Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Mits WT-42311 and viewing distance

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 Raymond Hubbard

Raymond Hubbard

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted February 25 2003 - 04:05 AM

Posted Image I'm considering the Mits WT-42311 because of the size and weight. The problem is that I'll sit about 6 feet from the screen. I will watch mostly cable with some progresive scan DVD's (75%/25%) ratio. A 36" tube is too heavy for my Sanus stand and I would like something larger than 32" but 34" wide screen tubes are just too expensive.

#2 of 3 Jim Williams

Jim Williams

Second Unit

• 367 posts

Posted April 22 2003 - 09:39 AM

The rule of thumb that I have seen is 1.5 - 2 times the diagonal size of the screen. In your case that would be 5.25' - 7' away from the screen. With that in mind, 6' is not too close.
"I reckon I'd like some of them french fried pertaters. Mm-hmm."
Karl Childers

#3 of 3 sean_pecor

sean_pecor

Stunt Coordinator

• 137 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 01:49 AM

For 75% regular 4:3 standard cable TV content I suspect that 6' from eyeball to screen may be a little too close but you would "adapt". If you're 6' from the edge of the sofa/chair to the screen, then your eyes are probably 8' from the screen and that would be just fine.

For DVD viewing, 6' from eyeball to screen on a 42" 16:9 is not too close at all. To achieve a 30 degree viewing angle (i.e., the backseat of a movie theater) the recommended distance is around 5.7 feet.

Sean.
President, Lead Developer
Digital Spinner, Inc.
http://www.digitalspinner.com