Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Children of Dune 5/20

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
47 replies to this topic

#1 of 48 OFFLINE   Matt Naglieri

Matt Naglieri

Second Unit

• 283 posts

Posted February 27 2003 - 04:48 AM

The 2-disc set is due on 5/20.

See below for more information.

#2 of 48 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted February 27 2003 - 05:25 AM

Gord and I had noticed this the other day, and were gonna add it to TVShowsOnDVD.com this coming weekend. At the time, the entry had precious little information, and no cover art. Glad to see it's got more now:

SRP: $26.98
1.85:1 Widescreen
English, Dolby Digital (that's all it says right now)
Running Time: 266 minutes
No supplements listed yet other than that it's a 2-disc set. I assume it will be thinner on the extras, since the previous series' SE was just a half hour longer but used 3 discs.

Here's the cover art...nice! I enjoyed the previous miniseries, so I'm looking forward to seeing if this one is just as good:

Posted Image
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#3 of 48 OFFLINE   DavidAC

DavidAC

Stunt Coordinator

• 195 posts

Posted February 27 2003 - 05:41 AM

Wow, good news indeed. Since I don't get Sci-Fi anymore I was hoping for a quick release on DVD. Though it being a 2-Disk set instead of a 3 suggests it'll be pretty much a bare bones release, have to wait and see but i'll be happy nevertheless just to see what looks like a very good follow up to Sci-Fi's Dune.

#4 of 48 OFFLINE   Alan_Horner

Alan_Horner

Stunt Coordinator

• 237 posts

Posted February 27 2003 - 10:12 AM

Ah, but will there be a Special Edition released "x" months down the road?

#5 of 48 OFFLINE   Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor

• 882 posts

Posted February 27 2003 - 12:18 PM

When was this even on? I never heard about it.
Government in action = Government inaction

#6 of 48 OFFLINE   Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor

• 563 posts

Posted February 27 2003 - 12:24 PM

Jason:

It premeires in March, I believe.
My Collection
Webmaster, The iPod Store (currently under construction) & The iPod mini Store
My Home Theater Page

#7 of 48 OFFLINE   Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer

Producer

• 3,759 posts

Posted February 27 2003 - 01:22 PM

Will this be an initial non-anamorphic release followed later by an anamorphic SE? They did this with Dune, much to my annoyance.
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

#8 of 48 OFFLINE   Kami

Kami

Screenwriter

• 1,496 posts

Posted February 27 2003 - 04:10 PM

Sweeeeeeeeeet!! I don't get sci-fi so this is good news for me!!

#9 of 48 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted February 27 2003 - 10:18 PM

Ah, but will there be a Special Edition released "x" months down the road?
Will this be an initial non-anamorphic release followed later by an anamorphic SE? They did this with Dune, much to my annoyance.

Artisan got a lot of shit from consumers and reviewers for this situation with the first one, so I think they are anxious to avoid a repeat. DVDPlanet now states specifically that CoD will be 16x9 anamorphic, so that's a done deal.

As for lack of supplements on this one: The show starts on SciFi Sunday March 16th, according to that website which has a bunch of nifty supplements there right now: "Features", "Trailers", "About Dune", "Dune Family Tree", "Image Gallery", "Downloads", "Behind the Scenes of CoD by the Director", "Questions with John Harrison", and "Video Interview with the Exec. Producer". Now, these things right there could be put onto the DVDs without too much effort, but perhaps Artisan won't commit to that until they see how well the ratings are. Or perhaps they DO want to save them for a future SE. I don't know.

OTOH, as a consumer I'm not sure how much more I would get out of such supplements, having watched all the ones on the SE of the first series. Is there really more info that's different with this production.

The answer is: probably, yes. Especially when you consider that different things happen, that there's always a story behind packing two novels into one feature, and that the cast is slightly different (Susan Sarandon!). Yeah, I hope that some of this makes it onto the DVD. But just in case it doesn't, I find time this weekend to go to that site and watch all the stuff I mentioned above. Posted Image
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#10 of 48 OFFLINE   Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted February 28 2003 - 03:33 AM

Don't forget that the second release was also a Director's Cut. I'm hoping they'll upgrade to Dolby-EX and dts-ES for this one.
"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
--Michael Scott, The Office

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

#11 of 48 OFFLINE   Jeff Kohn

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor

• 680 posts

Posted February 28 2003 - 04:32 AM

Well I'm glad to see the DVD is coming out so soon after the broadcast. I'd much rather watch a widescreen DVD with Dolby Digital sound than the over-compressed crappy signal we get from SciFi over satellite.

The only question is, will this be the only release or will there be a special edition director's cut later. I don't care so much about special features, but if there's going to be a director's cut I'd rather have that.

And I somehow don't think this is a title I'm going to be willing to double-dip on. With the first mini-series I canceled my order when I found out it was non-anamorphic DD2.0, so I was able to wait and purchased the director's cut.
Jeff Kohn
http://home.houston.rr.com/jeffkohn
My DVD Profiler Collection

#12 of 48 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,935 posts

Posted February 28 2003 - 06:14 AM

Hopefully, we will see more of the Chani like we did in the director's cut. Posted Image
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#13 of 48 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted February 28 2003 - 06:25 AM

another future customer who would rather make sure no SE is in the works before buying this one...
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#14 of 48 OFFLINE   Grant H

Grant H

Screenwriter

• 2,844 posts

Posted February 28 2003 - 07:40 AM

Yup, I'll wait on a SE with Director's Cut and DTS too. Still don't know who to hand-down my original release to. My dad wasn't too thrilled with it, and I still haven't bothered to watch all my SE release...just the "good parts" so far.

Man, I'm lame.

Personally, I'm still hoping for a SE of David Lynch's Dune,the one with the sonic weapons instead of mystical (perhaps super-Jedi-like) kung fu. I haven't read much of the book, but weren't the Weirding modules (excuse what I'm sure is the wrong spelling) in the book?
I think they tried too hard at times to be different from the Lynch version, sometimes at the expense of being different from the book (though I know the miniseries includes much more of the story overall than the Lynch version).
My midis bring all the Force to the yard; my midis are better than yours!

#15 of 48 OFFLINE   Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted February 28 2003 - 07:45 AM

Quote:
Personally, I'm still hoping for a SE of David Lynch's Dune,the one with the sonic weapons instead of mystical (perhaps super-Jedi-like) kung fu. I haven't read much of the book, but weren't the Weirding modules (excuse what I'm sure is the wrong spelling) in the book?

No, the Weirding Way is a martial art. The Weirding modules are a blasphemy, an unnessary wholesale alteration to the original book

Came across this quote from the makers of Children

Quote:
Try not to get hung up on such details as whether the twins are too old or too young, the eyes are too blue or not blue enough, or that the book says this and we did that. You'll end up robbing yourself of a great experience

Sounds like "We blasphemed, and we want you to forget that and enjoy all the parts we made up" NOTHING DOING!

#16 of 48 OFFLINE   Joel C

Joel C

Screenwriter

• 1,635 posts

Posted February 28 2003 - 12:18 PM

Quote:
"We blasphemed, and we want you to forget that and enjoy all the parts we made up"

God. Chill. It's an adaptation, not blasphemy.
Joel
woemcats@hotmail.com
"Why I laugh?"

#17 of 48 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,392 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted February 28 2003 - 04:15 PM

Joel: Jeff's this obsessive about pretty much all adaptations and translations. If it bothers you, just do what I do and ignore it. It's one of his many fascinating character quirks.

#18 of 48 OFFLINE   Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted February 28 2003 - 04:48 PM

Adam, I've never been called fascinating before Posted Image

I don't know if that's good or bad Posted Image

I just don't know what's so hard about doing it right when it's actually more difficult to do it wrong.

#19 of 48 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,392 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted March 01 2003 - 03:50 AM

I tend to prefer the more the more accurate adaptations myself, but I'm more than willing to go for the ride if the adaptation is an interesting enough take on the material. And I wouldn't call it bad... just different.

#20 of 48 OFFLINE   LennyP

LennyP

Supporting Actor

• 587 posts

Posted March 01 2003 - 07:42 AM

I didn't get the first Dune miniseries until a director's cut SE came out. There might be one for Children too, as each episode again was most likely trimmed to fit 15 minutes of stupid ads into each hour.
Still, if no new announcement is released by 5/20 I'll buy this one.
Top: 1-10 | 11-20 | Complete Archives | Discs: 1397
New R1: Cube SE | Cube² | Noir Vol.1 | .hack//Sign Vol.1 | RahXephon Vol.1 | Assassins | Judge Dredd | One Hour Photo | Unfaithful

Forum Nav Content I Follow