What's new

Panny RP-82 is no more (1 Viewer)

jeffrey_WIN

Auditioning
I went in search of the Panasonic RP-82 and was told that it is a discontinued model and that there is no replacement. I guess if you get great performance for little money -> high demand the business mind says you should discontinue the model. :confused:

greg_t

Screenwriter
According to some sources, the 82 had high priced components but the player was relatively low in cost, so it was not a very profitable player for panasonic. They can sell a basic player with cheap parts for ~$100 and make more money. I wish they would have up'd the cost of the 82 a hundred bucks or two hundred bucks, implemented scaling and a little better build quality, and kept it in production.

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor

I found the CP72 in silver at www.crutchfield.com for $229. I hate silver, but wanted a Panny with the Faroujda chipset. The new ones don't have it. I used the send a friend code, p5kjt-i8w21-51qc3 for another $20 off and there's a $30 rebate if you buy before 3/31. When all is said and done, $220 shipped - $30 rebate = $190 total.

Ralph

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
Ralph,
I checked your HT site, as I do when I see a link in a sign, and really like your set up. That entertainment center is killer!
One thing that doesn't make sense though is that you said you wanted the Faroudja chip, but you should have it in your Panny RP56. Are you saying that you want the new MPEG decoder that's coupled with the 82/72? Just trying to figure out if the 56 isn't cutting it.

Matt

StevenJL

Grip
Jeffery,
You can still find RP82s available from Canada. Just need some time, effort and most importantly, LUCK.

JohnGoggan

Stunt Coordinator
Yes and no. It is actually one of Amazon's zShops -- which is basically any guy off the street these days. The shop that says to hvae it has a logo that doesn't even load any more. The description says that it was "in stock at the time of listing" but that it might not be any more. Plus they charge your card immediately -- and THEN they'll let you know if it is in stock and, if not, issue a credit to you and allow you to backorder it.

In other words, it isn't Amazon -- but, yes, it could still be a possibility. I think you'd be just as good off at EBay...

- John...

JackS

Supporting Actor
I may be mistaken but I think the last Crutchfield catalog had the RP82. I looked at their web site and noted it was not listed as a player model in their current inventory. Still, I think I might call them if interested. Someone might get lucky.

JackS

Supporting Actor
Just found the Winter/Spring catalog. The RP82 is listed on page 95 at a price of $229.99 and the Stock #133dvrp82s.

Ari*S

Auditioning
Jack, I had called Crutchfield a couple of weeks back on this, and got the expected answer that that was a print mistake (with the "New" blurb and all!). They suggested the Denon 1600 instead. RP 82's been out of stock a while back now.

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor

Matt,

I'm putting a cheap set-up in the basement for my 3 year-old daughter's play area. I thought about buying a $60 interlaced player, but decided to put the RP-56 downstairs and upgrade the living room player. I've been more than satisfied with the performance of the RP-56 over the last year. The CP-72 has all the advantages of the RP-56, adds DVD-Audio, a changer and fixes the flicker bug too.

UPS says that my 72 just showed up!

Ralph

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
Ralph,
Thanks for the clarification! I do understand what you are going through. I'm moving my Toshiba 2109 (originally $300!!) into my 5 year old's room to he can watch movies in there and am looking to upgrade my main player with my widescreen set.

Let us know what you think of the 72!

Take Care,

Matt

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
Matt,

So far all I have watched was The Wiggles. Not much of a DVD benchmark! It's much heavier than the RP-56 which is nice. The drawer seems to be a little clunky. I kind of like the mirror-finish too. Set-up menus are pretty easy, but you have to enable progressive scan in the menu before anything will play at 480p.

I've got some time this weekend to try out some reference type DVDs Fifth Element Superbit, Toy Story 1 and 2, ATOC. I'm also going to pick up a few DVD-A titles tonight as well. Looking forward to that!

Ralph

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Ralph,

You do know that the Panny doesn't do bass management for DVD-A, right?

_Man_

Trina

Agent
I just picked up the CP72 a few weeks ago. Bought the last one in stock, and was told the model was discontinued. So far, I couldn't be happier. They'd actually marked the price down $50 to get rid of it, so I got it for $249. (I need to edit this. I must have been brain dead when I posted, cause I bought the CP72 for $199 and it also had a $30 rebate with it. So in the end, it was $169.)

The first DVD-A I put in it was Frank Zappa's Halloween, and it sounds very nice.

T

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I found the CP72 in silver at www.crutchfield.com for $229. I hate silver, but wanted a Panny with the Faroujda chipset. The new ones don't have it. I used the send a friend code, p5kjt-i8w21-51qc3 for another $20 off and there's a $30 rebate if you buy before 3/31. When all is said and done, $220 shipped - $30 rebate = $190 total.
funny...i did the exact same thing! i opted to buy from 'scratch & dent' to save another $30 on top of the $30 rebate + $20 refferal discount. my only concern was there would be a huge dent in the faceplate or the top of the unit, and i was prepared to return it if this was the case, but the unit i got just had about a 1" surface scratch on the underside of the changer that was very minor and 100% non-visible. i'm more than happy i went with 'scratch & dent', because there's no performance (or normally visible cosmetic) difference between my unit and the new ones.

$140 for the CP72 is a steal!

RobertW

Supporting Actor
exactly what i did. i looked it over for scratches and the only thing i could see was some "spider-webbing" scratches on the mirrored front panel.

KennyT

Auditioning
So the new ones don't have as high quality parts as the RP-82. How much will the picture quality suffer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks