Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

So....tell me about FUTURAMA

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
55 replies to this topic

#1 of 56 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,246 posts

Posted March 06 2003 - 08:47 PM

Fox just sent me FUTURAMA.

I never heard of the show before, but it looks
like a Matt Groenig cartoon. In fact, the guy
on the front cover looks like a futuristic Homer
Simpson.

Can anyone tell me a bit about this show? Is this
something you would like to see reviewed here?

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 56 OFFLINE   Jeremy_Watson

Jeremy_Watson

Stunt Coordinator

• 249 posts

Posted March 06 2003 - 09:00 PM

Futurama is one of my favorite shows of the past few years. It is, in fact, a Matt Groening cartoon which centers around a pizza deliver guy, Fry, who is accidentally frozen and woken up 1000 years in the future. The show centers around a space delivery company where some of the other employees are his best friend Bender, a robot, this ship's captain Leela, a cyclops, and the really old professor who runs the place. For much of its run I feel it was just as good as The Simpsons (although I'm sure I'll get bashed for that). I've seen most of the episodes, but would be very interested in the DVD treatment it was given.

Jeremy

#3 of 56 OFFLINE   Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor

• 788 posts

Posted March 06 2003 - 09:11 PM

This show was so badly mishandled by Fox one would have to conclude the network actively tried to kill it. Its regularly scheduled time slot was Sundays at 6 p.m. Central, but it consistently got preempted by football.

And yes, I'd love to see this reviewed. If you decide not to, though, Ron, I'd be happy to take it off your hands and write a review!

#4 of 56 OFFLINE   Joshua_Y

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter

• 1,241 posts

Posted March 06 2003 - 09:53 PM

This is a brilliant show! Very fun! Cant wait for the disc! You should review is Ron...

#5 of 56 OFFLINE   Dominik Droscher

Dominik Droscher

Supporting Actor

• 532 posts

Posted March 06 2003 - 10:05 PM

Quote:
or much of its run I feel it was just as good as The Simpsons (although I'm sure I'll get bashed for that)

I would go as far as saying that it is even better than the Simpsons Posted Image. It is less sarcastic and therefore the characters are more honest which makes them a lot more likeable.

It is a shame that Fox never gave the show a chance, preempting it again and again. Since November we had only 6 episodes, most of them remains from earlier seasons, that found no timeslot.

The DVDs are fantastic (I already own R2 Seasons 1 and 2) with commentary tracks on every single episode which emphasizes the love and energy everyone of the creators, may it be the producers, the animators, the writers or the cast puts into the show. If you review the discs, make sure to listen to one or two, they are almost as funny as the episodes itself.

#6 of 56 OFFLINE   Brent Hutto

Brent Hutto

Supporting Actor

• 532 posts

Posted March 06 2003 - 10:12 PM

I hate to admit it, but episode for episode the latest Futurama's are funnier than the lastest Simpsons. The first season, which is on the DVD you have, was good but at the time tended to suffer a bit in comparison to The Simpsons which IMO were of more consistently high quality then than they are now.

Fox only showed about half of last season's Futurama episode so rather than buying more, they are just parcelling out the remainder over the course of this season. I can't wait to get the DVD.

#7 of 56 OFFLINE   AaronJB

AaronJB

Second Unit

• 461 posts

Posted March 06 2003 - 11:19 PM

The show is usually very enjoyable, but when it's at its best, it's brilliant. Even the "worst" episodes get a few chuckles.
Aaron
Webmaster,A Guide To Current DVD
http://www.currentfi...m/dvdindex.html

#8 of 56 OFFLINE   Bernhard

Bernhard

Stunt Coordinator

• 193 posts

Posted March 06 2003 - 11:45 PM

This is my favorite TV show of all time, I really dig it's humor. Many, many subtle and not so subtle references to our current society make this one great experience.

Review it or not, just watch it! You wont regret it. Posted Image
My current DVD Collection

Mace Windu: "Do you know what they call a quarter pounder with cheese on Coruscant?"

#9 of 56 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,392 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted March 07 2003 - 12:39 AM

Great show Ron, I prefer it to the Simpsons, and have already bought the box sets over here in R2 Land, with commentaries, deleted scenes etc etc. Futurama is much more inventive and consistently funny than the Simpsons have been recently, sadly I think only about 75 episodes were made, are they making more? Not sure.

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#10 of 56 OFFLINE   Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,536 posts

Posted March 07 2003 - 12:40 AM

Go for it. Any Simpsons fan should at least give Futurama a chance. The humor is not quite as broad as that in The Simpsons, but as some have pointed out, it's actually funnier than that show's last few seasons.

As for me, I love it. I'll definitely be picking it up. I think you'd really like it if you give it a look, Ron. Posted Image
"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

#11 of 56 OFFLINE   James Reader

James Reader

Screenwriter

• 1,465 posts

Posted March 07 2003 - 12:45 AM

I'll just add that like most shows, it takes a few episodes until the creators really get on a roll. Don't be put off by the only slightly above average nature of some of the earlier episodes. But some of the later episodes in the first season set are wonderful (and season 2 is even better)
"Would you recommend this movie to a friend?"
"Only if I was friendly with Hitler."

#12 of 56 OFFLINE   soop.spoon

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor

• 760 posts

Posted March 07 2003 - 01:10 AM

sorry to dissent... Posted Image

The humor is far less clever and more toilet-oriented than The Simpsons and the set-ups are obvious to a fault.

It may be better than the current episodes of The Simpsons... but seriously... what isn't?

#13 of 56 OFFLINE   Debbie E

Debbie E

Stunt Coordinator

• 82 posts

Posted March 07 2003 - 01:18 AM

A big resounding YES to a review. I'm buying it no matter what but I enjoy reading your reviews Posted Image

#14 of 56 OFFLINE   Chris Brunner

Chris Brunner

Second Unit

• 441 posts

Posted March 07 2003 - 01:18 AM

Futurama especially funny to fans of sci-fi. Lots of references to sci-fi movies and TV shows of past and present.

"CYLON and Garfunkel"... Posted Image

C

#15 of 56 OFFLINE   Scott Sherman

Scott Sherman

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted March 07 2003 - 01:31 AM

I'd like to add my name to the list of people who would like to see you review this set Ron. I'm very much looking forward to getting this show on DVD. As funny as it is, I'm often surprised at just how much heart the show has. Definitely worth your time. Based on the many reviews of yours I've read, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

#16 of 56 OFFLINE   AndrewA

AndrewA

Stunt Coordinator

• 59 posts

Posted March 07 2003 - 01:33 AM

I'd like to add another voice to request for a review. I've enjoyed this show since the first episode, I feel that some of the best 1/2 hour program writing is done by the writers of Futurama.

Been waiting for the release of this set (more so than the Simpson's) and would like to know the quality of the this release.

#17 of 56 OFFLINE   Hank_P

Hank_P

Second Unit

• 280 posts

Posted March 07 2003 - 01:35 AM

I to will be picking this up. I would love to see a review, and your thoughts on the show. Coming from Matt, it's humor is about the same, either you get the joke or it runs right by you. I have really enjoyed the show and looking forward to the DVD release.

#18 of 56 OFFLINE   Dominik Droscher

Dominik Droscher

Supporting Actor

• 532 posts

Posted March 07 2003 - 01:41 AM

When Donovan started singing the song about the "Lost City of Atlanta" in the episode Deep South I simply lost it. "Hail Atlanta". Posted Image

#19 of 56 OFFLINE   Kenneth Cummings

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor

• 852 posts

Posted March 07 2003 - 02:56 AM

It one of my favorite shows on the air...when it on. Posted Image Do review it Ron, you will grow to love Fry, Bender, and the crew.
I need a new signature.

#20 of 56 OFFLINE   Adam Horak

Adam Horak

Stunt Coordinator

• 123 posts

Posted March 07 2003 - 03:11 AM

Please review it Ron. One of my favorite shows to ever hit the air. Brilliant, just brilliant. I will be buying the sets no matter what, but I would love a little sneak peek at how well they are done.