What's new

You must be a Jackass to like Pan & Scan (1 Viewer)

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
I just noticed that US Direct have more pre-orders for the Pan & Scan version of Jackass than the Widescreen version.

I visit their site regularly & where there are both versions, Pan & Scan rarely makes the top 10.

eg

Sales chart
3. The Ring WS (P&S #48)
10. Tuxedo WS (P&S #29)
15. Four Feathers WS (P&S #28)

Pre-orders
1. 8 Mile WS (P&S #18)
2. Harry Potter 2 WS (P&S not charted)
9. Red Dragon WS (P&S not charted)

There are many other exampled of WS versions in the top 50 but the P&S not charting so why is Jackass so different?

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I don't think you can use the word pan and scan with JACKASS. It was shot with video cameras and then cropped for theatrical viewing.

Pan and Scan is when they take a widescreen image and "pan or scan" that image to fit into a 1.33 TV frame.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
That's not suprising. P&S is the common mans format and if there ever was a common mans movie it's Jackass. I bet the Jerry Springer movie sold more in P&S too.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
don't think you can use the word pan and scan with JACKASS. It was shot with video cameras and then cropped for theatrical viewing.
A lot of the stuff in the film was framed with 1.78:1 in mind. A lot of video cameras (such as miniDV) can shoot in 16:9, not just 1.33:1. There is some stuff in the film was originally shot for the television show, but was just matted to 1.78:1.

Joe McKeown

Stunt Coordinator
I thought Pan and Scan was more popular in "Family oriented" pictures. I can just hear the soccer mom's "Hmmm, Jackass.. my kids would love that..."

William Ward

Supporting Actor
I'd not heed an online store's ranking to determine success of P&S vs Widescreen. The informed choice is widescreen, and many of the people who are informed, use online stores.

If I were to venture a guess, I'd say WS wins by the slimmest of margins over the P&S versions most of the time. Remember to take into account Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Walgreens, grocery stores, etc... Where there are far more uninformed purchases than informed....

Amazon is the same way.....

Very rarely will you see a P&S title within range of its WS counterpart....

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
What I still don't understand, is with it's short length of 1:20, why didn't they release it with both ARs on the same disk or dual-sided. This way, you're not at the mercy of the stores making the AR decision for the consumers and therefore giving the studio an excuse to think about dropping OAR altogether.

If I would have waited to rent this, I'd be mad because the place I can easily rent from (Convenience Store 2 minutes walk from here) ONLY carries Pan & Scan and will not listen to me and will not tell his boss to get OAR disks unless I threaten him with a gun (And I won't go that far!) Even though NO ONE has ever complained about black bars on OAR-Only titles and that I'm the only one who complains about MAR disks, he still chooses P&S. So just like thoes who stopped going to Wal-Mart even for Non-DVD Related purchases because of P&S DVDs, I buy my chocolat bars, beer, lottery tickets and other stuff elsewhere.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
A lot of the stuff in the film was framed with 1.78:1 in mind. A lot of video cameras (such as miniDV) can shoot in 16:9, not just 1.33:1. There is some stuff in the film was originally shot for the television show, but was just matted to 1.78:1.
I don't think any shots in the film were framed in any special way, they just shot stuff with cameras, not really caring about the aspect ratio.

I'd be more interested in how the transfer will be. Like with Blair Witch which was shot on video, transferred to film and then that film transfer was used for the video release making a very ugly transfer. I'm hoping Jackass will go video to video.

Tom Vet

Stunt Coordinator
You guys that want wide screen better not buy The Day The Earth Stood Stood Still as it is coming out in industry standard (1.37:1), it was made before 1953 movie "The Robe" which started widescreen. The Adventures of Robin Hood with Errol Flynn would be industry standard, even though the film that cost $2 million dollars in 1938 is in color.

If you want wide screen you will have to cut out every movie made for TV, your favorite TV series and a host a of a lot of Movies like "THEM" which I own made in 1954, in industry standard OAR. "Gone With The Wind" "Citizen Cane" all are industry standard. You better re-think your widescreen, unless you want to cut out some of the all time classics.

James L White

Supporting Actor
You guys that want wide screen better not buy The Day The Earth Stood Stood Still as it is coming out in industry standard (1.37:1), it was made before 1953 movie "The Robe" which started widescreen. The Adventures of Robin Hood with Errol Flynn would be industry standard, even though the film that cost $2 million dollars in 1938 is in color.

If you want wide screen you will have to cut out every movie made for TV, your favorite TV series and a host a of a lot of Movies like "THEM" which I own made in 1954, in industry standard OAR. "Gone With The Wind" "Citizen Cane" all are industry standard. You better re-think your widescreen, unless you want to cut out some of the all time classics.
we have no problem with non WS formats if the film's/show's OAR is 4:3 but if it's not and the DVD is in MAR that's our problem.

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
Tom, no offence but you should not disregard a film just because of how it's filmed, It's A Wonderful Life is one of my favourite movies & if anyone butchered it by matting it to 16x9, I'd rather never watch it again!

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
You better re-think your widescreen, unless you want to cut out some of the all time classics.
Where to start? Where to start? :rolleyes

For one thing, you're taking the whole 'widescreen' thing the wrong way. When people say they are 'pro-widescreen' they aren't referring to the fact that they want everything formatted to 1.78:1 or wider, they just simply refer to the fact that they don't want any pan & scanning or open matte transfers, that's all.

If you want to get anal/technical about it, then you can also say that 1.33:1 is ALSO widescreen because the width is longer than the height. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks