Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

ST: Nemesis SACD - my $.02

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Alan_Horner

Alan_Horner

Stunt Coordinator

• 237 posts

Posted February 28 2003 - 06:08 AM

Have to toss this one into the "big disappointment" bin for a number of reasons.

I will say, though, that the dynamics of the recording are terrific -- I really did appreciate that the sound is so clear and clean here.

But...

1. As the liner notes explain, this is essentially a live recording. Nothing wrong with that except for the fact that there wasn't much of a need to make this release "multichannel." I know not everyone has the same expectations when a disc is marketed as m/c, but it's a disappointment to me when the rear channels are only utilized for an ever-so-slight reverb. Of course, I can always elect to listen to just the 2.0, but the point is that I was really expecting an active 5.1 mix. It's just not there.

2. I thought this was one of the most boring scores I've listened to in a long, long time. The liner notes are effusive over the brilliance of composer Goldsmith, and the man has turned out some incredible scores. Not here. There's such a singularity to the music that I had to keep checking the track listing to make sure I was listening to a new cut. Goldsmith has become the de facto "Star Trek" composer by virtue of his having worked on four previous films (one of which was co-composed by his son), but I prefer the vitality of James Horner's work for STII (and even III).

Except for the great quality of the recording, I didn't find much to appreciate about this release. I don't expect to be listening to it on a regular basis.

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Justin Lane

Justin Lane

Screenwriter

• 2,149 posts

Posted February 28 2003 - 06:52 AM

Thanks for the information Alan. I was thinking about picking this one up if I could find it locally, but I will probably now pass. I was really hoping this would have a very active 5.1 track befitting of a science fiction film, but I guess this is just not the case.

J

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy

Producer

• 3,999 posts

Posted February 28 2003 - 07:21 AM

I'm not familiar with this score, but are you guys quite sure it would sound good in the manner you've described? I mean, it's essentially homogenized "classical" music, right? Would it be something like strings over the left shoulder, tympani over the right, etc.? I just can't imagine what kind of soundstage you're suggesting.

BTW, has anyone heard the other Universal release from this week (and among my favorite vocal works), Mahler's "Das Lied von der Erde" by Boulez/Vienna Phil? I'm really keen on this title... just hoping for some feedback!
"Only one is a wanderer;
Two together are always going somewhere."

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Alan_Horner

Alan_Horner

Stunt Coordinator

• 237 posts

Posted February 28 2003 - 10:09 AM

Quote:
I'm not familiar with this score, but are you guys quite sure it would sound good in the manner you've described?
I don't think the "live" nature of this orchestral recording would necessarily have lent itself to a 5.1 mix, although there are some synthesizer effects used sparingly throughout that perhaps could have been assigned to the rear channels.

I just didn't know beforehand that the recording was a "live" recording, and I wouldn't have suspected it to be, given the promotion of this as a 5.1 mix. Again, that's where part of my disappointment lay.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Yumbo

Yumbo

Screenwriter

• 2,243 posts

Posted May 21 2003 - 11:03 AM

is this a hybrid disc, as in can I play it on a non-SACD player (which I don't have yet)?

thanks

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Alan_Horner

Alan_Horner

Stunt Coordinator

• 237 posts

Posted May 21 2003 - 02:44 PM

Quote:
is this a hybrid disc, as in can I play it on a non-SACD player
It is a hybrid disc and will indeed work in your non-SACD player.

Forum Nav Content I Follow