What's new

Panasonic DVD-S35 Progressive scan DVD player. (1 Viewer)

RickyK

Auditioning
I am looking for a decent low budget DVD player. It seems like Panasonic is a well liked brand here. I came across the DVD-S35 on amazon.com. Its only $99.99. Is this a good progressive scan player? I compared the specifications for the S35 and the RP62 and I dont see any major differences between them except for a few built in audio functions which I am not going to use. Heck the S35 seems to have more features and functions then the RP62 and costs less!

I want to be sure that I am buying a quality product before I order it. So...is the S35 any good? ;) Thanks for the help!

Oh and I am gonna be matching it up with the Sony WEGA 40XBR800 TV :D

Lane F.

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think you will get many (if any) replies, as the S35 is a brand new unit. A few online retailers have just received there shipments of these this past week, and I haven't seen them in any retail store as of yet. There will probably be more info on this next month (its officially released in March I belive). Hope that helps.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I don't think the new pannys have the DCDi chips in them so they won't perform as well as the RP62,RP72,RP82 or XP30 and XP50 do.

Lane F.

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think the new pannys have the DCDi chips in them so they won't perform as well as the RP62,RP72,RP82 or XP30 and XP50 do.
Thats a good point. Does anyone know if last years Panasonic DVD Recorder (DMR-E30) had this chip? I'm in debate whether to get the DMR-E30 on closeout or get the new DMR-E50...

RickyK

Auditioning
i broke down and went down to circuit city to buy it. Its pretty nice. Image quality is pretty good, nice slim look, and its quiet. :) Not bad for $99.99

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Great! Now take it apart and upload pictures of all the circuit boards (both sides, of course).

No? Awe..come on! Please!

:)

MikeSRC

Second Unit
Well, you can keep the lid on it. :)

I opened up one and Panasonic is using their own one-chip solution for the S35, and presumably all the new players since the chip does DVD-A as well. The chip is MN2DS0002AP. There's a description and picture of it here: http://www.matsushita.co.jp/corp/new...n020828-2.html

Early impressions are good for $100 progressive scan DVD player. There seems to be a lot of high frequency roll off with Avia resolution tests, but the picture with movies is very good. Of course, it fails all the Faroudja DCDi test disk tests, but no worse than most other non-DCDi players do. I haven't had much of a chance to really put it through its paces yet, but we'll see over the next few days.

Brian O

Second Unit
What are the advantages to 4:4:4 processing? I noticed the new Panasonics have it where my CP72 does not. But my CP72 has the Farouda chip and the 35 does not. What are the pros and cons comparing to each other?

MikeSRC

Second Unit
Don't believe what you read on the Panasonic website. All the current Pannys have 4:4:4 processing.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Whew! Thank goodness for that super-duper-ultra-dense-chip-thingamabob :)--I was wondering how they were pricing these new players so cheap.

From that Matsushita link posted above:

This contrasts with the minimum of six microchips required by Panasonic's previous DVD players.
I was worried they were using trained gnats on minimum wage in there!!

And lastly: do these Panasonics have screensavers YET?

LJ

Kent Wo

Agent
Glad I found this thread. I was also looking at this player or the S55 model. Can anyone recommend the Pioneer 656 model? It should the progressive scan, 5 disk model. I've seen it at the NEX for $189.

Thanks

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
Which does remind me--does the now-discontinued DVD-RV32 series use the Faroudja DCDi de-interlacer? :confused: And what about the Sharp DV-S1U, which I heard has a Faroudja chip?

Craig W

Second Unit
No, the RV32 is a non progressive scan player. Hence no reason to include the DCDi chip.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
I haven't had much of a chance to really put it through its paces yet, but we'll see over the next few days.
If you have a copy of Toy Story check the movie option selection menus to make sure the DVD-S35 don't have a chroma bug problem. :)

Ted Ross

Second Unit
As usual for Panasonic, no chroma bug

I have the s35 as well & at 1st I thought it didnt have the chroma bug, but after further review it does indeed look like it has the chroma bug. I was watching The Ninth Gate & the tailights on the cars in that movie had that all-to-familair blockniess to them. Then again, I could be wrong

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
Saw this player at Wal Mart of all places today for $99. Looks like it's a part of their regular modular line up for this year. They only had silver, but no black in sight :frowning: I as doing to give it a run and check it out. I am seriously considering the close out prices on the RP62's right now ($139 and less). Anyone with opinions on that would be appreciate (I'm not searching for an RP82 due to the prices, availability, and color.)

Matt

Matt Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all---

I was attracted to this thread because I'm interested in picking up a new Progressive-scan player. My current player, a Toshiba 3109 [2-disc], was purchased several years ago when Progressive players were just too expensive for my price range. Last year, I bought a digital TV, so I'm ready to upgrade to PS.

Can anyone recommend an FAQ or site that lists some of the basics to look for in a PS player? Cost is still a factor for me, but I'd still like to know what to look for in a PS player.

And what, exactly, is "DCDi"?

Thanks so much for any advice you can offer.

mattl

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
MikeSRC,

Check one more thing: how smooth is the variable-speed slow-motion playback? And will it be able to do audiable fast scans of audio Compact Discs smoothly, too? :confused:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Can anyone recommend an FAQ or site that lists some of the basics to look for in a PS player? Cost is still a factor for me, but I'd still like to know what to look for in a PS player.

And what, exactly, is "DCDi"?
Matt,

This may come a little late, but here's the best place for this info:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...e-10-2000.html

There's even an extensive list of players (in the shootout) w/ ratings weighted based on various factors although mostly for progressive scan PQ. You should read through the shootout guide to understand how things are weighted.

Enjoy!

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks