Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

anyone else excited for elephant?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#1 of 31 OFFLINE   Philip_G

Philip_G

Producer

• 5,035 posts

Posted March 05 2003 - 03:02 PM

the new white stripes album?
I heard seven nation army on sirius a couple weeks ago, and since then couldn't help myself, I tried to hold out but had to hit kazaa for some previews, so far I think this album will be outstanding Posted Image

#2 of 31 OFFLINE   Terry Hansen

Terry Hansen

Stunt Coordinator

• 102 posts

Posted March 06 2003 - 10:09 AM

I'm really looking forward to Elephant. If Seven Nation Army is any indication this should be a killer album.

#3 of 31 OFFLINE   Camp

Camp

Screenwriter

• 2,303 posts

Posted March 06 2003 - 02:48 PM

Me too! I'm assuming there will be a tour in support of the CD?

#4 of 31 OFFLINE   Camp

Camp

Screenwriter

• 2,303 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 12:58 PM

Tommorow!!

#5 of 31 OFFLINE   Steve Owen

Steve Owen

Second Unit

• 419 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 02:39 PM

I caved and downloaded weeks ago.

It is indeed very excellent. Like their other three albums, I'm finding it to have a very high "re-listenability" factor. I'll certainly be at the store tomorrow though to pick it up. I've read some interesting things about how it was recorded. No post-1963 (I think that's the date) technology used... both instruments and recording. Sounds it too.

And how's this for funny... the first notes played on the album are played on... ready... a bass.

I'll also be seeing them again soon... April 20th at the Orpheum in Boston. Look for me around about the 5th row... Posted Image

Quote:
I'm assuming there will be a tour in support of the CD?
Yes, They are touring.

-Steve
"He says the sun came out last night. He says it sang to him."

#6 of 31 OFFLINE   Paul Case

Paul Case

Supporting Actor

• 532 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 01:38 AM

This album is indeed great. It's a masterpiece and, in my opinion, the best thing The White Stripes have recorded to date. I have been listening to it non-stop for over a month now, and not only have I not gotten tired of it, but I am extremely excited about the official release today! That should tell you just how good this album really is.

Quote:
And how's this for funny... the first notes played on the album are played on... ready... a bass.

Actually, it's not a bass. Jack played his guitar through an octave pedal on "Seven Nation Army" to get that bass-like sound. Fantastic song, by the way. Posted Image

#7 of 31 OFFLINE   Kelley_B

Kelley_B

Screenwriter

• 2,329 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 02:30 AM

Whats even cooler is if you put all the different covers together they are a map to the Master Sword in Zelda, that info is right off their website. I'll be buying both the CD version for the car and work and the album version for home.

Their tour schedule looks like the first few US dates are just promo shows and then they head to Europe and then hopefully will be back in the states for a full tour.

PS - If you guys like the White Stripes, I recommend you check out the Ravonettes, I bought their CD last night at Best Buy for $4.99 and its incredible!

#8 of 31 OFFLINE   Jason_H

Jason_H

Second Unit

• 424 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 02:55 AM

Quote:
I recommend you check out the Ravonettes, I bought their CD last night at Best Buy for $4.99 and its incredible!

Wow! Posted Image What is it with Best Buy and indie music? More often than not lately, their prices have been rediculously low on indie bands when their CDs first hit the shelves. I bought Elephant for $9.99, and a few months back I bought Ash's "Free All Angels" and Primal Scream's "Evil Heat" BOTH with bonus DVDs for like $5.99 each. Unreal...not that I am complaining!

#9 of 31 OFFLINE   Camp

Camp

Screenwriter

• 2,303 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 03:41 AM

The Ravonettes are very cool but they sound more like a two-person Hives to me.

Quote:
Whats even cooler is if you put all the different covers together they are a map to the Master Sword in Zelda

That's so cool! I don't know anyone fan enough to buy the CD 6 times to see it though.

#10 of 31 OFFLINE   Kelley_B

Kelley_B

Screenwriter

• 2,329 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 04:26 AM

Yeah Best Buy and indie music are a good thing. I bought White Blood Cells there for $7.99 when it first came out and I got Sparta's full length album for $6.99. Also got The Hive's VVV for $9.99 when it first came out.

PS - Elephant rocks my socks.

#11 of 31 OFFLINE   Camp

Camp

Screenwriter

• 2,303 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 07:38 AM

Just got it.
Meg sings! Seven Nation Army rocks. The last track is cute given the intentional ambiguity of their relationship.

What's up with the rear track listing? What is the column after the title of each song? After Seven Nation Army it has "148-A01".
Why the "Side A" and the red 3's?

Quote:
Whats even cooler is if you put all the different covers together they are a map to the Master Sword in Zelda

My local Best Buy had only one cover to select from. Despite that limitation, I don't see how the covers would align to create anything.

#12 of 31 OFFLINE   Paul Case

Paul Case

Supporting Actor

• 532 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 07:55 AM

I believe the six different covers are only on the vinyl edition of the album. All cd copies have the standard cover, as far as I know.

#13 of 31 OFFLINE   LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport

Screenwriter

• 2,980 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 08:06 AM

I picked mine up and will listen to it as soon as I get home.

#14 of 31 OFFLINE   Kelley_B

Kelley_B

Screenwriter

• 2,329 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 08:53 AM

Quote:
I believe the six different covers are only on the vinyl edition of the album. All cd copies have the standard cover, as far as I know.

I believe that is correct. The local punk record store said they sold all 25 of their album shipment in less then an hour....my name is first on the list for when more come in!

I did buy the CD version though at Best Buy as they didn't have the CD version there.

#15 of 31 OFFLINE   Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter

• 1,829 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 12:55 AM

Listened to Elephant about 5 times already. By far their best since their 1st album. I really love it.

-Dean-

#16 of 31 OFFLINE   Steve Owen

Steve Owen

Second Unit

• 419 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 02:01 PM

Quote:
What's up with the rear track listing? What is the column after the title of each song? After Seven Nation Army it has "148-A01".
No idea what the 148 is, but the A01 is the the numbering on the 2-album vinyl set. There are 4 sides (A,B,C,D), so A01 is track 1 on side A.

I will say that I'm a bit dissapointed in the sound of the vinyl. It's a VERY cool vinyl set... record 1 on WHITE vinyl and record 2 on RED vinyl, but it's been my experience that colored vinyl just never has the sound that black vinyl compounds are capable of. Of course, being that it was recorded on early 60's era equipment, the recording is a bit rough to begin with, but unfortunatly their choice of vinyl doesn't allow for maximum sonics.

That said... I'm liking this more with each listen, and I already like it A LOT!

-Steve
"He says the sun came out last night. He says it sang to him."

#17 of 31 OFFLINE   Camp

Camp

Screenwriter

• 2,303 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 02:30 PM

Steve,

Thanks for the info... why two albums? Are there extra tracks on the vinyl version? The CD is just under 50 minutes long and I would think that would fit on a single record (then again, it's been a long time since I've even held a record Posted Image).

#18 of 31 OFFLINE   Philip_G

Philip_G

Producer

• 5,035 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 04:45 PM

hehe the irony is I haven't bought the CD yet. I have the MP3's I broke down and sampled weeks ago, they sound like they were ripped from vinyl somehow, maybe it's just a really crappy job...
I liked the album a lot at first, but my interest has faded. I'll still buy it though. Maybe I'll get it on vinyl. Just what I need, another hobby Posted Image

#19 of 31 OFFLINE   LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport

Screenwriter

• 2,980 posts

Posted April 04 2003 - 06:06 AM

This is what Jack White said about the vinyl version:

Quote:
As for the Elephant album itself, the Stripes pulled all the stops and made it a double LP for wider, deeper grooves that results in a better listening experience for you, the skeptical music consumer. There will also be six, count em, SIX (6!) different album covers. When arranged in a proper pattern, they tell you where to find the third sword in Zelda. Seriously.

Elephant is the first cd I've bought that has made me want to go out to buy the vinyl just so I can hold it in my hands, and I haven't bought new vinyl (LP) in 8 or 10 years (when The In Sound by the Beastie Boys was vinyl only).

I think Elephant could be huge. "Nevermind" huge! I listened to it three times last night. Once under the influence. It gets better every time. To me, it ranks up there with Revolver and The Who Sells Out, and I am almost 40.

Unfortunately I think Warners is going to use "The Union Forever" from White Blood Cells and its borrowed lyrics from Citizen Kane to sue the Stripes into signing with the WB, essentially killing the band. Jack has said in the press that the album after this will probably be the band's last anyway.

#20 of 31 OFFLINE   Camp

Camp

Screenwriter

• 2,303 posts

Posted April 04 2003 - 08:48 AM

Quote:
Jack has said in the press that the album after this will probably be the band's last anyway.

Has he given a reason? Any idea what his plans are afterwards? (other than acting)

Quote:
Once under the influence.

Do your ears turn golden in that condition? I must admit I've never been able to focus into critical listening mode after downing a few. Posted Image

Back to Music & Soundtracks

Forum Nav Content I Follow