-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

renting movies through the mail?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 Mikey Ber

Mikey Ber

Stunt Coordinator

• 102 posts

Posted March 07 2003 - 08:33 AM

I haven't been able to do a search all day so...has anyone been renting dvds through the mail. Is it a good thing or should I just rent local.
Mike

#2 of 14 Jerry Dreiss

Jerry Dreiss

Stunt Coordinator

• 55 posts

Posted March 07 2003 - 09:02 AM

Netflix rocks!
If you watch a lot of DVDs per month, and live fairly close to a distribution center, then Netflix is a great value.
Yes, you do loss the experience of wading through a crowded video store hoping to find a movie worth see, then standing in line to be rung up by a bored, surly clerk, but for that you can always go to the post office.
A page for Zoids, the Coolest Toys Ever!

#3 of 14 Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor

• 563 posts

Posted March 07 2003 - 09:02 AM

Mikey:

I've heard its a good thing as long as you watch more than a couple of DVDs a month. I don't actually USE the service, though, so I couldn't tell you for sure.

You'll have to decide if you'd end up saving more money by spending a flat $20 a month to rent movies or if you'd save more money by renting them at a store. If you're not very good at getting movies back on time (like me), and if you like keeping movies past the short due date, you'll probably want to rent movies online instead.
My Collection
Webmaster, The iPod Store (currently under construction) & The iPod mini Store
My Home Theater Page

#4 of 14 Chris Moe

Chris Moe

Screenwriter

• 1,087 posts

Posted March 07 2003 - 09:23 AM

I love Netflix, don't think I will ever stop using them. I live close to a hub so my turn around time is quite fast (return on Monday and get new movies on Wednesday) With the amount of movies that I watch my rental costs are a little over a dollar a piece. I've been a member for about two and a half years and I think I have had 3, maybe 4 movies that didn't play.

#5 of 14 Mikey Ber

Mikey Ber

Stunt Coordinator

• 102 posts

Posted March 07 2003 - 09:40 AM

I went to the site, you compile a list and they send you three at a time. Is this correct?

#6 of 14 Todd Bennington

Todd Bennington

Agent

• 49 posts

Posted March 07 2003 - 10:00 AM

Yes, that's how it works. I find it's a great way to keep track of a movie you hear about so you don't forget about it. Every time I go to a rental place the names of every movie I want to see seems to evaporate out of my head. Never a problem with Netflix. I've been using Netflix for 2+ years and i love it. They have a great selection and are so convenient. I'm not sure what sort of movies you usually rent but they have a far more extensive selection of foreign and "art" type films than any chain rental place. I can't say enough good things about it. I never go to video stores now and I didn't realize how happy that made me until recently.

#7 of 14 Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor

• 563 posts

Posted March 07 2003 - 12:17 PM

Mikey: That's correct.

You can rent out 3 movies at a time and keep them as long as you want, all for $20 a month. Posted Image
My Collection
Webmaster, The iPod Store (currently under construction) & The iPod mini Store
My Home Theater Page

#8 of 14 Mikey Ber

Mikey Ber

Stunt Coordinator

• 102 posts

Posted March 07 2003 - 01:19 PM

thanks everyone.
Mike

#9 of 14 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,523 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted March 07 2003 - 02:09 PM

There were a lot of reports about discs "vanishing" while in the custody of the USPS. Has this been resolved? If not, what is the Netflix policy? They can't just keep writing off stolen discs, can they?
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#10 of 14 James Edward

James Edward

Supporting Actor

• 858 posts

Posted March 07 2003 - 02:49 PM

Count me in as satisfied with Netflix. I originally joined because I was having surgery and would not be able to go to Hollywood Video for a while.
7 months later, I still have the service. They have just about any film that I have wanted, unlike the average store. I still get my new releases at Hollywood, but anything else comes through Netflix. It generally takes about 4 days from when I drop one in the mailbox to when the next one arrives.
I never 'lost' one in the mail, either. And only one out of 75 had arrived unplayable.
Selection and price are two great reasons to join. Never paying late fees... Even better. And did I say convenient? It seems like every other day another one arrives.
Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.

#11 of 14 Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted March 07 2003 - 04:56 PM

I'm moving this to the Retail Vendors Feedback section. There are a lot of threads there about Netflix and various other rent-by-mail companies such as RentMyDVD. I suggest reading them through if you want to get a range of reported experiences with these companies.

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#12 of 14 Arman

Arman

Screenwriter

• 1,625 posts

Posted March 07 2003 - 05:49 PM

If you love watching great American classic and foreign films (if not, IMHO, you should start now Posted Image) and want to see them in DVD which are mostly not available in Blockbuster, Netflix or Greencine.com are the way to go (right now, I'm trying to catch up and trying to watch as much as I can the films that I missed to see in the Sight & Sound, AFI & Ebert greatest films lists). I love both of them but I think Netflix rental plan is the cheapest. Netflix and Greencine seem to have the same of amount of titles to pick at. I'm also testing DVDovernight's services but they seem slower with their shipping services and they does not carry as many selections as netflix or greencine.

Browsing these great titles thru rent by mail is a much better way than buying blindly DVDs of recent released films that are mostly mediocre. I've been hooked and will not stop with this new "entertainment passion" of mine.

#13 of 14 John^Lal

John^Lal

Stunt Coordinator

• 208 posts

Posted March 08 2003 - 05:32 AM

Netflix is the only way to go when renting movies.Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
My Top 20
My Bottom 20
My DVD Collection
S&S film club, seen 74, last one(s) Once Upon a Time in a America (A), Jules et Jim ©, A Bout de Souffle (B-)
"He'll Live"

#14 of 14 Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted March 08 2003 - 07:06 AM

Quote:
Netflix is the only way to go when renting movies.

Others have reported a different type of experience. Recent examples:

MERGED Netflix thread (formerly "Netflix" and "Bye Bye Netflix", etc.)

Dear NETFLIX...where are the Criterion and Anchor Bay titles?

Netflix---------Very long wait

I left Netflix almost two years ago, and you couldn't pay me to go back.

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists