What's new

Last Seduction dvd: FF or P&S? (1 Viewer)

BarrieT

Auditioning
The packaging is a contradiction...IMDB claims it was shot FF with the intention of matting. Anyone who's seen this disc can comment?

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
The Last Seduction made it's debut on cable full frame. The excellent notices for Linda Fiorentino's performance caused the makers to book it in a few theatres in New York and Los Angeles - matted - in the hopes of an Oscar nomination for Fiorentino. I guess they didn't know the Oscar rule that a film has to debut first theatrically to qualify. But Fiorentino did get the N.Y. Film Critics award, London Film Critics award and the BAFTA (British Oscar) for best actress for her work in Seduction.

As for the correct aspect ratio, I suspect it was full frame since it was intended for cable showing. The laser disc is matted and the framing looks fine.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The laser disc is matted and the framing looks fine.
No, the laser disc is not matted. It's full-frame, despite a misprinted cover that says "widescreen". And it looks anything but fine. I saw the film theatrically, and the LD (which I still have) is both misframed and features a poor transfer with weak, washed-out colors. I refused to buy the DVD, because Artisan has a history of recycling LD transfers, and I couldn't get anyone to confirm that the DVD transfer is new.

As I have said in previous threads on this subject, the film was shot and framed for theatrical exhibition. It debuted on cable because the filmmakers initially couldn't get a distribution deal. I await a proper treatment on DVD. After all, it took Artisan three tries to do a half-decent job with Stargate. Who knows how many it will take with Last Seduction?

M.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I have the Carlton UK release which features a goregous anamorphic widescreen transfer and sells for about the same price as the Artisan pan/scan release.

Jeff

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
The excellent notices for Linda Fiorentino's performance caused the makers to book it in a few theatres in New York and Los Angeles
It played much wider than that. It was here, in Minneapolis, in December 1994. Other cities included Houston, San Francisco, Chicago, Washington, D.C., Atlanta, Phoenix--basically most major U.S. cities, although at art houses in all of them. The point is that its eventual theatrical release was more than just an Oscar-qualifying run.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Ah, but we haven't determined whether it is or isn't p&s yet, have we?
I don't care whether you call it full-frame or P&S -- if it's not the intended theatrical framing, the composition will be wrong. Besides, there's a widespread misimpression that the video transfers of certain films simply involves "opening up the mattes" to reveal more image. Wrong! Selectively, on a shot-by-shot basis, the frame may be zoomed, panned, tilted or otherwise modified during the transfer to video for a whole variety of reasons (boom mikes, dolly tracks, film damage, etc.). So "open matte" isn't the panacea that some people think it is.

M.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Michael-

I agree with you, and for those who own a multi-region
player, it sounds like the R2 DVD is the way to go.

Having said that, this film on the R1 DVD appears to be
open matte, and one can (and should) either zoom the image
on widescreen televisions to arrive at a close to OAR
presentation, or in case like mine with a 1.33:1 television
have a handy set of black mattes that you can place on
your screen. (Mine is black foam core, with electical tape
on the edges, and works great.)

Still, having said all this, the transfer on the new
DVD does appear, to my eyes at least, less than good.

With region free players getting so cheap...

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks