What's new

CHRONICLES OF NARNIA (retitled thread) (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
http://www.narnia.com/

Wonder how they're going to screw this one up, hopefully the Harry Potter route will be taken, the books are plenty short and trim to allow tight scripting and LOTR has proven the technology exists so that technology is no hurdle.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I'm eager to see how these films are done. Lets hope that they find people who are fans of the film (not unlike LOTR) and know the books well.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
you know, i just love it when someone tries to share information and the only reply someone can give is "hey man, that's old news!" :rolleyes

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
This will be the third attempt at adapting this story. There's was a crappy animated version and a live BBC version that suffered from severe budget depravation. Hopefully, this will turn out better, btu I somehow doubt it. It seems like the kind of story that in its original form wouldn't be a big enough draw to justify the kind of budget it would take to do it right.

Mike Hutman

Supporting Actor
I picked up The Chronicles of Narnia BBC version the other day. I only had the chance to watch The Loin, The Witch, and The Wardrobe. It is really under budget, but it isn't that bad. I really enjoyed watching the movie, and can't wait to view the rest of The Chronicles.

I would LOVE to see them made with a real budget though.

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
So is "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe" the first book in this series? What about "The Magician's Nephew", is that sort of a prequel, like the Hobbit is to LotR?

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Artur, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is the first book int he series, but the books don't go in chronological order. IIRC, C.S. Lewis recommended readign them in the order they were published, not the order they happen. The series is as follows:
  1. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
  2. Prince Caspian
  3. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
  4. The Silver Chair
  5. A Horse and His Boy
  6. The Magician's Nephew
  7. The Last Battle[/list=1]

However, the official site and the current edition of the boxset have rearranged them into chronological order, which is as follows:
    1. The Magician's Nephew
    2. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
    3. A Horse and His Boy
    4. Prince Caspian
    5. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
    6. The Silver Chair
    7. The Last Battle[/list=1]

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Dan is correct. The first four (published) follow a definite sequence. The Horse and His Boy takes place during The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, and The Magician's Nephew takes place before all of them, as it is about the creation of Narnia. The Last Battle is... well, last ;)

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe was really intended as the introduction to the world, so that's really the best place to start. I guess you could say that Magician's Nephew is, in fact, a prequel.

I'll reserve judgment until I see the movie. If handled with respect for the source, and given an appropriate budget, it could work very well. We'll see, I suppose.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
So is "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe" the first book in this series? What about "The Magician's Nephew", is that sort of a prequel, like the Hobbit is to LotR?
Technically, yes, but I think they should be read in the original order, not in the reordered fashion that they are doing now.

Jason

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
Watch them drain out all the Christian allegory in order to make it more "accessible" or "non-offensive". :rolleyes

Seriously though, I am hopeful but have extremely low expectations. I'm a huge Friend of Narnia (but let's face it, Susan got screwed!!), and want to see these stories adequately and successfully translated to the big screen. But for some reason, I don't think they would make good movies, unless you had one hell of a screenwriter and a director with vision and passion for the project like Jackson had for LOTR.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Watch them drain out all the Christian allegory in order to make it more "accessible" or "non-offensive".
Frankly most of the people who would rip it out for the sake of ripping it out aren't smart enough to notice it. It's thinly veiled, but thick enough to avoid suit detection :)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I don't remember much from the last book, but didn't one of the kids turn out to be a bitch when she grew up. I remember the other three kids loving Narnia. That always bothered me for some reason. :)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I'm not as optomistic as Jeff and others, I think the studios will order they be non offensive (ie free of christian overtones or undertones) and pull out the REALLY obvious stuff. So I fully expect to see a Lion Witch and Wardrobe where Aslan isn't killed and then returns to life

I expect they'll never make the Last Battle into a movie, that one got really blatent.

I love these books, and hate to think of how they'll probably be evisorated by the scriptwriting machine the studios force on almost all big budget pictures. So when a blob of something different comes along...

Adam

Brenton

Screenwriter
Actually, The Hobbit isn't a prequel to LOTR, it's a prelude. It was published years before LOTR.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Dome, that was Susan

Yeah, I can definately see the Last Battle being a major problem, most of the other books are fairly secular in nature for the most part, but hopefully they'll just say 'screw it" and go full-bore. After all, these are classics and not some new story

Joel Walker

Stunt Coordinator
The movie about the life of C. S. Lewis is called "Shadowlands". It does indeed star Sir Anthony and is available on dvd.

It is incredibly touching and one of my favorite films. I find it sad and deep yet hopeful and redeeming. It has an honesty and integrity of emotion that is almost difficult to watch as it confronts the issues of pride, loss and anger, the cruel treatment of finally understanding your own naive words, and the cost of true love.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks