What's new

The Limbless Wonder Returns - A Big RAYMAN 3 HOODLUM HAVOC Thread (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
I picked this one up earlier today on my way to work. Sadly, I have not had a chance to play it yet. I will have my first chance to try it out in a couple of hours and I can't wait! I'm a complete Rayman fanatic who is hoping that Ubi Soft makes us all proud. Naturally, I will get back to you all once I've had a couple of hours of play time to form my first impressions.

And before anyone asks, I can't find any information on the box saying whether or not the game is in Progressive Scan. To say that this disappoints me is a bit of an understatement. I'm hoping that this is merely an oversight by the packaging committee like with Splinter Cell on the Xbox. I'll confirm 480p support once I get home.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
I'll confirm 480p support once I get home.
Thank you! This has been a burning question for me in deciding whether or not to wait a couple weeks for the Xbox version.

I wouldn't get turned off by any mixed reviews. A lot of people just hate the Rayman character and wouldn't score the game highly even if they opened the box and Jesus popped out.

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Originally posted by JamesH:
Thank you! This has been a burning question for me in deciding whether or not to wait a couple weeks for the Xbox version.
Wait for the Xbox version. The game does not support 480p as I had hoped. However, the game does sport a 16:9 mode.

I'm also willing to bet that the Xbox version will sound better too. The Pro-Logic II sound in the GCN version is good, but I can tell that the voices have been compressed along with some of the music. I can also see some compression artifacts in some of the FMV movies at the start of the game. The extra storage space on an XBox disc will surely fix these problems. I'm quite certain now that I will be returning this game in favor of the Xbox version.

The good news is, the game plays wonderfully! If you liked Rayman 2, I suspect that you will enjoy Hoodlum Havoc as well. It feels very much the same. The camera may be a bit unwieldy for some, but I'm willing to live with it.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
Wait for the Xbox version. The game does not support 480p as I had hoped.
Those bastards! This is actually pretty suprising since I've been generally impressed with UBI lately.

Waiting two weeks for progressive scan and better textures. My how things have changed since the days of SNESs clad with RF adaptors.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
The Dreamcast version of 2 was worth waiting for (and was 16:9 480p), so I have no problem waiting for the best version of 3.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
*sigh*

Just enjoy the game and stop stressing over 5.1 and 480p.

Will it ever end?

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Just enjoy the game and stop stressing over 5.1 and 480p.
I think the people who are stressed are the ones who have to play a game so soon that they can't wait two weeks for the one that uses the features of their Home Theater. :)

480i doesn't cut it when 480p is available.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
Exactly. If Rayman 3 is anywhere near as good as Rayman 2, it's going to be a game I play through several times in the next few years.

Should I wait 2 weeks and get the version I'll be happy with? Or should I buy it now on impulse, and for the next few years, put up with the fact that it looks like ass due to my TV having to deinterlace it?

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
So is Rayman 3 a fully cross-platform title? Or just GCN and Xbox?

I really loved the DC version of Rayman 2 (and have the free Tshirt with the DC logo to prove it, hehe). One of the points mentioned in the review is that the levels in Rayman 3 are relatively smaller, and there is more of a puzzle emphasis. As I am a huge fan of the exploration/platform aspects of Rayman 2, this is somewhat of a disappointment.

The game has also been made somewhat 'hipper' and slightly more edgy than the really straightforward, magical quality of part 2. I realize I'm in the minority here, but that comes as a blow to me as well.

I look forward to hearing some of your impressions.

~j

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Should I wait 2 weeks and get the version I'll be happy with? Or should I buy it now on impulse, and for the next few years, put up with the fact that it looks like ass due to my TV having to deinterlace it?
Better yet, wait 4 years for it to be released on Xbox Next, and it will look even better! Or wait 10 years for PS4! You won't be happy until then!

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, that's an order-of-magnitude thing. Given that all three or four editions of Rayman 3 will come out at about the same time at about the same price, doesn't it make sense to go for the one that will look/sound the most impressive on your equipment? Sure, "looking like ass" is probably something of an exaggeration, but let's not pretend that the technical specifications don't matter.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
True, true. I'll go back in my hole. It just seems people like to talk more about 480p and 5.1 than gameplay.

So my question is this:

How is the game?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
It should be mentioned the GameCube version has an unlockable section that you need the GBA game for.

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Originally posted by JoshF:
How is the game?
So far, so good. The biggest surprise for me is the amount of combat in this game. Whereas Rayman 2 featured a sparse number of enemies here and there on levels, you will do battle with many bad guys in Hoodlum Havoc.

Fear not, for Rayman's fighting techniques have evolved to allow for more interesting combat. Particularly, the ability the "curve" your punches adds an element of strategy not seen previously. When you target an enemy, you can lock on to that character, just as you could in Rayman 2. As such, you will strafe around that enemy if you move to the left or right. In the last game, Rayman could wind up his punches to hit harder, but he could only shoot them straight out. In this game, when Rayman punches while strafing left or right, his fist will curve outward and around the enemy, hitting him from the side or even from behind. This works well for baddies with Shields.

Another new move is the ability to roll out of the way of blaster fire. Believe me, when you have two or three guys shooting at you at the same time, this move will come in handy.

There are also a number of power-ups you can find throughout the game that give Rayman new abilities for a short period of time. For instance, one power-up increases the power of your fists so that you can knock down wooden doors. Another turns your fist into a controllable rocket for killing enemies from afar.

The levels look wonderful (even in 480i, though they will most certainly glimmer like pearls in 480p) and are well-designed. So far, I have not noticed as much variety in the levels as in the previous game. Keep in mind that this is only after a few hours of play time. It's entirely possible that the seriously whacked out levels will come later. I'll keep everyone posted.

BrandonJF

Second Unit
Has anyone actually confirmed that the XBOX version will definitely support 480p? I know there was a time when that was just assumed, but there is always the rare title that slips through without progressive support (most recently and disturbingly - Kung Fu Chaos).

I'm almost leaning towards the GC version because I was planning on getting the GBA version as well. But, if the XBOX definitely supports 480p, I might have to trade the extra GBA levels for that.

My only other concern is that the GC version was handled by a different team who worked solely on the GC version while the team that worked on the XBOX version also worked on the PS2 and PC versions simultaneously. That may mean nothing - I just got a Need for Speed 2 : Hot Pursuit flashback when I saw that.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
The only info I've seen on the differences between versions is that the GC has minigames, while the Xbox has better textures. I'm not likely to spend much time with a minigame unless it's something really good like Xenocard, so I'm going with the one that provides the more impressive playthrough.

I'm pretty sure it will have progressive scan, as the other UBI games on the Xbox did. Does anyone know if Ghost Recon on the Cube supports progressive?

I'm slightly bummed. More puzzle elements and combat? I thought the best parts of Rayman 2 were the frantic platforming sections. Nothing like traversing falling platforms while an airship shoots at you.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
And bleh to the "hipness" as well. For some reason, the style in Rayman 1 and 2 just made me happy when I played them. I doubt this new game will equal Rayman 2, which I'd place in my top 5 of all time, but I imagine it will still be the best next gen platformer to date.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
JamesH: I too loved Rayman 2. One of my favorites of all time.

I'll be really surprised, however, if it trumps the greatness that is Ratchet & Clank, the greatest platformer of this generation by far.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks