Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Panasonic DVD-S35 Progressive scan DVD player.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 of 29 OFFLINE   RickyK

RickyK

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted February 25 2003 - 03:42 PM

I am looking for a decent low budget DVD player. It seems like Panasonic is a well liked brand here. I came across the DVD-S35 on amazon.com. Its only $99.99. Is this a good progressive scan player? I compared the specifications for the S35 and the RP62 and I dont see any major differences between them except for a few built in audio functions which I am not going to use. Heck the S35 seems to have more features and functions then the RP62 and costs less!

I want to be sure that I am buying a quality product before I order it. So...is the S35 any good? Posted Image Thanks for the help!

Oh and I am gonna be matching it up with the Sony WEGA 40XBR800 TV Posted Image

#2 of 29 OFFLINE   Lane F.

Lane F.

Stunt Coordinator

• 188 posts

Posted February 26 2003 - 09:00 AM

I don't think you will get many (if any) replies, as the S35 is a brand new unit. A few online retailers have just received there shipments of these this past week, and I haven't seen them in any retail store as of yet. There will probably be more info on this next month (its officially released in March I belive). Hope that helps.
When I play with my cat, how do I know that she is not passing time with me rather than I with her?

#3 of 29 OFFLINE   Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt

Producer

• 3,813 posts

Posted February 26 2003 - 09:31 AM

I don't think the new pannys have the DCDi chips in them so they won't perform as well as the RP62,RP72,RP82 or XP30 and XP50 do.

#4 of 29 OFFLINE   Lane F.

Lane F.

Stunt Coordinator

• 188 posts

Posted February 26 2003 - 09:47 AM

Quote:
I don't think the new pannys have the DCDi chips in them so they won't perform as well as the RP62,RP72,RP82 or XP30 and XP50 do.

Thats a good point. Does anyone know if last years Panasonic DVD Recorder (DMR-E30) had this chip? I'm in debate whether to get the DMR-E30 on closeout or get the new DMR-E50...
When I play with my cat, how do I know that she is not passing time with me rather than I with her?

#5 of 29 OFFLINE   RickyK

RickyK

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted February 26 2003 - 05:14 PM

i broke down and went down to circuit city to buy it. Its pretty nice. Image quality is pretty good, nice slim look, and its quiet. Posted Image Not bad for $99.99

#6 of 29 OFFLINE   JohnnyG

JohnnyG

Screenwriter

• 1,523 posts

Posted February 28 2003 - 08:33 AM

Great! Now take it apart and upload pictures of all the circuit boards (both sides, of course).

No? Awe...come on! Please!

Posted Image

#7 of 29 OFFLINE   MikeSRC

MikeSRC

Second Unit

• 369 posts

Posted February 28 2003 - 02:51 PM

Well, you can keep the lid on it. Posted Image

I opened up one and Panasonic is using their own one-chip solution for the S35, and presumably all the new players since the chip does DVD-A as well. The chip is MN2DS0002AP. There's a description and picture of it here: http://www.matsushit....n020828-2.html

Early impressions are good for $100 progressive scan DVD player. There seems to be a lot of high frequency roll off with Avia resolution tests, but the picture with movies is very good. Of course, it fails all the Faroudja DCDi test disk tests, but no worse than most other non-DCDi players do. I haven't had much of a chance to really put it through its paces yet, but we'll see over the next few days.
Enjoy!

Mike
SurfRemoteControl.com
SurfAudioVideo.com

#8 of 29 OFFLINE   Brian O

Brian O

Second Unit

• 288 posts

Posted February 28 2003 - 05:21 PM

What are the advantages to 4:4:4 processing? I noticed the new Panasonics have it where my CP72 does not. But my CP72 has the Farouda chip and the 35 does not. What are the pros and cons comparing to each other?

#9 of 29 OFFLINE   MikeSRC

MikeSRC

Second Unit

• 369 posts

Posted February 28 2003 - 05:42 PM

Don't believe what you read on the Panasonic website. All the current Pannys have 4:4:4 processing.
Enjoy!

Mike
SurfRemoteControl.com
SurfAudioVideo.com

#10 of 29 OFFLINE   LanceJ

LanceJ

Producer

• 3,168 posts

Posted February 28 2003 - 05:42 PM

Whew! Thank goodness for that super-duper-ultra-dense-chip-thingamabob Posted Image--I was wondering how they were pricing these new players so cheap.

From that Matsushita link posted above:

Quote:
This contrasts with the minimum of six microchips required by Panasonic's previous DVD players.

I was worried they were using trained gnats on minimum wage in there!!

And lastly: do these Panasonics have screensavers YET?

LJ

#11 of 29 OFFLINE   Kent Wo

Kent Wo

Agent

• 30 posts

Posted February 28 2003 - 09:23 PM

Glad I found this thread. I was also looking at this player or the S55 model. Can anyone recommend the Pioneer 656 model? It should the progressive scan, 5 disk model. I've seen it at the NEX for $189.

Thanks

#12 of 29 OFFLINE   Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter

• 1,055 posts

Posted March 03 2003 - 05:15 AM

Which does remind me--does the now-discontinued DVD-RV32 series use the Faroudja DCDi de-interlacer? Posted Image And what about the Sharp DV-S1U, which I heard has a Faroudja chip?
Raymond in Sacramento, CA USA

#13 of 29 OFFLINE   Craig W

Craig W

Second Unit

• 445 posts

Posted March 03 2003 - 07:42 AM

No, the RV32 is a non progressive scan player. Hence no reason to include the DCDi chip.

#14 of 29 OFFLINE   Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter

• 1,055 posts

Posted March 03 2003 - 11:02 AM

Quote:
I haven't had much of a chance to really put it through its paces yet, but we'll see over the next few days.

If you have a copy of Toy Story check the movie option selection menus to make sure the DVD-S35 don't have a chroma bug problem. Posted Image

#15 of 29 OFFLINE   MikeSRC

MikeSRC

Second Unit

• 369 posts

Posted March 03 2003 - 12:33 PM

That much I've already done. Posted Image
As usual for Panasonic, no chroma bug. Posted Image
Enjoy!

Mike
SurfRemoteControl.com
SurfAudioVideo.com

#16 of 29 OFFLINE   Ted Ross

Ted Ross

Second Unit

• 396 posts

Posted March 03 2003 - 03:00 PM

As usual for Panasonic, no chroma bug

I have the s35 as well & at 1st I thought it didnt have the chroma bug, but after further review it does indeed look like it has the chroma bug. I was watching The Ninth Gate & the tailights on the cars in that movie had that all-to-familair blockniess to them. Then again, I could be wrong

#17 of 29 OFFLINE   Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace

Second Unit

• 400 posts

Posted March 05 2003 - 01:38 PM

Saw this player at Wal Mart of all places today for $99. Looks like it's a part of their regular modular line up for this year. They only had silver, but no black in sight Posted Image I as doing to give it a run and check it out. I am seriously considering the close out prices on the RP62's right now ($139 and less). Anyone with opinions on that would be appreciate (I'm not searching for an RP82 due to the prices, availability, and color.)

Matt
"And I say I'm dead, and I move"....

#18 of 29 OFFLINE   Matt Lucas

Matt Lucas

Stunt Coordinator

• 160 posts

Posted March 06 2003 - 02:27 AM

Hello all---

I was attracted to this thread because I'm interested in picking up a new Progressive-scan player. My current player, a Toshiba 3109 [2-disc], was purchased several years ago when Progressive players were just too expensive for my price range. Last year, I bought a digital TV, so I'm ready to upgrade to PS.

Can anyone recommend an FAQ or site that lists some of the basics to look for in a PS player? Cost is still a factor for me, but I'd still like to know what to look for in a PS player.

And what, exactly, is "DCDi"?

Thanks so much for any advice you can offer.

mattl

#19 of 29 OFFLINE   Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter

• 1,055 posts

Posted March 07 2003 - 11:59 PM

MikeSRC,

Check one more thing: how smooth is the variable-speed slow-motion playback? And will it be able to do audiable fast scans of audio Compact Discs smoothly, too? Posted Image

#20 of 29 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,874 posts

Posted March 19 2003 - 01:50 PM

Quote:
Can anyone recommend an FAQ or site that lists some of the basics to look for in a PS player? Cost is still a factor for me, but I'd still like to know what to look for in a PS player.

And what, exactly, is "DCDi"?
Matt,

This may come a little late, but here's the best place for this info:

http://www.hometheat....e-10-2000.html

There's even an extensive list of players (in the shootout) w/ ratings weighted based on various factors although mostly for progressive scan PQ. You should read through the shootout guide to understand how things are weighted.

Enjoy!

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

Back to Blu-ray, DVD, LD, Tivo, Satellite and Other Playback Devices

Forum Nav Content I Follow