What's new

renting movies through the mail? (1 Viewer)

Mikey Ber

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't been able to do a search all day so...has anyone been renting dvds through the mail. Is it a good thing or should I just rent local.
Mike

Jerry Dreiss

Stunt Coordinator
Netflix rocks!
If you watch a lot of DVDs per month, and live fairly close to a distribution center, then Netflix is a great value.
Yes, you do loss the experience of wading through a crowded video store hoping to find a movie worth see, then standing in line to be rung up by a bored, surly clerk, but for that you can always go to the post office.

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
Mikey:

I've heard its a good thing as long as you watch more than a couple of DVDs a month. I don't actually USE the service, though, so I couldn't tell you for sure.

You'll have to decide if you'd end up saving more money by spending a flat $20 a month to rent movies or if you'd save more money by renting them at a store. If you're not very good at getting movies back on time (like me), and if you like keeping movies past the short due date, you'll probably want to rent movies online instead.

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
I love Netflix, don't think I will ever stop using them. I live close to a hub so my turn around time is quite fast (return on Monday and get new movies on Wednesday) With the amount of movies that I watch my rental costs are a little over a dollar a piece. I've been a member for about two and a half years and I think I have had 3, maybe 4 movies that didn't play.

Mikey Ber

Stunt Coordinator
I went to the site, you compile a list and they send you three at a time. Is this correct?

Yes, that's how it works. I find it's a great way to keep track of a movie you hear about so you don't forget about it. Every time I go to a rental place the names of every movie I want to see seems to evaporate out of my head. Never a problem with Netflix. I've been using Netflix for 2+ years and i love it. They have a great selection and are so convenient. I'm not sure what sort of movies you usually rent but they have a far more extensive selection of foreign and "art" type films than any chain rental place. I can't say enough good things about it. I never go to video stores now and I didn't realize how happy that made me until recently.

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
Mikey: That's correct.

You can rent out 3 movies at a time and keep them as long as you want, all for $20 a month. :)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
There were a lot of reports about discs "vanishing" while in the custody of the USPS. Has this been resolved? If not, what is the Netflix policy? They can't just keep writing off stolen discs, can they?

James Edward

Supporting Actor
Count me in as satisfied with Netflix. I originally joined because I was having surgery and would not be able to go to Hollywood Video for a while.
7 months later, I still have the service. They have just about any film that I have wanted, unlike the average store. I still get my new releases at Hollywood, but anything else comes through Netflix. It generally takes about 4 days from when I drop one in the mailbox to when the next one arrives.
I never 'lost' one in the mail, either. And only one out of 75 had arrived unplayable.
Selection and price are two great reasons to join. Never paying late fees... Even better. And did I say convenient? It seems like every other day another one arrives.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I'm moving this to the Retail Vendors Feedback section. There are a lot of threads there about Netflix and various other rent-by-mail companies such as RentMyDVD. I suggest reading them through if you want to get a range of reported experiences with these companies.

M.

Arman

Screenwriter
If you love watching great American classic and foreign films (if not, IMHO, you should start now :)) and want to see them in DVD which are mostly not available in Blockbuster, Netflix or Greencine.com are the way to go (right now, I'm trying to catch up and trying to watch as much as I can the films that I missed to see in the Sight & Sound, AFI & Ebert greatest films lists). I love both of them but I think Netflix rental plan is the cheapest. Netflix and Greencine seem to have the same of amount of titles to pick at. I'm also testing DVDovernight's services but they seem slower with their shipping services and they does not carry as many selections as netflix or greencine.

Browsing these great titles thru rent by mail is a much better way than buying blindly DVDs of recent released films that are mostly mediocre. I've been hooked and will not stop with this new "entertainment passion" of mine.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks