-

Photo
- - - - -

The Stand-Stephen King

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
67 replies to this topic

#1 of 68 OFFLINE   Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk

Screenwriter

• 2,833 posts

Posted March 05 2003 - 04:31 PM

Whenever I drop by to have a brief visit with the parents, I usually grab a book.

My father has such an enormous book collection that it's always hard to find one.

I've heard good things on The Stand, any opinions?

#2 of 68 OFFLINE   Evan S

Evan S

Screenwriter

• 2,211 posts

Posted March 05 2003 - 04:41 PM

In my opinion, this book is tied with "It" for King's best work. It's one of the ten best books I have ever read, probably in the top 5. Once you pick it up, you will NOT put it down. It's simply awesome.Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
searching for that elusive, "perfect" sound.

#3 of 68 OFFLINE   Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter

• 1,541 posts

Posted March 05 2003 - 04:54 PM

Evan, what type of book is it? Is it a thriller, a horror, other? I've never read a Stephen King book so I'm not sure if they're all horror. Thanks!
God bless!
jeffrey noel

As we slide down the banister of life, may the splinters never point the wrong way.

#4 of 68 OFFLINE   Chris Knox

Chris Knox

Stunt Coordinator

• 156 posts

Posted March 05 2003 - 08:05 PM

The Stand, It, and the Shining are my three desert Island books. The stand is not what I would call a horror book at all, at least not in the way that It and The Shining are. I have read all three of these too many times to count. I cannot recommend them highly enough.

As large a book as The Stand is, you will absolutely hate it when it is all over. King has stated many times that he still has peaople asking about those characters in particular from that book, as if he gets letters from them from time to time.

I know Larry Underwood, Franie Goldsmith, Stu Redman and most all of the other characters intimately and I cannot remember a time when they were not apart of my life.

My favorite parts in IT were Mike's Interludes. Flawless!

The Shining! Read this alone in your house at night with the lights out and nothing but a candle if you have the cajones. I don't. When Kubrik was looking for his next project he would lock himself in his office and his secretary got used to the loud thumps that came almost rythmically from books he was throwing against the wall. One day they stopped and she went looking in on him because she thought he may have had a heart attack. He was holding the Shining. "This is it." Unfortunately he didn't do the book justice (as so frequently happens when a director trys to make a King book into a movie. Only one person has been wildly successful at that and we all know who that is!)

It isn't how King writes about the supernatural that make him the best. It's how he writes the natural. Characters so real you think you grew up with them. Some times the setup can be a little slow, but the payoffs are more than worth it.

Read The Stand, then read the others. Welcome to the greatest (IMHO) writing of all time and introducing the most successful writer of all time (not an opinion).

Enjoy!

Chris
"Well, I guess I must have missed the part in the Old Testament where it states, 'Verily I say unto thee... despair not over the bones in the ground, for I have placed them in just the right manner to simulate nonexistant eons. Likewise, woe be unto anyone who searches the firmament for signs...

#5 of 68 OFFLINE   Joshua_Y

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter

• 1,241 posts

Posted March 05 2003 - 11:17 PM

The Stand is and always will be one of my absolutely favorite books...since were on King...give Hearts in Atlantis a read...I love that one...and of course Shining, It, and Carrie...

#6 of 68 OFFLINE   Michael Pineo

Michael Pineo

Stunt Coordinator

• 138 posts

Posted March 05 2003 - 11:42 PM

I don't have much to add, except to agree with everyone here. The Stand is my favorite book af all time. I have lost count of the number of times I have read it. It contains the greatest character development I have ever read (with IT being a close second). I definitely would not call it horror. It is more of a good against evil story on a grand scale, with a diverse array of incredible characters. If you have the time to sit down and read it, I would definitely recommend it.

MikeP

#7 of 68 OFFLINE   Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor

• 654 posts

Posted March 06 2003 - 12:49 AM

I've only read the original short version of 'The Stand', though I have the extended one sitting on the shelf. Pick it up, you'll like it.
Heads I win, tails you lose.

#8 of 68 OFFLINE   dave_brogli

dave_brogli

Screenwriter

• 1,022 posts

Posted March 06 2003 - 01:09 AM

I read the stand when I was 15. The big version uncut or whatever..... and it was great. One of the best books I have ever invested my time reading.
READ IT!!!!

#9 of 68 OFFLINE   Dave Morton

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor

• 754 posts

Posted March 06 2003 - 01:15 AM

The Stand is one of those books that gave me nightmares. Loved it! Thought it was pretty creepy. Same with the Talisman, although many people don't care too much for this book. I thought it was good.
------ Dave ------
------------------
MY HT

New Family Addition

#10 of 68 OFFLINE   Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas

Screenwriter

• 2,044 posts

Posted March 06 2003 - 02:34 AM

Definitely read the extended version. I love that book. It is definitely one of his best works.

For some others of his that are really good, and not quite horror, check out the Bachman books. Rage is great, its one of my favorite King stories, The Long Walk, The Running Man and Roadwork are all really good too. Those four are all in one collection.

#11 of 68 OFFLINE   Dave Smith

Dave Smith

Stunt Coordinator

• 183 posts

Posted March 06 2003 - 02:34 AM

Just to agree with everyone here, The Stand is one of my favourite King stories, up there with IT, Salem's Lot and The Mist.

I just re-read it actually, and while it's a long book you'll fly through it as it's so hard to put down!

#12 of 68 OFFLINE   Evan S

Evan S

Screenwriter

• 2,211 posts

Posted March 06 2003 - 02:43 AM

Quote:
Same with the Talisman, although many people don't care too much for this book. I thought it was good.

I too liked the Talisman, thought it was great...just a shade behind King's upper echelon.

Quote:
Evan, what type of book is it? Is it a thriller, a horror, other? I've never read a Stephen King book so I'm not sure if they're all horror. Thanks!

This is a HUGE misconception about King's work...that it is all horror. This is SO NOT the case. King has a very broad subject matter. Sure, some of his most famous work is horror (Carrie, Salem's Lot, The Shining), but his Gunslinger novels are epics, and he has even written some books about love and relationships. His short stories (4 Past Midnight) are outstanding. He's truly a very diverse writer and should be given more of a chance by non King fans. I think they will be surprised.

As for the Stand, it is not a horror book. It is a futuristic fantasy about good vs. evil. It takes place in a world inflicted by plague unleashed by a mistake in a US governmental lab. Only a few survive. How these few remaining survivors congregate and resettle civilization and the ensuing conflict that occurs is the basis of the story. Character development in this book is phenomental and even though it is extremely long, nothing in the book seems superfluous. Everything is there for a reason and you really are tied into the characters because of this writing style. A well deserved classic.

searching for that elusive, "perfect" sound.

#13 of 68 OFFLINE   Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter

• 1,313 posts

Posted March 06 2003 - 05:27 AM

Definitely get the extended version. It will have you reading for weeks (even though I finished it in 5 days, but that was back in college when sleep was an option).

I thought the movie was ok, especially considering the breadth of material they had to cram in. The book has great detail and really fleshes out the characters, especially their weaknesses.

#14 of 68 OFFLINE   Jed M

Jed M

Screenwriter

• 2,030 posts

Posted March 06 2003 - 06:36 AM

My favorite non horror stories of King's are The Stand, The Gunslinger series, and Eyes of the Dragon. His best horror book in my opinion is The Shining, I used to love the movie until I read the book. Like someone mentioned before, his short stories are excellent and have spawned some of his best movies such as Stand By Me, Silver Bullet, Apt Pupil, Children Of The Corn, and the amazing Shawshank Redemption (which I will admit is much better as a movie due to the revenge factor).
Long you live and high you fly
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry
And all you touch and all you see
Is all your life will ever be.
-R. Waters

#15 of 68 OFFLINE   Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted March 06 2003 - 06:54 AM

Just joining the chorus of praise for my favorite living author (my dead fav is Tolkien Posted Image ).

While IT is my personal favorite, the Stand is generally considered his best - not for me, there are no children in it Posted Image. Seriously, does anyone write children like King?

The Mini series of both books are decent...

Although I still have a lot to read from the master, his creepiest book so far is Pet Sematary. That book is just evil.

Rose Madder is his only not so good book that I read.

Pick up the Stand, and prepare for the ultimate battle of good vs evil!

--
Holadem

#16 of 68 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,686 posts

Posted March 06 2003 - 07:50 AM

A common misconception (no doubt due to early film/TV adaptations of his work) is that King is writes pure horror. Nothing could be further from the truth. While his stories have varying degrees of "horror" elements, I honestly think he is a much more talented writer than people give him credit for.

As far as The Stand, I don't think you'll have to worry about buying "the extended" edition as that is all that's for sale right now (unless you go to some rare bookseller and stumble across an old, original, abridged copy). I will echo that it is one of his best works (although not my personal favorite) with great character development and an excellent plot to boot!

My personal faves from Mr. King:
1. The Dark Tower series (can't wait for 4-7!)
2. The Talisman (with a very adult-oriented sequel in Black House)
3. Different Seasons (which spawned (Rita Hayworth and) The Shawshank Redemption, Apt Pupil & (The Body)=>Stand By Me)
4. The Green Mile
5. The Stand

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#17 of 68 OFFLINE   Alex-C

Alex-C

Screenwriter

• 1,240 posts

Posted March 06 2003 - 07:57 AM

count me in as another huge fan of The Stand

Its a really worthwhile read. Definitely one of my favorite books of all time.
A new life awaits you in the off-world colonies, the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure.

Let's Go . . . To the colonies !

#18 of 68 OFFLINE   Marshall Alsup

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit

• 497 posts

Posted March 06 2003 - 08:20 AM

I just finished The Stand about a month ago. I've only read a couple of SK books, and The Stand was far better than those. I thought it was an excellent book. After I finished I bought the DVD so I could see how the mini-series compared. Its pretty good, definalty see it after you read the book.

-Marshall
Well thats just...like...your opinion man

flickr

#19 of 68 OFFLINE   Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas

Screenwriter

• 2,044 posts

Posted March 06 2003 - 08:27 AM

Carlo, I just King's site and apparently the fourth gunslinger book is out already and the fifth is due this coming November with six and seven coming in 2004. See here for info. I actually haven't read anything by him for several years now, I'm glad to see there'll be some more work on the Gunslinger soon. I'll have to get back into that. He's rewriting the first to fit more with the others.

#20 of 68 OFFLINE   Christopher P

Christopher P

Supporting Actor

• 564 posts

Posted March 06 2003 - 10:43 AM

When I recommend people to King, I usually start them out with something like "Pet Sematary" "Christine," or "The Shining," instead of "It" or "The Stand" due their sheer size. I don't think "The Stand" is necessarily his best book, but it has the greatest cast of any book, those characters are so alive, it truly makes the story believable, and thus all the more haunting.

Seriously, does anyone write children like King?
Absolutely not. I have a hard time with many books/TV shows that feature kids, as their dialogue is written by adults, it sounds so unrealistic. I've never thought that wih King, it's amazing his ability to capture the fears, the wonderment, the humanity of children.

My favorite parts in IT were Mike's Interludes. Flawless!
Me too! Those stories are so well-told, like Mike Hanlon was telling you a story by the fireside. Many tims I wil pick up "It" just to read one of the interludes.

God I could talk about King forever..better stop.

Chris

Forum Nav Content I Follow