What's new

Segway Buyers Are Going Nuts! (1 Viewer)

Eric_E

Supporting Actor
Segway buyers are just nuts, period. I'm not kidding. To pay thousands of dollars for a glorified scooter, and then babble on about how they're revolutionizing humanity... sheesh, give it a rest. I read a couple of posts on that forum and those people have way too much time (and money) on their hands. Even the name of the thing - "Human Transporter" is ludicrous and pretentious to me. HT can only stand for one thing in my mind.

JayV

Supporting Actor
I kept thinking why would anyone want a HT (home theater) on wheels?
So I don't have to watch a tiny screen or listen to muddy dialogue due to lack of a center channel at friends. I could just drive it right into their living room. Vrooom!

-j

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
To be fair, they are not being banned "nationwide" on sidewalks. So far about 6 metropolitan areas have banned them from sidewalks, but not from bike and jogging paths. Many cities are welcoming them and others are avoiding knee-jerk "politics" and waiting to see how they actually can be incorporated into a cities lifestyle. If you saw the people in San Francisco who attacked the Segway at city meetings, you'd think it was the devil incarnate. I plan on purchasing one next year. So there! :D

JoshF

Supporting Actor
I think they're really goofy. Just what we need - another excuse for overpaid Americans to not exercise. Sheesh.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Then count me in as another "lazy, overpaid American". I'd love a Segway. Although, I'm not as overpaid as some and so will be waiting until the price comes down. ;)

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Segway buyers are just nuts, period. I'm not kidding. To pay thousands of dollars for a glorified scooter, and then babble on about how they're revolutionizing humanity... sheesh, give it a rest. I read a couple of posts on that forum and those people have way too much time (and money) on their hands. Even the name of the thing - "Human Transporter" is ludicrous and pretentious to me.
Say what you will, but to me the whole movement is a new beginning in transportation and is all about the future.
Just as much as any new technology, it will always have its skeptics

I wish someone would archive this thread so we can see in a few years how things have worked out.

Eric_E

Supporting Actor
Josh:
I was thinking the same thing - why walk anywhere when you can just stand and be carted around... the laziness never ends.

Aurel:
I can see how the Segway could have some practical uses, primarily for businesses (mail service, warehouses, theme parks, etc.), but I really don't believe that it's the innovation that will revolutionize our world. I don't think anything can have that much of an impact on society until it becomes more accessible to the masses. I'm sure most people won't be spending $5k on one of these things.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
These people are pretty nutty, I'll give you that. The Segway itself is pretty cool, can't wait to see some of them zipping around Denver soon. I don't think I'll buy one (not at $X,000), but kind of neat to see something new out there.

These things (and the wack folks that support them early) are needed to get to something truly useful. The first combustion engines were horrible (they broke down, blew up, etc.) but look at our cars today: indispensible to daily life. Now if they could make a 1-2 seater car, motorcycle, or moped out of that Segway tech and charge $5,000 for it, I might be a bit more interested...

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Dean Kamen, the inventor of the Segway has been working on these type of gyroscope based transporters for years.

He originally worked on the IBot which is a wheelchair that can climb chairs and blance on two wheels.

Having worked with disabled people in the past, I know first hand how useful this technology could be. Although not yet approved, you can read about this innovation HERE

but I really don't believe that it's the innovation that will revolutionize our world. I don't think anything can have that much of an impact on society until it becomes more accessible to the masses.
I don't think it will revolutionize our world, but it might be a step in the right direction. Friends who have seen the Segway in person, are amazed at what it can do.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
As a device that is beneficial for disabled people, I can see how the technology is fantastic. As a device for wealthy people to ride around their pools and Japanese gardens, I find it annoying and frivolous.

EdR

Second Unit
First off, I think anyone who thinks it's overblown should ride one before deciding the issue. No, I haven't ridden one, and indeed it may be overblown...but don't you think that's kind of like deciding that the hype for a movie is overblown before you've seen it?

I've read about how it works, and it sounds very cool. The idea that it is designed to work in concert with your internal balance 'mechanisms' (for lack of a better term), that it constantly adjusts to your foot position, is smart. From what I hear, it feels very natural and is easy to get on and ride, requiring little adjustment time.

I think the criticisms about laziness are misplaced as well. It's absolutely commonplace for people to get into a gas-guzzling car to go 3 blocks and pick up a movie rental. Not only is that lazy, it's a waste of resources.

I live in a city that has banned the Segway, and I'm embarassed. Without even giving the thing a chance to prove itself (or fail), like a bunch of backward luddites, the city has banned it outright.

I can picture a scene like this from ~100 years ago when this new-fangled 'horseless carriage' came on the scene. It seems downright silly to think of banning cars (although in many places it makes sense, but not entire cities), I wonder if it will look just as silly and backward to ban the Segway 100 years from now, if it's still around.

Cars were also very expensive when they were intorduced. Middle and lower class people couldn't afford a car, so using the high price as an argument against it is a bit premature, at best.

Because I live in a city, I don't drive. There's no need to, in fact there's a lot of reasons not to. I walk a lot and I take transit. The Segway would allow me to go places that would either be too far to walk, or would be incovenient on transit. I have no plans to buy one (and of course, I'd be breaking the law if I did, pfft), but I think people dismissing it as a tool for the rich and lazy are possibly not considering other points of view.

Will Pomeroy

Stunt Coordinator
The idea that it is designed to work in concert with your internal balance 'mechanisms'
One of these electric scooters does the exact same thing that any segway can do, but for 1/10 the price!

What boggles my mind is that so many people can be completely enveloped by a simple gimmick! Just because this segway can balance itself using gyroscopes (nothing new) somehow makes people think its going to revolutionize the world! Electric scooters (the tricky 'have to balance yourself' kind have been around for years, and you don't see people snatching them up, even though they do the EXACT SAME THING!

Don't get me wrong, I think they're cool, and i'm sure they're fun, but I don't see what the cuffufle is about... Its been done before, bucko.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> The Segway would allow me to go places that would either be too far to walk, or would be incovenient on transit.

I wonder how well it works on steep hills.

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
That Segway forum is pretty entertaining. Some really 'interesting' people posting there.

I'm puzzled how this device could revolutionise the world. It travels where you want and balances all by itself which is kind of neat, but then so do my legs and I don't need to fork out $5000 to use them. Want to travel further by environmentally friendly means? What's wrong with a bicycle?

Adam

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
Actually, one of the places I can see it work rather well is in chemical and other processing plants. I believe a small cart to carry some equipment is on its way. While I don't think it can be used to carry around a, say, ANSI pump (it weighs quite a bit) it could be used for a mechanic or an electrician to carry around their main tools. Its mobility should allow them to get real close to the equipment they work on.

I think it might be a real breakthrough for that area. Possibly. We'll have to see how people adapt.

I can see a lot of really useful places for it. Not the least of which is for people with, say, hip or knee problems...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks