Jump to content

Sign up for a free account to remove the pop-up ads

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

dual sized wall plates with binding posts

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   MikeAlletto



  • 2,371 posts
  • Join Date: Mar 11 2000

Posted February 28 2003 - 03:41 PM

I'm trying to find dual sized wall plates with binding posts in them for in wall speaker wire. The wire is already in the wall and it all goes to a dual sized wide empty wall plate. I'd like to get rid of the empty one and replace it with a dual sized plate with plenty of binding posts on it. Everything I've found so far has been single wide plates with up to 8 posts. I'd like a dual wide one with 8 (or more) posts.

Anyone seen one? Right now for my surrounds I just drilled a small hole in the middle and ran the bare cable through it to the surround speakers, but up front is where I have the problem for going from the wall to the receiver because of so many wire pairs.

Michael Alletto

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson

    Stunt Coordinator

  • 223 posts
  • Join Date: Jun 16 1999

Posted March 01 2003 - 12:02 AM

I'm looking for these type of wall plates as we speak. I get the Parts Express catalog and they have single plates with up to 4 posts, but that's it as far as I can tell. It's fine for me, since I have a single gang box at each speaker location, so I'll be putting a single plate with 2 binding posts on each box. But I'm wondering who else has them and where I can look at them. Anyone out there buy these from someone other than PartsExpress? thanks!

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   MikeAlletto



  • 2,371 posts
  • Join Date: Mar 11 2000

Posted March 01 2003 - 02:47 AM

Yeah I've got single plates at the speaker points but where all the cables run to near the floor for the receiver hookup I've got a dual plate...still looking.
Michael Alletto

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt


  • 5,910 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 05 1999

Posted March 01 2003 - 06:33 AM

Worse case, it wouldn’t be hard to make something suitable, using a blank plate and some binding posts like this from Parts Express:

Posted Image

Radio Shack has them, too, for twice the price (as usual).

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   MikeAlletto



  • 2,371 posts
  • Join Date: Mar 11 2000

Posted March 02 2003 - 07:42 AM

Well I found out it helps if I know what its called when I do searches on this topic. They are called dual gang wall plates. I found these:


which is exactly what I'm looking for.
Michael Alletto

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   mike_vigneau



  • 15 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 09 2003

Posted December 23 2003 - 08:12 AM

I purchased some 12-port dual-gang boxes for $2.60 at milestek.com

60-10145 is one of the part numbers for a white colored one.

I do like how yours had the label portion which would be easier to label.

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Ron Boster

Ron Boster


  • 1,151 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 10 1999

Posted December 23 2003 - 08:28 AM

Here's a lesson I learned as a novice....

I part wall plates that had the little screw pin connections on the inside of the binding post....bad idea. I must have spent 30 mintues just to get the wire secured in the little pressure flap on the inside.

Lesson Learned:

Future wall plates had a identical binding post on the inside to secure the bare wire in the wall to...it took seconds and provided a secure/sturdy connection.


I think I got the wall plates from Audio Advisor (Niles-I think)

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   AndyF



  • 35 posts
  • Join Date: Oct 14 2002

Posted December 23 2003 - 08:39 AM

These worked for me in my dual gang boxes:

They are from Parts Express:
261-422 8-hole wall-plate insert
091-1206 banana/binding speaker post connectors

Do a search for "Decora insert" on the Parts Express web site.