What's new

Sub problems... (1 Viewer)

Reid K

Stunt Coordinator
Okay i have got my home theater up and running but i got a problem with my sub. Iam using a yamaha rxv-730 reciever with a JBL PB10 sub but when Iam using it in something that isnt DD the sub doesnt kick in. Why is this? When I play xbox it goes but gamecube nothing. Any ideas?

Steve_Ma

Second Unit
Try this link for some tips on setting up your sub properly.

I think more info is needed to really help you out:
* How is the sub connected to the Receiver (Speaker or line level out?
* What are the speaker settings set at?
* Did you calibrate with an SPL meter?

My guess would be that maybe your speakers are set to large with the sub = yes. This could only send a signal to the sub if there is a defined LFE track on the source.

--Steve

Reid K

Stunt Coordinator
My speakers are set on large, as for cable Iam using a cable made special for subs. So I think that is line out. And no I havent done a test on it.

Steve_Ma

Second Unit
Yup, that's the line level connection. It's generally considered the simplest and most surefire connection method for the sub. OK, maybe we're getting someplace.

Try setting all your speakers to small with the sub = yes.

Then play some cd's or video games (NOT A DVD MOVIE) and see if that helps. Play with the sub's volume and input level alittle to see if you can get some sound coming out from something without an LFE track.

--Steve

Reid K

Stunt Coordinator
Okay thanks around what should my cross over frequency be? And should my phase be at 0 or 180?

Steve_Ma

Second Unit
Anytime. With all your speakers set to small and the sub = yes, the receiver will probably automatically insert the crossover in the path. If you can choose one, 80hz or 100hz are pretty standard. The phase....Short answer: Try both and leave it where you think it sounds better.

--Steve

Reid K

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks the sub is up and running. metroid sounds so much better now

Users who are viewing this thread