What's new

Sony DVPS330 video problem (1 Viewer)

Patrick_L

Second Unit
hi all. for the past couple of weeks said player has been starting to have problems...
during a movie, the picture will freeze, then the player will jump back a few chapters. i DO have the firmware upgrade for this player and it has had no lipsynch problems or any other problems up until now. the firmware was upgraded last year. i do check and clean any dvd's when necessary. any advice appreciated.
------------------
Patrick

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
If the DVDs are not badly scratched, I would assume that the laser mechanism is dirty or failing. Try a laser lens cleaner. Radio Shack sells one that looks like a CD with small fibers that clean the lens. It sells for around $10.
Are a lot of the problematic DVDs rentals? I've had problems like those that you describe with my Sony DVP-C670D DVD changer when playing rental DVDs. Cleaning the rental discs did no good because they had deep scratches. There is nothing wrong with my player because it handles DVDs that I own and maintain in immaculate condition flawlessly.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Patrick_L

Second Unit
thanks for your response Keith.
yes, of the dvd's that DID skip, they were rentals. some had a few scratches, but nothing major. i will try rewatching some of my own discs, which are immaculate by the way :)
IF one of my own discs resurfaces the problem, then i shall try the lens cleaner.
thanks again,
------------------
Patrick

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
No problem, Patrick. Hopefully the problems you have experienced are simply due to scratched discs. By the way, the 'S330 was my first DVD player. I bought it in December 1999 and it worked great for many months, but in June 2000, I experienced the famous lip-synch problem. I remember experiencing the lip-synch problem on Sleep Hollow and The General's Daughter, both of which were rentals, though I doubt that had anything to do with it. I immediately had the firmware upgraded, and never experienced the problem again. However, I replaced the 'S330 with a Sony DVP-C670D DVD changer a few months later. I sold the 'S330 on eBay. It was a nice player.
------------------
My:

Merconium

Agent
Real Name
Jeff
I have had this problem for a number of rental discs (yes, I'm a netflixer...sorry folks.) Generally there are two causes: 1) cracked disc, usually at the spindle, or 2) greasy fingerprints on the disc. Sometimes these can be very stubborn.
Otherwise the S330 is a great player, at least for us non-HD/progressive folks.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
This thread reminds me of an interesting comparison of the ability, or lack thereof, of certain DVD players to read scratched discs that I witnessed last year. I was in a store looking at DVD changers before buying the Sony DVP-C670D. They had a very badly scratched copy of Space Jam that the salesman said was one of the first DVDs they starting using for demos a couple years earlier. It was pretty well trashed. The salesman first placed the DVD in a Sony DVP-S530D DVD player, which is from the same generation as the 'S330. The 'S530D hung up all over the place on the DVD. It was a nightmare. The salesman then put the same DVD in an Integra DVD changer (don't recall the model number, but it was the Integra version of the Onkyo DV-C600). The Integra changer played right through the DVD without a hitch. It was amazing given how badly scratched the disc was and the fact that the Sony player couldn't do anything with it. I almost bought the Integra changer on the spot, but it lacked features I was looking for. I went with the Sony changer because it had the features I wanted and because I knew my own DVDs are in much, much better condition than some of the rentals one encounters. I only rent DVDs occasionally anyway.
------------------
My:

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jimmy, your experience with the 'S7700 is very disappointing as that is a very well regarded DVD player. It is designed much better than Sony's typical models such as the 'S330 or my 'C670D. The upside, of course, is that you should be able to get a better player (equal or better picture quality, progressive-scan capability, DVD-Audio, SACD, etc.) for less than what the 'S7700 cost.
------------------
My:

Leon Van Dongen

Auditioning
I have the same problem with the Sony DVP-535D (Australia model). From what I have gathered it is a problem with the unit itself and supposedly a sony shop can fix it. I'm not sure what they do tho. I will be getting mine dropped off sometime this week to get fixed (it's a warrenty job).
If you search the dvdtalk forum for the problem, there are a couple of threads there relating to it.
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=137338
------------------

John Morton

Stunt Coordinator
My Sony DVP-560 has been excelent for 2 years now. My dad's Sony DVP-660 has an occasional noice (almost like the heads are trying to sync) and the lipsync problem. Where did any of you get the firmware upgrade? Was it a diy re-program or Sony authorized replacement?
Thanks!!
------------------

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My 560 has also worked flawlessly since I got it, but then so has my Panasonic A300U, which is right about 5yrs old (1st gen). Both occasionally will have problems with scratched or dirty discs, but on brand new discs neither has had an issue.
------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)
[Edited last by John Garcia on September 17, 2001 at 12:52 PM]

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
John Morton, are you saying that your dad has the Sony DVP-C660 and not the DVP-C650D? The reason I ask it that the lip-synch problem is known to be common to Sony's second-generation DVD players, which include the DVP-S330, 'S530D, 'S550D, and 'C650D. I have not heard of this problem afflicting third-generation models such as the 'S560D, 'C660, or 'C670D. I have the 'C670D and have never experienced lip-synching with it. The 'S330 I owned previously did have this problem.
Correction of the lip-synch problem requires an upgrade of the player's firmware, which can be done by an authorized Sony repair center. If the player is under warranty, you are covered.
------------------
My:

John Morton

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Keith!! You know what, I honestly thought I bought him the 660, but now you've got me wondering. I'll be at his house this weekend, will verify, and let you know (the retired pain in the ass refuses to get a phone!!).
Thanks for the info!!
:)
------------------

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
John, glad to help. Without even reading the model number on the front panel of the player, the 'C650D and 'C660 are very easy to distinguish from one another. First and foremost, the 'C650D is much taller than is the 'C660. Sony significantly decreased the height of its third-generation DVD players relative to the second. Also, the 'C650D has a headphone input on the front panel, and the 'C660 does not. It's also worth noting that the 'C650D has a built-in Dolby Digital decoder (hence the 'D' in the model number suffix) and the requisite 5.1-channel outputs, whereas the 'C660 has no such decoder or outputs.
the retired pain in the ass refuses to get a phone!!
LOL!
laugh.gif

------------------
My:

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
In some cases the lipsync problem on second generation units is done as warranty even if out of normal warranty time. Contact an authorized servicer or a Factory Service Center for more info.
Fingerprints can be real problem, since they are hard to see and are usually located at the layer switch point on the disks. The glue on the centers of some rental disks can cause them to stick off-center too.

John Morton

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry for the delay. I ended up not getting over to his house until last night. Thanks again Keith!!!
Actually, he does have the 660, but I'm wondering now if it's a defect in his unit? He has also mentioned in the past that he can sometimes hear "whirling" and "clicking" comming from the unit. I've never heard any of that myself, but have seen the lip synch twice. Well, I sure saw it all last night. The movie was going along perfectly and wham, whirling, clicking, lipsynch, and the picture got a little jittery (which he didn't even notice, but drove me crazier than the sound?????). He said this only happens on rare occasions. He watches movies that he borrows from me (I have about 300 now), and I ONLY have the lip synch problem with my 650, so I don't think it's the DVDs. I'm questioning his player. I think I'll take it in and get it serviced. Maybe a laser alignment will fix it right up? I'll also take mine in at the same time to get the firmware upgraded (can't hurt!!).
Thanks again!!
John
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks