Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Another receiver comparison/question

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Paul_III

Paul_III

Agent

• 45 posts

Posted February 25 2003 - 12:39 AM

I was thinking about picking up the Denon AVR-3803 (actually originally the 3802 but some members here convinced me that the 3803 was a much better receiver), but at the suggestion of a friend I took a look at the Onkyo TX-SR800. Being a relative newbie to HT - I'm building my first HT right now - I figured I might as well take any advice I can get from those that are more experienced. Anyway, the more I read about it the more I'm starting to like the Onkyo. And for about the same price, the Onkyo looks to be somewhat better, it has the THX certification (although that's not super critical to me, but it is nice I guess). Anyway, now I'm leaning towards the Onkyo, and I was wondering if there are certain aspects of the Denon I'm overlooking, or if Onkyo is a lesser company than Denon, or any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor

• 794 posts

Posted February 25 2003 - 01:07 AM

They are both very good receivers. You won't go wrong with either. I own the 3803. The Denon has more inputs and features. The only thing the Onkyo has over the Denon is THX Select, which means very little. I could go on about how I feel the Denon is better, but it is probably my biased opinion. You need to go listen to both and let your ears decide.
The only way to safely double your money is to fold it over once and place it back in your pocket.

http://www.cube17576.com

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   NickK

NickK

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted February 25 2003 - 06:22 AM

I own last years Onkyo TS-DX797. It is my first Onkyo. I bought it after side by side comparisons with a Denon 3802, and a few others. I love the Onkyo and in my opinion, I think I made the right choice. It seems very clear sounding, easy to set up, powerful enough (though I have a separate amp for my fronts anyway), etc. However, in all honesty one person's preference and what they like to hear always might differ, so my best recommendation in to go get a side by side comparison if you can somewhere. As for me... I think I will stick with Onkyo the next upgrade as well, since I am happy with the one I have now.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Paul_III

Paul_III

Agent

• 45 posts

Posted February 25 2003 - 07:07 AM

OK, thanks guys! I just wanted to make sure they both had comparable technical features (being a newbie it's easy to miss a few due to inexperience), now the easy part: going to the store and listening to them!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users