What's new

Intersecting Stories. Please recommend (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I love movies that feature intersecting stories built around the same theme. I have watched the following:

Magnolia
Amores Perros
Traffic
13 Conversations about one thing
- I knew I would like this one just from the title
The Hours - (somewhat)

I am probably forgetting a few others. Every single one of these movies is a 3 1/2 to 4 stars material in my book.

Now, all these movie were released in this decade. Surely, in 100+ years of cinema, there must have been dozens of excellent such movies made. Please recommend away.

--
Holadem

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Nashville (1975).

And when you get the opportunity, the currently-in-limited release Lawless Heart.

M.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Lantana

update: Chunking Express. Great film, available on DVD, and definitely with intersecting threads (the 'Happy Together' reference reminded me)

~j

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
Try John Sayles' Lone Star. It has many intersecting characters and the general theme seems to be an exploration of father-son relationships. Great movie.

You might also like Atom Egoyan's The Sweet Hereafter. It follows a non-linear path centered around a lawyer and his attempts to bring forth a lawsuit in a community devastated by a school bus tragedy. By intermixing his very personal reflections on his own life with the events surrounding the lawsuit which occurred a year earlier, you get an amazing portrait of both the lawyer and some of the people of the community. It doesn't use separate stories united by a theme, but it does intermingle separate events in a compelling way. Also a great movie.

Brad

MattThiel

Grip
Crimes and Misdemeanors

I'm only recommending the Martin Landau subplot. The Woody Allen subplot didn't do anything for me.

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
I forgot to recommend Sunshine. Ralph Fiennes repeatedly appears as the central character as the story follows multiple generations of a family. (He plays the grandfather, the father, and the son - each while they are young and establishing themselves in society). It's like three different movies which flow together based upon the familial relationships, and it takes place during the late 19th and early to middle 20th centuries in central Europe.

Brad

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Some good recommendations so far.

Here's a few more:

Before the Rain - Explores the political/religious strife in Macedonia using a structure quite similar to Pulp Fiction.

Grand Hotel - Various characters interact in a posh Berlin hotel. One of the greats.

Unfortunately, neither one of these is available on DVD. :frowning:

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
A film I enjoyed far more than I expected to:

Go

Also allow me to second the criminally-overlooked:

The Red Violin

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Whoa, lots of recommendations, thanks! I have watched Lantana, Red Violin (why don't I own this yet?), Pulp Fiction (I am the only soul on the planet who didn't like it...).

I don't think Reservoir Dogs qualifies. Or Memento for that matter.

The rest is going into my Nexflix queue :)

--
Holadem

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
Possession was kind of like The Hours in its narrative structure (and a darn good movie too).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks