What's new

Schindler's List announcement soon. (1 Viewer)

MarcinL

Stunt Coordinator
there is a scheduled release for Schnindler's List on 12/16/03 but it might be moved up to November as well, but it looks like 12/16 could be the date to coincide with 10 years anniversary. It is certainly possible that the director himself (you all know who I mean) to have the commentary on this DVD. Not sure about that fully yet, but it will have following

Movie will be spread across 2 discs

DTS 5.1
DD 5.1
DD 2.0 (french)
Featurrette (Making Of)
On Location: Oswiecim, Poland (Auschwitz Camp)
On Location: The Krakow Ghetto
Filmmakers Diary: Little Girl in Red Coat
Personal Introduction by Steven Spielberg
Production Notes
The Saviour Featurette: The Life of Oscar Schindler
The Survivors of Holocaust
Commentary By Steven Spielberg (Not a 100% sure, not confirmed yet)
Commentary by Liam Neeson, Ralph Fiennes and Ben Kingsley
Deleted Scenes
Soundtrack Via in Menu
3 Theatrical Trailers (U.S. and 2 Interantional)
6 TV Spots

Thats all for now, I dont know when They will announce this, because thats mostly what going to be on it, all the featurres are already completed or will be in near future, with exception of Steven Spielberg commentary, although we all know how he feels about this movie, and this period of history, As we all know he refused to be paid for this movie, because this would be like BLOOD MONEY.

I can pretty much guarantee all of this features except the commentary by Spielberg, But we should now in few weeks anyway.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
My guess is this is only half legit, the commentaries (even the one not featuring spielberg) throw up a red flag, as do the deleted scenes, Spielberg hasn't included any on any dvds prior--although he keeps a copy of them all at his house--they cause second guessing of the director, and like commentaries, he thinks they interfere too much with the presentation of the film.

Adam

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
While Spielberg HAS included deleted scenes on his DVDs in the past, the commentaries thing definitely casts a dubious light on this "announcement". There has never been a commentary on any DVD for a film Spielberg directed, and even if he wasn't on a track himself, I still don't think he'd allow a commentary track done by anyone else because it "takes away from the magic" :rolleyes. So, what are your sources on this? When you mention something this major, it's nice to see a little credibility :)

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
Sounds fishy to me too but if he would do a commentary for any of his films, this would be the film.

MarcinL

Stunt Coordinator
Unforunately I can't really give out a name of the source, but I will try to find a way to make everyone a little more calmer so I will get some proof here. I should have something by end of the week, anyways Like I said Spielberg commentary is not yet done, so its up to him, but the way everything points it look like it may be done, This movie hits close to home for him so you never know.

PaulEB

Stunt Coordinator
It is already available here:

Link Removed by owner - please contact owner
email to have account reinstated.

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
This is wonderful news... probably my most anticipated DVD release ever.

However, am I the only one surprised that the film will be spread across 2 discs? I mean, since the film is in black & white, shouldn't MPEG-2 compression result in a bitrate of approximately 33% less than normal color? I realize I'm comparing apples and oranges here, but, if you were to take a JPEG photo and convert it to grayscale but then still save it as RGB, then the file size would be approximately 33% smaller. After all, MPEG-2 is based on 24-bit color, so a black and white film would only be utilizing less than 1% of the available palette.

Don't get me wrong... I'm not complaining about the movie being split across 2 discs, but I'm just questioning whether it's actually necessary. Though, if there will, in fact, be multiple audio tracks and commentaries (hopefully!), then that probably means that my above argument is pointless. ;)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
However, am I the only one surprised that the film will be spread across 2 discs? I mean, since the film is in black & white, shouldn't MPEG-2 compression result in a bitrate of approximately 33% less than normal color? I realize I'm comparing apples and oranges here, but, if you were to take a JPEG photo and convert it to grayscale but then still save it as RGB, then the file size would be approximately 33% smaller. After all, MPEG-2 is based on 24-bit color, so a black and white film would only be utilizing less than 1% of the available palette
No, that's not how it works, in fact it may require MORE bits because of the harder lines

Jussi Tarvainen

Second Unit
In an interview with the British film magazine Empire about half a year ago, Spielberg remarked that the reason he doesn't do commentaries is not really because he believes they "take away from the magic" but more because he just doesn't like them nearly as much as documentaries. I can find the quote if you want.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Rain, why do you care that the movie is broken up across 2 discs?

Name me a format that Schindler has been released in where it ISN'T broken across multiple discs/tapes/reels

Answer: none

If it bothers you that much, buy a changer

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member

Name me a format that Schindler has been released in where it ISN'T broken across multiple discs/tapes/reels
Film leaps to mind... Sure, the theater received it in multiple reels, but when I sat down to watch it at the (now-defunct) Lincoln Plaza cinema in Worcester, MA, it played continuously from beginning to end.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Or FotR EE for that matter too. If it creates better A/V quality, I'm all for it. Especially with a longer movie, a disc change provides a great chance to drain the vein, so to speak, make more popcorn, grab another Coke, etc.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Because the film does not have an intermission.

I'm not convinced that a movie that runs 3 hours could not comfortably fit on a dual layer disc if the extras are put on a separate disc.

I thought we were past the "flipper" era.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks