What's new

Kieslowski's Three Colors Trilogy - any early reviews? (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I've convinced myself that this will be my blind buy for the month of March. The trilogy is being released next Tuesday (3/4/03).

With Buena Vista putting it out, I'm a bit apprehensive (on whether it's been edited down like their other foreign releases here).

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
I just got these yesterday and haven't had time to look at them yet. But the timings listed on the back of the DVDs pretty much match those listed at IMDb. The slight exceptions: Blue is listed as 98 mins. on the DVD, 100 at IMDb; White is 92 on the DVD, 91 at IMDb. I would bet those are just discrepancies and not indicative of cuts. (Really, would BVHE have added a minute to White?)

One thing is for sure: These discs are absolutely loaded with special features, a big surprise. Courtesy of DVD Empire:
Features:
Blue
Reflections on Bleu (Featurette)
A Discussion On Kieslowski's Early Years
Conversation With Juliette Binoche on Kieslowski
Audio Commentary With Annette Insdorf
Krzysztof Kieslowski's Cinema Lesson
Marin Karmitz Interview With Selected Scenes Commentary
Juliette Binoche Selected Scenes Commentary
Jacques Witta Interview/Commentary
Kieslowski Student Film: Concert Of Wishes
Kieslowski Filmography
White
A Look At Blanc
A Discussion On Krzysztof Kieslowski's Later Years
A Discussion On Working With Kieslowski
Marin Karmitz Interview
Julie Delpy Selected Scenes Commentary/Interview
Behind the Scenes of White With Krzysztof Kieslowski
Kieslowski Student Films: Trolley, The Face, The Office
Kieslowski Filmography
Red
Insights Into Trois Coulerus-Rouge
A Conversation With Irene Jacob On Kieslowski
Marin Karmitz Interview
Irene Jacob Selected Scenes Commentary
Behind the Scenes of Red With Krzysztof Kieslowski
Jacques Witta Interview/Commentary
Kieslowski Filmography
Red At Cannes 1994

Video:
Widescreen 1.85:1 Color (Anamorphic)
Audio:
FRENCH: Dolby Digital Surround
POLISH: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles:
English
Includes:
Audio Commentary

Release Date: 3-4-2003

Packaging: Custom Case
Disc: SS-DL
Chapters: 56

Item Code: 30275
UPC Code: 786936216790
Also, the subtitles are in yellow.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I can't wait for these. Actually, I have only watched Red (VHS) and it became instant Top 10 material, even back then when my outlook on movies was much different (more casual). I hope it doesn't dissapoint now. I suspect it won't.

--
Holadem

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
BLUE looked fine to me last night. So does Irene jacob :D

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I would suggest these as a "blind buy" to all who are uninitiated to them.

I continue my request to Disney to place production or release dates on their DVDs.

I cannot imagine how this could damage them in any way, as most people know that several of their films were not made last year.

It also may be helpful to know which color came first without research.

RAH

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
I second the motion for Disney to start putting YEAR OF RELEASE info on their covers - they are the only ones who don't, and IS VERY ANNOYING.

Blue, White, Red - the national flag.

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
Agreed, Robert. This lack of release dates annoys me every time I get a new DVD from Disney. I enter all this info into my DVD database and have to hit imdb with every single Disney DVD just so I can confirm the release year. Are they afraid that someone won't buy or rent a movie if it wasn't made last year?

-greg

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
For someone who hasn't seen any of them, what do I need to know about them? Heard good things, but know nothing about the movies.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Chris, the main thing I'd suggest is watching them in the proper order: Blue, then White, then Red. I'm chomping at the bit for these. Definitely at the top of my list.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
They are simply amazing films, and absolutely worth a 'blind' buy if you've not seen them. White is my favorite, but many people seem to favor Red as the best of the three. They are my most-anticipated DVDs ever, period (Miller's Crossing is next; 2003 is going to be a great DVD-year for me).

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
With sweeps month now over, I'll have a little more time to check out this trilogy as soon as I receive it (hopefully next week).

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
How much will all three cost? Tuesday is shaping up to be a big day for me if I buy these along with Ringu, The Ring, Star Trek 3, and 4!

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
Only online review I could find so far is here & is quite favorable.

I preordered mine a couple of weeks ago, so I'm relieved that Miramax has (appraently) done a good job.

I've been waiting for this one (now if New Yorker will just officially announce their re-release of the Decalogue . . . BTW, Facets is currently taking pre-orders for this [Decalogue] at full retail [$79.95] & has even shipped small quantities according to their customer service).

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Blue, White, Red - the national flag.
Yes, but you have to know which country :) I happened to see a graphic of the flags of the five permanent members of the UN Security Council, and noticed that four of them have those same three colors, all in different orders/configurations.

//Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks