What's new

TOP 10 & HONORABLE MENTIONS of Hollywood Celebrity/Film Making Satires! (1 Viewer)

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
(list will be continually updated as suggestions are posted)

After watching Link Removed last week and then more recently my wife and I watched Bowfinger it made me think of all the great satirical films based on Hollywood Celebrity/Film Making.

Current TOP 10 LIST:

Link Removed[/url]
Get Shorty
I love this film. It's a combination of great writing, directing, and acting.

Link Removed[/url]
The Player
This is a real classic, and while the humor is quite subtle it still gets its point across. This film also has many numerous Hollywood inside jokes which are fun to try and pick up on.

Link Removed[/url]
Link Removed
This is the "Caddyshack" for film makers!

Link Removed[/url]
Link Removed (submitted by Scott Kimball)
An absolute classic and a wonderful send-up of the traditional 20's film studios' environment.

Link Removed[/url]
Link Removed
This is a brilliant little gem of a satirical film and a must see for those that enjoy this genre!

Link Removed[/url]
Link Removed
I am always surprised how many critics didn't originally pick-up on this film's wonderful satire of film making hidden under the guise of theater.

Link Removed[/url]
Link Removed (submitted by Benson R)
I have not yet seen this film, but reviews should speak for themselves why this film has made its way onto the list.

Link Removed[/url]
Link Removed
Mel Brook's is one of film's greatest satirists and this send-up of the silent film era is a long misunderstood gem.

Link Removed[/url]
Link Removed
Blake Edwards has made several wonderful films poking fun at Hollywood and those effected by its environment, but this is certainly his best! This is also one of Peter Seller's best performances as well.

Link Removed[/url]
Link Removed
This is a great film, and defines the meaning of "Truth is stranger than fiction".

Current HONORABLE MENTIONS:

Link Removed
Link Removed (submitted by Derek Miner)
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Bowfinger
Link Removed (submitted by Jonathan Burk)
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed (submitted by Bob Graham)

What films of this genre do you all recommend and how would you rank them?

Here are a few other 'TOP 10 LISTS':
'TOP 10 & HONORABLE MENTIONS LIST of Films Featuring Poker'
'Top 10 War Related (comedic) Satires'
'TOP 10 & HONORABLE MENTIONS of Hollywood Celebrity/Film Making Satires!'
'Favorite Recent Phychological Horror/Thriller Films & those made in the 60's'
'Favorite Classic Detective Film-Noirs'
'Favorite Modern Detective Film-Noirs'
'Favorite "Guy's Guy" Movies/Games' (pt1)
'Favorite "Guy's Guy" Movies/Games' (pt2)
'Favorite Horror Films on DVD - Classic & Modern'
'Favorite Horror Films on DVD - Classic & Modern' (continued)
(for more just scroll down the page from that post)

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
This Is Spinal Tap is another good one, but it's more about the music industry and documentaries than about Hollywood movies.

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
W.C. Field's NEVER GIVE A SUCKER AN EVEN BREAK (not on DVD yet)

The finale of BLAZING SADDLES (with "The French Mistake")

Truffaut's DAY FOR NIGHT (coming to DVD next Month)-allegedly loosely based on Howard Hawk's HATARI but moved from animal hunting to film-making.

Jonathan Burk

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Burk

Don't forget "State and Main". It's not a great film, but definitely a fun send up of the film making process.

"Everybody needs a hobby."

Benson R

Supporting Actor
I think Adaptation should be in the top 10 even if its not really a straight forward comedy. I would also say that Bowfinger deserves to be in the top ten.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Anyone who enjoys "behind the curtain" views of filmmaking MUST see "Swimming With Sharks." Possibly my favorite Kevin Spacey performance.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Dan,

Its interesting you should bring up This is Spinal Tap as it was co-written by Christopher Guest (also played Nigel Tufnel, the Lead Guitarist of Spinal Tap) who happens to have also written and directed one of the films in my top 10 list Link Removed.

Christopher Guest IMO is today's greatest satirist. Besides these two satirical films, he also is responsible for such great satirical classics like: Link Removed; Waiting for Guffman; and Best in Show.

As much as I enjoy This is Spinal Tap and consider it one of the greatest satires, I left it off this list because the satire is really focused on those classic 70's UK heavy metal bands.

As you are obviously a fan, you might be interested to know that Christopher Guest's has a film coming out shortly (4/16/03) called Link Removed (got to love the title!) and will reunite Guest with is fellow band-mates from This is Spinal Tap (Michael McKean and Harry Shearer). The film is based on a sketch Guest wrote and performed on for SNL back in 1984 when he was a cast member. In fact both Harry Shearer (who was also a fellow SNL cast member), and Michael McKean (who was the host of SNL for that episode) were in the original skit and will be reprising their roles.

Basically it will be another "Mockumentary" like "Tap", only this time it will be about a fictional 60's folk band called "The Folksmen" and will cover their upcoming reunion concert at Carnegie Hall.

It should be hilarious. You can download the trailer here.

wally

Second Unit
Can't wait for A Mighty Wind anyone have a review of The Big Picture disc. Also on my top 10 list!

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Besides these two satirical films, he also is responsible for such great satirical classics like: The Princess Bride;
Just curious, but why did you include The Princess Bride? Is Christopher Guest an uncredited writer on the screenplay?

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
Joe Dante's HOLLYWOOD BOULEVARD, the story of Miracle Studios: "If it's a good picture, it's a miracle".

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Shadow of the Vampire is an excellent film.

I think 8 1/2 is a great film, even if it's not quite a satire. The film does, however, deal with the loss of creativity...and makes fun of the conventions of fans and analysts.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Jonathan, Bensen, Derek, and Bob,

Great suggestions!

I have not yet seen Link Removed, but it appears worthy enough to at least make it to the Honorable Mentions List.

I have also not yet seen Link Removed, but those that I know who have, loved it. Considering such high praise I'll take your word for it and add it into the Top 10 List.

I completely forgot about Link Removed. This is a great movie and a great satire. I'll have to put this at the top of the Honorable Mentions List.

I hadn't heard of Link Removed before, but I'll take your word for it and add it to the Honorable Mentions.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Hmmm... not one mention of "Singin' in the Rain."

Lina Lamont: "If we bring a little joy into your humdrum lives, it makes us feel as if our hard work ain't been in vain for nothing."

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Yikes... I Can't believe I forgot about Link Removed. Shame on me! Now the only question is where to rank it...

Its a fantastic film but the Top 10 is pretty loaded with great films filled with great satire.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Andrew,

No one forgot about Sunset Blvd. It just didn't make the list as it isn't a satire and thus doesn't qualify. Just like A Star Is Born, while these both are superb films that revolve around characters in the film industry, they are dramas.

A film is satirical when it takes on a subject in a comedic way by exaggerating the stereotypical characteristics of the personalities associated with the targeted subject.

There are many other fine films that revolve around the environment of film making, but if they aren't satirical then I am obviously suggesting they don't belong on this list.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
A film is satirical when it takes on a subject in a comedic way by exaggerating the stereotypical characteristics of the personalities associated with the targeted subject.
Comedy is not necessary in satire, although satire can certainly be comedic. A satire is a work meant to expose flaws in its target(s), and this can be done with drama, as well. The satires of Juvenal, an ancient Roman poet, for example, were not comedic (although they contained some ironic comedy).

DJ

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Damin,

Sorry, but by your definition of a satire, the majority of all films ever made are then satires - as they each expose flaws in their target. Films about alcoholics would then all be satires, films about abusive spouses and parents would be satires. Films about greed, adultery, crime, etc would all be satires - by your definition. Those are all favorite targets by film makers, but they are not satirical.

Satire is about exaggerating stereotypes and their stereotypical characteristics, flawed or otherwise, in a comedic way. It doesn't necessarily mean it has to be a full blown comedy - as several of the films on the list certainly are not and in fact many involve some serious doses of drama, but when they are humorous its because of the satire.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Satire is about exaggerating stereotypes and their stereotypical characteristics, flawed or otherwise, in a comedic way.
Sorry, but you're mistaken. As Webster's puts it, satire is "a literary work holding up human vices and follies to ridicule or scorn." A satiric film would therefore be one that holds human vices and follies to ridicule or scorn. Comedy is not necessary, although it can be a part of it. You're certainly allowed to limit your list project to comedic satires, but you're ruling out satiric films on an improper understanding of the term.

DJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks