Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Fox just sent me FUTURAMA.

I never heard of the show before, but it looks
like a Matt Groenig cartoon. In fact, the guy
on the front cover looks like a futuristic Homer
Simpson.

Can anyone tell me a bit about this show? Is this
something you would like to see reviewed here?

Jeremy_Watson

Stunt Coordinator
Futurama is one of my favorite shows of the past few years. It is, in fact, a Matt Groening cartoon which centers around a pizza deliver guy, Fry, who is accidentally frozen and woken up 1000 years in the future. The show centers around a space delivery company where some of the other employees are his best friend Bender, a robot, this ship's captain Leela, a cyclops, and the really old professor who runs the place. For much of its run I feel it was just as good as The Simpsons (although I'm sure I'll get bashed for that). I've seen most of the episodes, but would be very interested in the DVD treatment it was given.

Jeremy

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
This show was so badly mishandled by Fox one would have to conclude the network actively tried to kill it. Its regularly scheduled time slot was Sundays at 6 p.m. Central, but it consistently got preempted by football.

And yes, I'd love to see this reviewed. If you decide not to, though, Ron, I'd be happy to take it off your hands and write a review!

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
This is a brilliant show! Very fun! Cant wait for the disc! You should review is Ron...

Dominik Droscher

Supporting Actor
or much of its run I feel it was just as good as The Simpsons (although I'm sure I'll get bashed for that)
I would go as far as saying that it is even better than the Simpsons :). It is less sarcastic and therefore the characters are more honest which makes them a lot more likeable.

It is a shame that Fox never gave the show a chance, preempting it again and again. Since November we had only 6 episodes, most of them remains from earlier seasons, that found no timeslot.

The DVDs are fantastic (I already own R2 Seasons 1 and 2) with commentary tracks on every single episode which emphasizes the love and energy everyone of the creators, may it be the producers, the animators, the writers or the cast puts into the show. If you review the discs, make sure to listen to one or two, they are almost as funny as the episodes itself.

Brent Hutto

Supporting Actor
I hate to admit it, but episode for episode the latest Futurama's are funnier than the lastest Simpsons. The first season, which is on the DVD you have, was good but at the time tended to suffer a bit in comparison to The Simpsons which IMO were of more consistently high quality then than they are now.

Fox only showed about half of last season's Futurama episode so rather than buying more, they are just parcelling out the remainder over the course of this season. I can't wait to get the DVD.

AaronJB

Second Unit
The show is usually very enjoyable, but when it's at its best, it's brilliant. Even the "worst" episodes get a few chuckles.

Bernhard

Stunt Coordinator
This is my favorite TV show of all time, I really dig it's humor. Many, many subtle and not so subtle references to our current society make this one great experience.

Review it or not, just watch it! You wont regret it. :)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Great show Ron, I prefer it to the Simpsons, and have already bought the box sets over here in R2 Land, with commentaries, deleted scenes etc etc. Futurama is much more inventive and consistently funny than the Simpsons have been recently, sadly I think only about 75 episodes were made, are they making more? Not sure.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Go for it. Any Simpsons fan should at least give Futurama a chance. The humor is not quite as broad as that in The Simpsons, but as some have pointed out, it's actually funnier than that show's last few seasons.

As for me, I love it. I'll definitely be picking it up. I think you'd really like it if you give it a look, Ron. :emoji_thumbsup:

James Reader

Screenwriter
I'll just add that like most shows, it takes a few episodes until the creators really get on a roll. Don't be put off by the only slightly above average nature of some of the earlier episodes. But some of the later episodes in the first season set are wonderful (and season 2 is even better)

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
sorry to dissent... :)

The humor is far less clever and more toilet-oriented than The Simpsons and the set-ups are obvious to a fault.

It may be better than the current episodes of The Simpsons... but seriously... what isn't?

Debbie E

Stunt Coordinator
A big resounding YES to a review. I'm buying it no matter what but I enjoy reading your reviews :)

Chris Brunner

Second Unit
Futurama especially funny to fans of sci-fi. Lots of references to sci-fi movies and TV shows of past and present.

"CYLON and Garfunkel"... :laugh:

C

Scott Sherman

Auditioning
I'd like to add my name to the list of people who would like to see you review this set Ron. I'm very much looking forward to getting this show on DVD. As funny as it is, I'm often surprised at just how much heart the show has. Definitely worth your time. Based on the many reviews of yours I've read, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

AndrewA

Stunt Coordinator
I'd like to add another voice to request for a review. I've enjoyed this show since the first episode, I feel that some of the best 1/2 hour program writing is done by the writers of Futurama.

Been waiting for the release of this set (more so than the Simpson's) and would like to know the quality of the this release.

Hank_P

Second Unit
I to will be picking this up. I would love to see a review, and your thoughts on the show. Coming from Matt, it's humor is about the same, either you get the joke or it runs right by you. I have really enjoyed the show and looking forward to the DVD release.

Dominik Droscher

Supporting Actor
When Donovan started singing the song about the "Lost City of Atlanta" in the episode Deep South I simply lost it. "Hail Atlanta". :laugh:

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
It one of my favorite shows on the air...when it on. :D Do review it Ron, you will grow to love Fry, Bender, and the crew.

Adam Horak

Stunt Coordinator
Please review it Ron. One of my favorite shows to ever hit the air. Brilliant, just brilliant. I will be buying the sets no matter what, but I would love a little sneak peek at how well they are done.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks