What's new

Replace Front trio or B-4+ or Everest? (1 Viewer)

Steve Morgan

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I am looking for more bass in my 6000 cubic foot area.I currently have a Paradigm Servo 15 and a Von Schweikert S/3 equlized by a BFD.My system is by Von Schweikert Audio. The Vr3.5's/LCR35/TS350's in a 7.1 configuration. My options are going to the LCR40 and the VR4 Jr. Left, Right and Center which are rated at 22hz-40khz or the B-4 or the Everest. What do you think?
Thanks,
Steve

I would go for the big sub myself.
As far as which, that is definitely a personal opinion.

I would have gotten a pair of SVS Ultras or CS+, until my wife saw my friends 20-39PC+ {which I recommend to him} and said no cylinders in our home.

I have a Sealed Tumult ordered for Acoustic Vision's and will power it with a QSC amp. I have a small room ~15L x ~12W x ~9T, {and I prefer sealed subs} so one tumult and 1450 watts, should fit the bill.

Mark Seaton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark Seaton
I too would first recommend the sub if you are looking for stronger/better bottom end. The Tumult/PR system will take the cake for low frequency extension. My personal preference would be to use a pair of Denali Subwoofers. The Denali includes the amplifier, so you are covered there. A pair should be similar in price to what a B4 would cost with amplification. Of course if you only have one corner for the subwoofer, and the height doesn't bother you, go for the Everest and put a big amp on it, probably a K2.

The B4 would certainly provide prodigious clean bass in your room and will have more headroom above maybe 25Hz due to efficiency.

John Doran

Screenwriter
steve,

i'll cast my vote for the B4+. i have one and it's incredible.

though the everest is probably better below 20hz (whatever that actually amounts to in real-world listening - my B4 is tuned to 16hz and i have yet to find its limits at my listening position 11 feet away), it's 48" height presents a larger volume profile than that of the B4+. i can tell you that the fit and finish of the B4 is stunning. let me know if you'd like to see a couple of pictures of it in my room.

so it's performance vs. aesthetics/available space - only you can make that call.

either way, you can't lose.

- jd

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Kyle's work is quite stunning, rounded edges and all, so it comes down to a larger enclosure (smaller "footprint...just taller). If you don't mind the taller box, I'd agree with Mark (it's always smartest to agree with Mark, anyway. :) ).

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if sealed would be a better way to go considering Steve's system is already weighted heavily towards music. Something with a Qtc=.577 sounds really good to me. He'd still be well over 110dB at 20Hz with room gain. But balls to the wall works too! :)

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Yep, a sealed Tumult is still no slouch in output compared to even some of the good ported designs and will go lower than low. Very small box, also, with Tumult.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
I'd recommend both a B4 and the Everest (since I'm not paying for it:D ) and let them play tug o'war with your home environment.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
The only competitor to the Everest and the B4 might be the Stryke power 15.4 or 15.6 (again different footprint and size) which should all be very similar in perfomance and most likely even the worst of the bunch will easily power a room of this size by themselves, but with two should be quite devastating.

TommyL

Supporting Actor
John...when you stated this...

so it's performance vs. aesthetics/available space - only you can make that call

Does the B4 really give up performance? If it has more umph @ 25hz, and less @ 20hz..and this is a IF on both cases...it really isn't giving up performance to anyone. yes, on one end it is, and its giving it back on another. kind of like a 70's muscle car geared for the 1/4 mile vs a 2000's viper hanging 0-150 ....you are going to give a little somewhere...and if its that close, there are a few selective ones we all could use to determine which one suits our needs best:

appeal to me/looks---->(one company is mailing me wood (clone of mine) I have in my HT room stained with many different stains used to make SURE I get EXACTLY what I want...this wasn't my idea..it was there's)

service

availability

proven reliabilty

test results from professional reviewers

On paper it all looks pretty even....I think size plays a big role in your statement...therefore, if all is equal (who knows?) swoop the B4 up..just like you did:)

SC Trojan

Agent
Real Name
Gary
I would third Mark Seaton's advice and go for the pair of Denalis! With multiple subs you can work with room nodes and other placement/balance issues.

TommyL

Supporting Actor
JACK, IF IF IF(because there ARE no known FACTS/numbers (john had said the everest may have the lower end wrapped up)...I'm simply making the point that there are numbers swirling around about both companies...The B4 has had a few thrown out there from current owners, and I haven't heard a word about the everest(not a big deal though)..therefore the IF'S are in effect as nothing is solid...IF all other things aside are even (service yada yada) you'd have to go further down the ladder...size becoming a factor in many homes with either space or wife:) I think SVS may feel there is a limit to size and how many you will lose interest too if its too big...if the everest tops the spl's of the B4+, I wouldn't care...the everest is a frig as far as I'm concerned...I'd be hard-pressed to buy it for 1/2 price if I had to keep it, as its just too big(even if its tops out there), and I'd probably need to find a home myself(wife would boot me) :) leading back to the subject this person started, between the 2, without hearing them(online) seeing them up close, or seeing any professional legit numbers everyone is seeking, you have a tough decision...the B4 is being reviewed in the near future I recall reading...and if those numbers don't top out at what you need, then just buy the mountain, and think you have the better of the 2...its a shot in the dark...I won't switch from svs...too good..too honest..why should i ( he is asking us OUR OWN opinions correct?)

Steve Morgan

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Thank you all for the input. I received an e-mail from a highly respected acoustician and speaker designer. He has won awards for his speakers as well as designing for other companies. Has been reviewed in major magazines and been in the industry for years. He feels that what I am lacking is a response in the mid bass to low mid bass due to the fact that my VR3.5's do not have enough woofer surface to give me that warm bass feeling in such a larger room. He feels that the 2 subs I currently have are enough to pressurize the room. The room is open on both ends, one end into a kitchen and the other a hallway which gives me the 7500 to 8000 cubic ft. area. It is difficult living in a small town where there is no such thing as in home demo. To do this the shipping costs would be enough to buy a mid-fi system.:frowning: I am no expert so I tend to listen to the experts and get opinions of real users that use the forums. It is hard to know what route to take. I know the designers want to sell there product and will push in that direction so what to believe is an educated crap shoot. Just wanted to vent and let you all know that I am following the thread and thank all of you for your advice.
Thank You,
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks