What's new

Popeye out this year (1 Viewer)

PatrickL

Deceased Member
Is that the real cover art at postage-stamp size? I'm goin' pop-eyed myself tryin' to make out if it says "Widescreen Collection" on top. Please, let it be!

After this and "3 Women," only about 18 Altmans left to be released. :)

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
This IS good news -- maybe they'll even include some deleted scenes?? (though I am not holding my breath). I recall the guy who played Bluto going off on how Altman cut nearly every good scene out of the film, and that the cast was shocked when they saw the final cut at what had been taken out of it.

Also, maybe this will pave the way for DRAGONSLAYER -- another Disney/Paramount co-production -- to finally nab a DVD release??

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Maybe they will have something about Nilsson who did the soundtrack to the movie...besides a song he wrote for Ringo, the last thing he did before he died.
Probably not...........

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
My stupid brother plays "Food Food Food" every night when we eat dinner.

He downloaded it from Kazaa

Yes he has WAYYYYYYYY to much time on his hands

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
POPEYE was always one of those films that never made much sense to me, but kept me enthralled nonetheless. It's a mess, but a terribly interesting mess. I'd love to see this one in widescreen. I used to own the 8 track of the soundtrack and still own the paperback "The Making of Popeye".

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
My wife and I saw the movie when it opened, but she was only able to snatch the VHS copy of it a short time back-several years. This DVD will be extremely good news for her!

Her favorite: "(He's)Large!":D
It cracks us up every time we hear Olive/Shelly Long sing that.:)

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
Oh my gosh ...:b
I can NOT believe I said that! I had just read a Cheers thread and I guess I had her on my mind.

Thanks Jeff!

Todd_B

Second Unit
This is glorious news. I've been a huge fan of this little piece of work since seeing it on TV when I was a youngin'.

I'll pick this one up for sure :emoji_thumbsup:

Todd B

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I caught a little of Paramount's previous transfer (Popeye is one of a handful of Paramount films with only one NTSC transfer before a DVD remaster, including The Elephant Man) and it's downright...

as Popeye would say, disgustipating.

This is a weird film, but I'm looking forward to it. I love the classic cartoons (mainly Fleischer) and I like the comic strip. This takes the best from the two (the characterizations are exactly like the Fleischer cartoons).

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Wow, finally!! :D:D

How come nobody told me???

You know I have a bizarre fetish for this movie!

Thanks for the scoop, Oscar. I'm not at all surprised you got the First Word from DavisDVD.com

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
a nice 16x9 transfer would be nice (and most likely will happen). It would be nice as someone mentioned if some deleted scenes are included or restored back into the film.

"..but he's LARGE..."

-dave :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks