Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Jonah VeggieTales...any DVD reviews of this 2 disc set?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 of 57 OFFLINE   Chris Rock

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor

• 716 posts

Posted March 08 2003 - 03:55 PM

Just watched it. Count this as another "loved it" vote.

#42 of 57 OFFLINE   Brenton

Brenton

Screenwriter

• 1,169 posts

Posted March 10 2003 - 05:13 PM

Well, I picked it up at Costco, and I loved it. It's another score for BigIdea. It seems sad to me that so many people are missing out on it because they dismiss it as a "Christian title" or a "kiddie flick". It may be, but that doesn't take away from the fact that it's sooo funny!

#43 of 57 OFFLINE   Aaron_Brez

Aaron_Brez

Supporting Actor

• 792 posts

Posted March 11 2003 - 02:50 AM

I enjoyed it. The Lunt/Tomato commentary was especially hilarious.

#44 of 57 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted March 12 2003 - 12:45 AM

The Digital Dailies on the Bonus Disc are riotous:

"Do we know anything about filmmaking"
"It has sort of a Being John Malkovich feel to it"
"It's an ever-loving freak out"

Posted Image

The Bonus disc on this set is one of the better bonus discs I can ever remember buying. Period. Big Idea says that there are over 20 hidden easter eggs.. now I just have to figure out where a few of them are Posted Image

Also, if you haven't seen the 'making of' where they show you all the panic they went through.. in some ideas, BigIdea is like a poor man's Pixar.. they have about 1/10th the budget (and there is no question, the film will not rival Pixar's animation skills) but it's amazing to see how they all struggled together to get the thing done. Call it a real commitment to craft.
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#45 of 57 OFFLINE   Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter

• 1,105 posts

Posted March 12 2003 - 02:16 AM

Also, remember the Digital Dailies are made up of Larry and Mr. Lunt as the film producers, with Kalihil, the worm-apiller acting as the editor, looking at very funny render mistakes from the film, and explaining them away with the most ridiculous and extremely humorous reasons possible. They are discussing which shots to redo, and which can be saved. Too funny.

#46 of 57 OFFLINE   Tommy G

Tommy G

Screenwriter

• 1,235 posts

Posted March 12 2003 - 02:37 AM

I hope you got yours by now Dave. I still haven't gotten mine but I went with the cheapo shipping because I am a cheapo. :b I should get it today. I am looking forward to a Friday movie night with my kids.
Please release The Goodies on Region 1 DVD
My DVDs

#47 of 57 OFFLINE   Jonny P

Jonny P

Supporting Actor

• 649 posts

Posted March 12 2003 - 04:27 AM

Listening to the commentary with the writers/directors of the film was pretty interesting. They both claim a love for the look of films of Terry Gilliam. They liked the look and the feel of "Baron Munchausen"...they also claim that the waves on the final musical number came from a scene in that film. "Time Bandits" was also mentioned as being an influence. I have to say, though, that the "Ballad of Billy Joe MacGuffrey" has been going through my head for the last week (over and over and over and over). "They gave him first aid in the first grade..."

#48 of 57 OFFLINE   Dean_Jonesy

Dean_Jonesy

Agent

• 37 posts

Posted March 12 2003 - 06:24 AM

AAAARRRHH. Stephen, you are ruining the commentary for me. Stop quoting it! Thanks. I'll get to it as soon as I finish watching the 13 movies I still have yet to watch.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

Albert Einstein

#49 of 57 OFFLINE   Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter

• 1,105 posts

Posted March 12 2003 - 11:16 AM

Trust me when I say, anything that I have posted thus far is only about 1/1000th of all the funny/cool/ROTFL stuff in this DVD set. My son comes home from college for spring break this weekend, and we'll be going through the entire set again.

#50 of 57 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted March 13 2003 - 04:38 PM

Has anyone found any of the easter eggs? Still looking.. I know they are there (they have a sample of one on their website:

http://www.bigidea.c..../22_easter.htm

)

But there are supposedly a lot of them...
My Current DVD-Profiler

#51 of 57 OFFLINE   Gregg Shiu

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit

• 420 posts

Posted March 16 2003 - 05:29 AM

I can't resist cute humor. The menus enough are cool enough to warrant a purchase. That, and the fact that it's only $15 from DeepDiscountDVD. A very worthy recommendation.
"-king sixty-three hundred dollar suit! COME ON!" - Gob

John 3:16My DVD CollectionMy CD Collection

#52 of 57 OFFLINE   Dave Miller

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor

• 854 posts

Posted March 16 2003 - 06:56 AM

I'm finally getting to watch this and boy is it great. Very impressed w/ the DD track. Musical numbers sound fantastic. Matthew R - I've got a Panasonic RP-91 DVD player and was trying the different transfer modes. After watching it on Video and Auto 2 (film), I like it better on Auto 2 which is what I watch most movies on. I have seen very little artifacting, but some combing. Can't wait to see the features. Peace, DM
"We all end up dead, the question is how and why."

#53 of 57 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted March 23 2003 - 10:09 AM

Another "Easter Egg" the Robot Show..

On the Second Disc, go to "FUN" select then press right on the remote.. the anchor in the fish tank will be highlighted. Select it.. whammo!

Posted Image

Disc gets better the more I watch Posted Image
My Current DVD-Profiler

#54 of 57 OFFLINE   Dave Miller

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor

• 854 posts

Posted March 26 2003 - 12:41 AM

For anyone who hasn't listened to it yet, the audio commentary w/ Mr Lunt and Larry is hilarious. The discussion of hush puppies and KK donuts were personal favorites. Peace, DM
"We all end up dead, the question is how and why."

#55 of 57 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted March 27 2003 - 02:16 AM

We finally got around to playing with the DVD-ROM features, basically cut down versions of the game, along with some text files and other information (Screen Savers, etc.) for a non-SE release, these disc are -crammed- with stuff. Best bang for the buck I've seen in a long time. Too bad a lot of studios don't put this kind of effort into a first release (and make you buy a film a second time)
My Current DVD-Profiler

#56 of 57 OFFLINE   Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter

• 1,105 posts

Posted March 27 2003 - 05:14 AM

Ron E., Have you taken a look at this disc set yet?

#57 of 57 OFFLINE   derek

derek

Second Unit

• 497 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 09:07 AM

Finally got to play around with the 2nd disc of this set. The outtakes are hilarious. And there are two special easter eggs. One with bonus outtakes (the porcupine leveling you know who just had me rolling.) And the best 'bonus' feature I've seen is the 'BOOTLEG' clip. I was on the floor laughing through the whole thing!!! Visions of Valenti, DIVX, home video cameras and goofy theater management dancing through my head.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users