging by some of the films picked some people are itching to crank it up a notch so here's your chance.

I held off so I wouldn't take any of the steam out of that draft. Now that the pickings over there are almost done I think its a good time to start.

What is a GREAT film?
Any film thats critically acclaimed, Major Award winning or appears on a major Greatest film list (Sight & Sound, AFI, etc.)

I don't expect to get many takers as I think most people will shy away from expressing a dislike toward critically acclaimed films.

I'll shoot for at least 8 participants. If there's more interest we could go to 16.

LukeB
Dances With Wolves
A Clockwork Orange
Dr. Strangelove
Ran
North By Northwest
Manhattan
The Pianist
Silence of the Lambs
Airplane!
Easy Rider

Bill J
Gone with the Wind
Taxi Driver
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
Gladiator
Full Metal Jacket
Alien
The Matrix
The Usual Suspects

George Kaplan
Titanic
Do the Right Thing
Cries & Whispers
Jules & Jim
All About Eve
The Deer Hunter
Howard's End
Annie Hall
The Searchers
A Streetcar Named Desire

Justin_S
Star Wars
Bride of Frankenstein
Singin in the Rain
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Back to the Future
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Fantasia
Almost Famous
Young Frankenstein
Scream

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
You know I'm in (as long as we don't have to agree that these films actually are great :) ). As a matter of fact, I prefer to think of this as the 'critically acclaimed' films you hate draft.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Cool! :D

Here's the picking order so far. We need one more for a minimum of 8.

Jim K
LukeB
Dome Vongvises
Bill J
Brian Lawrence
George Kaplan
ErikG

Most everyone else is probably hiding under a rock right now so I doubt we'll get 16 participants. :laugh:

I'll leave this open til tomorrow just in case any more brave souls want to volunteer. :)

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Ain't touching this one with a ten-foot George Kaplan. But I will definitely chime in with some observations. :)

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Oooh, I stayed away from the Worst Movie Draft, knowing that I would get ticked off. I just now took a look at it and had to go take some blood pressure pills. This one would likely send me to the hospital. No thanks. :p)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Oooh, I stayed away from the Worst Movie Draft, knowing that I would get ticked off. I just now took a look at it and had to go take some blood pressure pills.
Any films in particular? Stop by and post some comments - I'd love to hear them! :)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Ok Justin makes 8.

Unless there's any objections I say we go 10 films.

My first pick is

Walkabout - gimmicky montages, tedious repetitive close-ups of nature, abandoned plot, no character development & a pretentious 70's eco message throughout. I've seen better student films. :thumbsdown:

next up

LukeB
Dome Vongvises
Bill J

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
I'll go with...

Dances With Wolves - the most melodramatic, drawn-out award-winning 'historical epic drama' with cut-out characters and a lame message that is better conveyed in an afterschool TV special. Easily the lowest of the 5 Best Picture nominees (yes, even Godfather III) from 1990, in my opinion.

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
I sat out for the same reasons as SteveGon, but if Justin hadn't stepped up, I might have done it. If you want to add another 8 names, chalk me up as a "maybe".

Definitely agree with Walkabout, haven't seen DWW.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
From Here to Eternity
- Contains quite possibly the most unintentionally dumbest two characters in the history of filmmaking. And yes, I do prefer Pearl Harbor. SO EAT IT YOU FILM SNOBS!!!

:p)

EDIT: Correction, two characters. ;)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

OK consider yourselves in if we get 6 more.

Wild-cards
Gabe D
ChuckDeLa

I can't believe there's that many HTFers afraid of this Draft. :D

chicken-shits! :p)

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
One question though, in case I do get in on this: are we allowed to draft movies we haven't watched all the way through? I don't usually force myself to watch a whole movie if it looks like it's going to be something I won't like. There's a couple I'd pick that I only sat through about 30-40 minutes of.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I'll leave that up to your best judgment.

I'd personally never trash a film if I haven't at least sat all the way through.

I've seen a lot of films that start off bad but redeem themselves halfway through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks